Grizzly G0690 even with problems still good value

Review by pjones46 posted 04-05-2013 04:49 AM 4200 views 1 time favorited 46 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0690 even with problems still good value No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Based on many of the reviews I have read, the Grizzly G0690 Cabinet saw was the best bang for the buck. As there have been many reviews given I will only add a few comments to those that I have read.

The saw arrived without a ding, dent or missing part and went together well. I was very disappointed with wiring as it appeared to be only 14 gauge wire with a 220 plug configuration I had never seen. I had my electrician rewire it completely with 12 gauge wire and use a more conventional twist lock plug as my whole shop is twist lock.

Anyway, had to wait for about two weeks for the changes and then plugged it in and it would not run. I called Grizzly Tech Support, who were very patient, understanding and helpful; they sent me a new capacitor n/c and sent me an instruction sheet to adjust the centrifugal switch inside the motor. The instruction sheet in no way was for this motor so I sent them an email and basically said I wanted a new motor and within a day they shipped one out no charge and without a question or problem. Installed the motor which was a pain to do and everything is running beautifully.

However, now after using the saw for a time, I do not like their fence set up as when you lock it in position it moves the position closer to the blade and out of the adjusted dimension of the cut. I have adjusted, readjusted and it still moves about a 1/16” when you go to lock it in position. Guess I will just have to learn to live with that for now.

Overall still a good value for the money and I am very pleased with their no quibble customer service, but I do have a few suggestions for Grizzly.

1. They could try every motor to insure they run before they ship out a tool and that would cut down problems like mine before it got to the field.

2. Make darn sure they sent out the correct literature for any field corrections.

3. Change the wiring to a heavier gauge and add an option for plug configuration/type wanted by the customer.

4. Continue with the no quibble replacement as it was a pleasant surprise and indicates to me that they stand behind what they sell.

All said and done, I give a five star to the warranty support, but only 4 stars overall because IMHO their fence arrangement needs some work.

-- God is great, the Beer is good and people are Crazy. www.pauljoneswoodworks.com

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#1 posted 04-05-2013 06:44 AM

I’m surprised the warranty wasn’t voided on the motor with the custom rewire. Anyway, thanks for the review. Maybe after getting broke-in , the fence will stop moving.

Never really heard of any issues with the wiring before. Bottom line is, you got good customer service.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#2 posted 04-05-2013 07:36 AM

Since there are so many variations on 220 plugs, I’m surprised they even had a plug on it. Many tools come without, so you can choose your own to fit your outlet configuration. As for 14 gauge wire, many 220 tools have it, as the amperage draw with 220 is only half that of 110.

I also can’t help wondering if your electrician did something wrong in rewiring it. I agree with Ron that Grizzly could well have refused to accept the motor back as it had been modified by an unauthorized person.

#3 posted 04-05-2013 02:31 PM

First of all, it was determined that the centrifugal switch Inside the motor was the problem and electricians do not crack the motor open to rewire it.

Second, there are only three wires to deal with so, for you non electricians, you replace color for color on all connections and if my eyes were better even this monkey could have done it.

Third, our state law requires us to use licensed electricians for any wiring changes and must meets not only national code but our state code which requires 12 gauge for the rating of this motor.

So, in short, if you do not meet state code and you should have a fire or some other problem; your insurance could be null and void. Unfortunately, I do not live in a state that follows just the national code.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#4 posted 04-05-2013 06:21 PM

Single phase, 3 HP, 220 v, motors will draw 12 to 13 amps. 14 ga. wire is good up to 15 amps. So they “correctly” sized the wiring.

Unless you are running a long supply cord to the saw, “upgrading” to 12 ga. was not needed, and indeed, can cause problems. How? The motor starter terminals are most likely sized for the 14 ga. wire that was specified by the designer. So remaking the connections with 12 ga. wire can actually cause problems and give you a less than ideal connection.

I’ve personally seen this with economy residential light switches and outlets. Most have screw terminals for use with 14 or 12 ga. wire, but the quick connect terminals are labeled “14 ga. max”, even though you can shove a 12 ga. wire in there and make the connection. I’ve seen this done and later on there was an audible crackling noise from the switches and the lights would flutter for a fraction of a second when turned on. If you want to use quick connects with 12 ga. wire you need to purchase the “commercial” grade switches and outlets.

So bigger isn’t always better.

If all your terminals are sized for up to 12 ga. you’re good to go. But these import saws don’t meet their price point by using components that are larger than required.

I wish you luck with the saw, but I think others who read about your experience should think twice b4 they presume to be more knowledgeable about any tools design and electrical requirements than the engineers who specified it.

You may have never seen a NEMA 6-20 plug, but regardless, that is the correct one to use for connection to a 220 volt, 20 amp circuit…. unless you are connecting to a hanging plug, in which case a NEMA L6-20 (twist locking) would be the way to go.

The plug, wiring, and all other details that you’re referring to are all spelled out in the saws manual, which Grizzly posts on their web. site in .pdf format for a free download.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View chalky2's profile

chalky2

#5 posted 04-05-2013 08:23 PM

I have a Grizzly tablesaw and ran into similar problems but with different results. Within the first month of operation I had to have the motor replaced. Grizzly was easy to deal with no problems with the replacement. A little over a year later, the new motor shut down again. called Grizzly -their response was motor out of warranty. Explained this was the second motor in 12 1/2 months and their response was returned it and we will sell you a new one . Took it to a local shop and they fixed it but said the motor was incapable of reaching the amps listed on it. Called Grizzly and their response was motor made someplace in Asia and not their responsibility. Last Grizzly purchase for me.

