The Woodwhiper Shop Apron.

Review by Ken90712 posted 381 days ago 3681 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Woodwhiper Shop Apron. The Woodwhiper Shop Apron. The Woodwhiper Shop Apron. Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Woodwhisper Shop Apron;

Over the years I have been trying a couple of different aprons while working in the shop. The one thing I didn’t like was the strap pulling on my neck. I wasn’t a big fan of the leather ones as they were just too stiff for me. I had a cheap one from Home depot that was only a cpl bucks, but it pulled on my neck too much.. So a cpl weeks ago Blondie was cleaning out my work clothes for the woodshop and mentioned about 10 of my T-shirts are trashed from all the wood glue on it. I wipe my hands on them when gluing up cutting boards trying to get them aligned perfectly.

She mentioned I should look for a shop apron. So I was on Google and searching and reading about for all the different ones. I found one on a web site that I have been on and is responsible for my cutting board addiction. March Spagnuolo (aka Woodwhisper). While reading about it, I was impressed on some of the things he incorporated into this apron.

1st, The straps crisscross on the top so it does not pull on your neck.

2nd,It is easy to put on and strap the back with one click. The straps seem heavy duty and should last for a long time.

3rd, The pockets on top for pencils, reading glasses (new for me Ugh) or ruler Ect. Are a nice touch.

4th, The four pockets on the bottom have flaps on them keeping out unwanted sawdust.

5th, A split in the middle allowing more freedom and movement when bending over or kneeling.

And it just looks cool. I asked Blondie if she could make a shop Apron economically and after looking at this one she said buy it is worth it. Well didn’t have to tell me twice right.

Over all I feel at $49.00 this will serve me well. I have worn it for almost 2 weeks now and like it a lot. So I thought I would share the info with our fellow LumberJocks…

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Looks nice!

I have an apron that my wife made for me from an old one my dad had…
(actual cost was nothing… and I like it…)

I keep forgetting to put it on… and yes, I mess up T-Shirts the same way you do… sometimes, even my pants (cheap shorts or sweats)... Maybe I should get into the habit of wearing it more…

Maybe if I took it off the hanger on the door… and just laid it across the bench, etc. I’d wear it more?!

Keep it out in the open where I have to wear it or move it somewhere else! LOL

Thanks for the write-up…

View plantek's profile

plantek

A good aprons a valuable tool…

-- If you want it and it's within reason... It's on it's way!

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review, Ken!

I have been in the market for a new apron, for a while now. Mine has all the characteristics that no one likes- but my sister made it. It is at the point now where I no longer have to hang it up- it stands by itself from all the glue!

I need to check Mark’s site for this one.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View socrbent's profile

socrbent

Ok – I’ll bite – Who you gonna whip on?

-- socrbent Ohio

Nice apron.
I never thought I would say that to another man.

I use the Deluth fire hose apron, which is a good one too. Improves workshop efficiency by 300%, no longer looking for pencils and combination squares.

View thelt's profile

thelt

Yep, T’shirts and jeans. Jeans get it the worse with Gorilla Glue, it doesn’t wash out, can’t scrap it off. About the only thing that can be done is make shorts out of ‘em if the glue isn’t too high up.

I use the Rockler apron and has helped a lot.

-- When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

I like the flaps over the pockets…. I use a Woodcraft Apron, and the pockets are always filling up with chips….

I’d like to try the ‘X’ straps…. but my wife got me this one for Fathers Day, so I’ll make due.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View stefang's profile

stefang

Looks like a great apron Ken. I just can’t imagine anyone wiping glue on their t-shirt. I always drip mine on.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

Thanks for the review. I should really get one of these. It’s almost embarassing that just about everything I own has either titebond 3, CA, or some type of finish on it.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

Thx everyone. I agree and i’m going to try and stay cleaner except for the apron LOL

Stefang thats funny!!!!! I like that, So not only do I wipe it on I drip as well….Nice one.

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

My wife and i just had the same talk about needing an apron. I’ll check this on out. Thanks :)

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

View Roger's profile

Good review, Ken.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thanks Kenn.
Really good review.
I just bought my self a set of work clothes, since I was tired of trashing clothes…
Best thoughts,
Mads

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Ken, if i didn’t wear bib overalls everyday I would definitely wear one of these. Thanks for the review.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View bones's profile

bones

And guild members save 10 percent thats 5 bucks if you use the math I learned back in the day. Not sure about the new math there teaching
but it must be different everybody always ends up with a deficit.
Going to order mine now.

-- bones