very good for the price

Review by DAC posted 487 days ago 1732 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
very good for the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had to spray some General Finshes Enduro-Var water base poly. Not really poly as it is water based. After thining with about 15 percent water and a couple healthy squirts of General Finishes dry time extender I got the results I needed. A smooth flat top coat. After drying I used Micro-mesh sanding pads. 1500 to 12000 grit.
I still need to get some 1 micron polish from Micro-mesh to get that extra eye popping mirror like finish.
29 gal Harbor Freight commpressor 7.3 cfm at 40 psi and 5.9 at 90 psi. I have an air dryer with regulator also from Harbor Freight and I set the pressure at 50 lbs. Getting the thing apart for cleaning the first time was a bit of a pain as the factory over tightens the nozzel. nothing a hammer on the wrench did not cure. just some light tapping.
So I do recommend this tool. I bought 2 of them so I have one for water and the other for oil. One thing I noticed is that the air cap and needle have the size stamped into them bot not the nozzle. So if you buy the 2.0 mm option just be carefull so as not to get the nozzles mixed up.
Fan adjustment is easy and the knob location is perfect. Some of the machining for the body parts could be better but the nozzle, needle, and air cap are fine. But for 40 bucks you cant go wrong. Just keep it clean and healthy as I did not see any replacement parts for sale. It is a coffee table. Cocobola top and Wenge sides and legs. Draw is a piece of Wenge with a piece of Cocobolo layered on top.
I will also be building two matching end tables. The picture does not do this table justice as it was from a few months ago. I will post a better picture when I am truly finsihed with the finish.

-- Wood is a zen like experiance.

View DAC's profile

DAC

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

One thing to keep in mind; the insides of the gun are NOT stainless steel, so after using with waterborne finishes, you’ll want to flush the gun with denatured alcohol and blow it dry thoroughly, otherwise you’ll get rust.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View BentheViking's profile

BentheViking

ive been thinking about getting this gun…glad to see another favorable review

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

I like this gun too. P.C. makes a gravity feed gun with stainless internals for about twice the price.
I have not had any corrosion issues with either, however I spray oil based products.

Nice review.

View Eddie Elizondo's profile

Eddie Elizondo

just tried my Wood River HVLP on some high gloss latex paint. The learning curve on this was short and sweet. It gave off a great finish on some qtr. round that I am going to install on some laminate that I put in. I had a problem at first trying to get the right flow going on the paint.. It started to sputter so I adjusted the material flow and the air pressure and it came out great. I used the 2.0 needle and nozzle and thinned it out with water. I was amazed how far the paint in the 600mm container went. I was able to do eight sticks of qtr round that were 12 feet long and still had over half of the paint left over in the cup. I am going to order another one for stains.

-- Eddie -