JET 708100 - Excellent value

Review by TheDane posted 2264 days ago 6854 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JET 708100 - Excellent value No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased my Jet 708100 from a local machine shop, and consider it an excellent value.

Assembly was easy (once I figured out some missing info in the instructions) and the trunion, fence, and miter gauge all checked out true with no alignment or adjustment required. I installed my saw on one of Jet’s adjustable rolling bases and have found it to be quite stable.

Unlike other contractor saws, the 1.5HP motor is inside the saw’s cabinet, which makes it an excellent candidate for a small shop (the absence of a rear-mounted motor/pulley allows it store flush against the wall of my shop).

The only negative I have found is the table insert. It does not conform to any standard I can find. The (optional) dado insert has a slot wide enough to drive a truck through, so the only way I found to deal with small pieces is to adapt a shop-made sled to act as a zero-clearance insert.

A Jet dealer gave me a part number (709382) for a zero clearance insert, but couldn’t locate one anywhere, and it doesn’t show up in their online parts. I suspect he had it confused for the ZCI Jet makes for their Xactasaw.

For those who need a zero-clearance insert for the Jet 708100, making one is a viable alternative but takes a little patience.

1) I bought a 1/4” phenolic sheet (from McFeely’s), and used a pattern-cutting router bit to make a blank that fit the saw’s throat.

2) The resulting blank was a little proud of the saw table, so next, I cut a 1/16” x 1/2” rabbit around the underside of the blank.

3) I drilled 4 holes for leveling screws, and threaded them to #10-24, and used #10-24 3/16” set screws.

4) I used a 2” long piece of spring steel to fashion a front hold-down screw and attached it to the blank with a #10 1/2” flathead machine screw, countersunk.

5) I drilled a 1/2” finger hole toward the rear of the blank, and a 5mm countersunk hole to accommodate the flat head screw that secures the insert at the front.

6) I installed one of the cutters from a 6” dado blade set, installed the blank insert, clamped a scrap piece of 2×4 over the throat plate, powered up the saw, and raised the blade through the insert.

7) Lastly, I replaced the dado blade with the 10” blade I run in my saw, clamped a 2×4 scrap over the throat plate, and raised the blade to complete the cut through the insert.

The first one took a couple of hours to make, with most of the time spent trying to find a suitable piece of spring steel for the front hold-down clip. Now that I have the necessary parts (set screws, spring steel, etc.) it takes about a half hour to knock one out, and I have made ZCI’s for each of my most common dado setups as well as my thin kerf finish blade.

TheDane

Thanks for the review. I have been looking to upgrade my Craftsman- when my wife gives me my allowance of course. I may have to look at the Jet series.

TheDane

I think it is worth looking at. I don’t know what they go for now (I bought my saw in November ‘06 when they first came out). I paid $399 plus sales tax … the local shop I bought from didn’t charge any shipping or handling.

View runngt's profile

runngt

Nice review! I find just about all Jet products are A+

runngt

-- It seem's I just make scrap wood and saw dust most of the time !

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

thanks for the review. i like Jet products too and i might be getting a contractors saw too (used). thanks again for the review.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Congats I think its a nice saw, I hope to upgrade my Delta Benchtop table saw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2039 days

#6 posted 2039 days ago

This is a good table saw. Great value and performance. You can get a SCI at ptreeusa.com The one you want is General Model 220
14 15/16” x 3 11/16”
Zero Clearance Insert
You may have to make a couple of small cuts but it works perfectly.
Congrats, really good choice

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

#7 posted 2039 days ago

I was poking around the web the other day and was surprised at the current price of this saw.

I gave $399 + tax (no shipping) for it a local Jet dealer two years ago.

The same saw is on sale on a bunch of websites today at $674.99.

The good deal I got is looking even better!