Review of Dust Deputy by Oneida

Review by Todd A. Clippinger posted 03-30-2013 04:24 PM 4642 views 3 times favorited 56 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Dust Deputy by Oneida Review of Dust Deputy by Oneida Review of Dust Deputy by Oneida Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought my Dust Deputy 3 years ago and have been using it regularly since then. Many of you have probably looked at the Dust Deputy and considered purchasing the plastic cyclone with some hesitation, unsure of how it really performs.

In this video I give some good context as to how I use it, with what tools, and how I have it set up. I also open up the Dust Deputy bucket to show how much dust is inside after 3 months of use, and then I open the shop vacuum to see how much dust made it past the cyclone. I think you will be amazed.

While the dust Deputy works great, I give the Dust Deputy 4 stars because I am hung up a bit on the high price point, I paid $60 for the cyclone alone from Rockler. However, I will admit that it has paid for itself in my shop in the 3 years that I have been using it professionally.

You can check out my original Dust Deputy review here.

Your friend in the shop-

Share the Love-Share the Knowledge

This is the filter that I use in my Ridgid Shop Vacuum that is connected to the Dust Deputy.

DSCN0433

Details for the connections.

DSCN0405

DSCN0411

To keep the Dust Deputy from tipping over, it sits in another bucket with some ballast in it. In this case, I used some framing nails that were busting out of their cardboard box in my shop.

DSCN0416

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#1 posted 03-30-2013 04:42 PM

I agree with you 110%...

I have had the Dust Deputy for a few years also… and simply LOVE IT!

It’s absolutely amazing how well it works!

EDIT:

Cool TIP on the Festool hose! I will check it out! It’s a pain trying to connect some of those small connections, like from my PC ROS!

I use a cheap Router switch to control the shopvac… I have the switch mounted on a hooked piece of wood where it can me moved and Hung over things, etc. Works great!

My DD is my primary dust control system… moveing it to Bnad saw, Table saw, router table, sanders, etc.

Thank you!

#2 posted 03-30-2013 04:50 PM

Joe – At the time of the purchase I was put off by the price. I will say I recommend it though after 3 years of use. It works so well and has saved me so much time that I have to admit that it was worth the cost.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#3 posted 03-30-2013 05:05 PM

I waited until it was on Sale and FREE Shipping! LOL I think it was $69.95… a real savings from $90 + shipping

I have Rigid shop vac… I built added a side shelf that wraps around the vac and holds the Dust Deputy too… All of it is easy to move around… although I don’t have to move it around very much… I have it pretty well centrally located in my garage and a long hose that goes to the machines…

Did you enter this Review TWO TIMES?!

Keep this one… if you’re going to delete one… LOL

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1580 posts in 1956 days

#4 posted 03-30-2013 05:21 PM

I suppose I have no excuse for not having one of these, since I draw dust from a random orbital sander directly into a shopvac, and the filter is constantly overwhelmed.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

#5 posted 03-30-2013 09:06 PM

Todd: I replaced all of my filter media in both the Ridgid and the Lowes Shop vac with Hepa filters I have completely filed up the vac container and the hose solid with wood chips before the vacuum motor started to complain. So I didn’t notice if you are using Hepa or standard MFG. filter media. Around here the Hepa filters cost about $25 – $30 but I’ve found better filtering and less duct getting back into the air.

I’ll have to look into the DD arrangement and possibility set that up at the toy workshop because we are always emptying the ShopVacs.

#6 posted 03-30-2013 09:10 PM

One foot note. don’t use an air hose to clean a Heps filter. It’s OK to use water to clean them out but the air hose will take the Hepa filter media off of the fabric underneath.

View Milo's profile

Milo

851 posts in 1984 days

#7 posted 03-30-2013 09:55 PM

Great Review, and I echo the comments regarding the festoon hose. Many times reviewer forgets those little details. But good lord, it’s $155.00! I will have to keep looking. Thanks!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

#8 posted 03-30-2013 09:57 PM

JJohnston – The Dust Deputy makes a world of difference, you will wonder why you didn’t get it sooner.

#9 posted 03-30-2013 10:22 PM

Milo – The next best hoses are at Home Depot. I have both the large and small hoses. They are only about $38 or $40. They are very flexible, do a decent job at dissipating static, swivel at both ends, and come with a variety of fittings.

The blue high grade hoses from Lowe’s only swivel on one end and it just kills an otherwise nice hose.

I will have to cover these and how I hook them up to my tools in a future video.

#10 posted 03-30-2013 10:23 PM

Karson – I added a picture in the review entry of the dust filter I use.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#11 posted 03-31-2013 01:24 AM

Another great review Todd! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We all appreciate it!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View ward63's profile

ward63

#12 posted 03-31-2013 02:27 AM

Great review! I will seriously have to rethink my space problem to be able to incorporate the DD. I have the same Bosch sander and I’m just using its vacuum filter, and its loaded after about 3 hours of use with a coating of dust everywhere in my shop.
Thank you for the excellent review.

View Matt Przybylski's profile

Matt Przybylski

#13 posted 03-31-2013 03:03 AM

I just purchased a DD when Woodcraft had their 10% off everything sale but have yet to have a chance to hook it up. I’m eagerly awaiting time to do so.

As for the Festool hose, I have it from my CT36 but I also bought this which is a Bosch version of the 35mm hose (non anti static). It’s currently $35 but I bought it for $28 (just keep an eye on it im sure price will drop). The picture is incorrect as the fitting on the end is AN EXACT REPLICA of the festool hose fitting (as evidenced by the photo from a buyer in the photos section). http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-5-Meter-Vacuum-Hose/dp/B0000AV78B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364698798&sr=8-1&keywords=Bosch+vacuum+hose

-- Matt, Illinois, http://www.reintroducing.com

#14 posted 03-31-2013 04:28 AM

Matt – thanks for the heads up on the Bosch hose. The antistatic feature of the Festool hose works even on this setup and it is kind of a bonus.

I have other hoses that will discharge on my occasionally and it can be quite painful at times. Once I actually thought to myself that if I had a pacemaker the shock likely would have messed it up:)

#15 posted 03-31-2013 04:29 AM

I an also guilty of ot having one of these, when there is an identified need

-- Norman