#6 posted 04-05-2013 09:14 PM

The NEMA 6-20 plug is exactly what it was and all my electrical is from ceiling, therefore, should be a twist lock.

Second, motor Full-Load Current Rating is 12.8, however at startup it spikes to over 15. In MA, Full-Load Current Rating must be multiplied by a factor of 1.3 which is 16.64 and therefore wiring must be bumped up one size to 12 gauge and my point.

Third, if it were plugged into a wall socket the cord must have a strain relief on it also, and there was not. To put it bluntly, maybe in your state it is ok but not here in MA.

Further, the Motor is the cheapest POS made in China and I am sure that it will have to be replaced sooner vs later. As I said up front good value for what you pay but no way a five star.

As far as anything else, Grizzly determined that it was the centrifugal switch inside the motor as they said they were having problems with them.

Lastly, I trust what my electrician in this state tells me and another point is that it should meet the state requirements that it shipped into not just notational standards. You get what you pay for from any company but don’t act like a Grizzly company rep with his head up his ass spouting excuses for selling cheap imports pushed to their limits.

The problem is most people do not know what they are buying, including me, but have to make a balanced purchase considering their pocket book and posting specs on the their web site just covers their ass for refusing warranty coverage later on down the line.

All things being equal, I would make the same purchase but would have preferred Grizzly make sure the dame thing ran before it shipped as it seems extreamly strange the new motor was tested before it was shipped and worksfine, the original did not.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#7 posted 04-05-2013 09:58 PM

As far as electricians go, put ten of them in a room and you’ll get ten different interpretations about any code, and their interpretation of the code often varies with the current inventory status of their van.

As for MA and their love of over-regulation… you have my sympathies.

Good luck with the saw, just the same

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

#8 posted 04-06-2013 01:02 AM

You are absolutely correct about MA……just like Washington; everybody’s hand is in the pie, but a story for another day. Don’t get me going on these fools. Small business is being screwed with over-regulation.

View ShaneA's profile (online now)

ShaneA

#9 posted 04-06-2013 01:20 AM

So, you got a new cabinet saw…the motor is bad, and the fence is moving and it still gets four stars? I think I would have been pretty upset about a saw that doesn’t work. So you are a patient and forgiving man. Seems to me, that Grizzly is kind of a roll of the dice. On one hand they offer great bang for the buck. On the other hand their QC seems to be questionable at best. If you get a “good one” you are golden. If you don’t you are in for delays and problems.

It is a constant to hear they have good support, but if the QC wasn’t so spotty this would be less of a “positive”.

Congrats on the new saw, hopefully you will get the kinks ironed out and it will serve you well for a long time.

View chopnhack's profile

chopnhack

#10 posted 04-06-2013 02:01 AM

Congrats on the new saw Paul!! Sorry to hear you had a bad run on it. I don’t think the fence thing is doable. I would work with there customer support until that is either resolved or replaced. Totally unacceptable. I have worked with fences that you couldn’t trust, but not after buying a brand new saw… As for the motors, shame that they don’t stand behind their product, but they are consumable items imho and when it blows, you can replace with whatever quality you want at that point if the saw justifies it.
I just got a b.s. from the Grizzly and so far so good. Not prewired so I added my own 12g power cord, could have gone 14g, but like you, upsized it for the in-rush current. The connection is made between other wires with wire nuts so no connector issues there.

-- Sneaking up on the line....

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#11 posted 04-06-2013 02:07 AM

My Grizz fence did the same thing. My “fix” makes no sense at all but it worked: I cleaned and waxed the rail and that square plate that grips the fence when locked and the problem went away. Your mileage may vary but mine works fine as long as I keep the rail and plate clean and waxed.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

#12 posted 04-06-2013 03:52 AM

My grizzly stuff came with no end on it

I used nema 6-20; it’s on the ceiling for one of three outlets and never had a prob with it

I’m in MA too, not sure about the regulation you are talking about; the. Again I ran the electrical for 220 all myself (12 gauge in the wall and 20 amp breaker)

The 12gauge wire for the draw if that saw is perfectly fine

Ev

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#13 posted 04-06-2013 04:05 PM

The review was great because you were able to recognize both the manufacturer issue and customer service support as separate experiences. It seems you offered a genuine accounting for both and if gives credibility to your review.

Thanks for shootin’ it straight.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

#14 posted 04-06-2013 09:35 PM

Congrats on the saw, sorry for the issues, I agree, contact with Grizzly over the fence is a must

-- Norman

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

#15 posted 04-06-2013 11:04 PM

Just a thought on the internal rewire…

Current capacity of wire is a function of wire length. Short internal wires don’t need to be as big as longer external cords. It’s not uncommon to see short wires inside a motor housing much smaller than the main power cable. This is not “cheaping out”, and is not dangerous. Your electrician should know this.

This is the same reason why we switch to larger wire gauges as extension cords get longer.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...