Great 14 inch Saw for the price

Review by Joe Watson posted 489 days ago 2455 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great 14 inch Saw for the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ive only Had the saw since the end of February but what use I have gotten out of it was wonderful. This saw came with roller bearing guides and a 1hp motor both features I was looking at. Only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was I felt like some of the guards from the blade near where the lower guides are needs a redesign because they tend to bend and get in the way after I change the blade. Also not sure what the easiest way is to change the blade because the fence guides get in the way of changing the blade making it difficult to get out. As often as I plan on changing the blade though Its not that big of a deal. I might wind up taking that lower guard off below the bearing guides and fitting something that doesn’t get in the way or bend so easily.

View Richard's profile

Richard

Joe – I just bought the same model last month as well. I found that you need to tilt the table to remove the blade and even then it’s a bit of work.

I haven’t had time to use it much between work and a nasty head cold, so I haven’t given much thought to a review yet.

So far I have been satisfied that it is a good quality machine and it will be a long time before I outgrow it.

-- "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

I have the same BS. While it takes some wrangling to get the blade off I really have not found it all that bad or worse than other BS Ive used.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

Joe Watson

Richard The quality is pretty good I think too. I have considered even getting the Riser Block for larger resaw but for right now its serving my purpose just fine.

DYankee
I hadnt used but one BS before so I wasnt aware of what a pain it is to change a blade on one so might just be my inexperience in bandsaws showing. One thing I noticed too is what a pain it is unfolding bs blades yikes use gloves lol :D

View poospleasures's profile

poospleasures

I,ve had this same saw about a year. I like it very much. Go ahead and get the extension block before you buy a bunch of short blades which you will not have a use for any more. I have never used the full 12” resaw height but do use it more than the standard 6” quite a lot. The best blade I can find for resaw is the “Wood Slicer” from Highland Woodworking. With my 1/2” Wood Slicer you can resaw very thin tall slices consistantly. With the Carter thin blade guide you can use a 1/8” blade and make some very small curves. When you get used to changing the blades you will be able to do it in short order.
Vernon

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning. Vernon

Joe Watson

i bought two blades right off the bat a woodslicer 1/2 inch and woodturners 3/8 inch both from highland. i cut up some turning blanks pretty easily with that woodturners blade. I will hold off on buying anymore blades till I get a riser probably.

View RodNGun's profile

RodNGun

I’ve got one of these too, its a good saw. I subsequently bought a bigger saw (Laguna 18) but never even considered selling the Shop Fox. I leave a thin blade on the Shop Fox for cutting curves and resaw with the big boy. Changing blades on the SF is definitely a PITA but over all it’s a good machine. Great value for the money.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Nice review and great band saw. That one needs good saw blades. Joe, it’s easy to fold and unfold blades.

View RickMcQ2's profile

RickMcQ2

I just bought this as my first bandsaw. My local hardwood dealer said it was a great deal for the price and I agree. I haven’t noticed any or at least minimal blade drift. From what I have heard it is the same as the grizzly products. The supplied blade has even been a pleasant surprise. This was my first time setting up a band saw and with the supplied directions it took me maybe two hours tops to set it up and tune. I would definitely recommend this saw.