Great Tool .. Very powerful but easy to master

Review by fstellab posted 513 days ago 3023 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Tool .. Very powerful but easy to master No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this planner as a impulse buy from the Bosch -CPO website. When it came in I put the box on a shelf somewhere, and felt guilty.

Then, I got a real good deal on rough lumber, so I had to take it out of the box. the tool impressed me with its rock solid feel, this no toy, this tool means business. The first few tries were not so good, but I started to get reasonable results in a few days.

My skill at using the tool improved rapidly, the trick is keep the little arrows pointed straight, and let the toll do the rest of the work.

Now I use the Bosch Planer almost every day. you can set it as small as 1/16 th of an inch, which is like using a belt sander, but faster.

-Fred

-- Fred Stellabotte (kamado@comcast.net)

View fstellab's profile

fstellab

View reedwood's profile

reedwood

Good planer.
I have the one with the dust bag and adjustable fence which is good for beveling an exterior door.
You can also turn the knob slowly to zero while cutting if needed.

two sided carbide blades too – sweet.

-- Mark - I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude. - Malo periculosam

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

I also have the same tool with the dust bag and it is awesome! I’ve been using it on my front and back porch remodel to bevel the edges of all the deck boards.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

View Amoc's profile

Amoc

I was looking at one similiar to this that also serves as a joiner. Gonna have to look in the old piggy bank!

-- Ken from Ft Hood, TX

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Thanks for the post.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View DustyMark's profile

DustyMark

I bought a reconditioned one from CPO when I built a ski boat in 2008. It did a great job of fairing the curves on the hull. I use it when I need to remove a lot of wood on odd pieces such as tapered back rests or large bevels on seat blanks. I saw someone on LJ’s that said they used theirs like a scrub plane. That’s a pretty good description. It cuts fast and smooth! Try hooking it up to your shop vac…it’s amazingly clean to use with a hose sucking almost all the chips away. I even use it in my shop annex in the fourth bedroom that way!

-- Mark, Minnesota

Nice tool I have a different brand but love mine. Enjoy!

View fstellab's profile

fstellab

Amen to the dust bag, and connecting to shop vac. One day I neglected to connect the bag, it created an incredible mess in my garage. I was finding the saw chips for days after that.

-Fred

-- Fred Stellabotte (kamado@comcast.net)

View curliejones's profile

curliejones

Just tried a Porter Cable that gets 4-1/2 starts on Amazing. It looked great but had a bad trigger that cuts off with the slightest change in angle/pressure. Wondered why it was half the price of the Yellow competition and suspect the price diff is in the inner workings. Sending it back. Glad to hear good things about the Bosch but it only got 2-1/2 starts out of 5 in reviews on Amazing.

-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"