Harbor Freight oscillating multifunction power tool $15.99

Review by eddie posted 03-27-2013 07:11 PM 5587 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight oscillating multifunction power tool $15.99 Harbor Freight oscillating multifunction power tool $15.99 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

i got a email ad from HF a few weeks ago and they had this oscillating tool for 14 .99 and had a good one before but had dropped and broken it ,so took a chance on this and it worked as good as my other one and it was a couple 100 its not a variable speed one but then i never used that on my other one .i use it mostly for cutting pegs and some other cutting its not a go to tool but is use some what .it seems to be doing good so far , it even came with a extra set of brushes and a allen wrench ,and i picked up some blade off the net for a few bucks ,it worth 15.99 in my book anyways so if you need one HF has them on sale this month if you can find a sales flyer r a coupon

#1 posted 03-27-2013 07:37 PM

I have one for many years, my wife bought it for my birthday.
I have abused it in may ways and it still run great.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#2 posted 03-27-2013 07:39 PM

I’ve also had this one for a few years. It works better than the Dremel I had before.

How come you only gave it 3 stars if you like it?

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#3 posted 03-27-2013 07:54 PM

thank you bert i feel a lot better with it now

Dallas i changed it to 4 thanks for pointing that out ,the only reason its not a five is it dont have a veriable speed but not sure if that fair sense i dont use it when i did have it

View Scott C.'s profile

Scott C.

#4 posted 03-27-2013 08:06 PM

I especially like this for cutting holes in drywall, although replacement blades are a little pricey for HF.

-- measure twice, cut once, swear and start over.

#5 posted 03-27-2013 08:19 PM

Scott i picked some up on ebay a pack of 10 for 20 $ it been a while back

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#6 posted 03-27-2013 08:29 PM

The blades from most others will fit the HF. I think the only ones that don’t are the Bosch and the Dremel.

HF does make a variable speed model and I used a friends. His was a Fein and I couldn’t figure a need to slow it down anywhere, so it was always on MAX.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Dave's profile

Dave

#7 posted 03-27-2013 10:00 PM

Eddie I have been looking at this for a while and was not sure to take the gamble or not. I might just have to try one.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#8 posted 03-27-2013 10:02 PM

Bosch blades do fit the HF. At least on mine. Grizzly now has blades at about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of everybody else’s (including HF’s). Haven’t tried them out yet to see if they fit.

If have abused my HF multitool severely, figuring at the price, it didn’t matter too much if it bit the dust. But it has put up with everything I’ve thrown at it. I had a Dremel for a while, but the HF is much better—less vibration, doesn’t overheat, more robust.

In many ways I think such tools are better for remodeling tasks than a reciprocating saw, which is really only good for demolition. Their ability to plunge cut is unique. I too have seen no need for variable speed.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

#9 posted 03-27-2013 10:57 PM

Bosch blades do fit the HF.

Well, that seals the deal for me. I happen to have found a box of Bosch blades in the brush along my path to the corner store a while back, I suspect long left behind by a utility truck. I’ll check this HF one out.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#10 posted 03-28-2013 12:03 AM

Had mine for a couple of years. I don’t use it often but when you need it it’s worth its weight gold. Thanks for the review.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

#11 posted 03-28-2013 12:29 AM

Dave at 15 bucks i took a chance with it it seem to as good as the other one i had and like cutworm says itworth it when you need those plung cuts

thanks runswithscissors

Dakkar be sure to find a coupon its 73 percent off with it

cutworm hit the nail on the head , cutworm thats a strange name

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#12 posted 03-28-2013 12:59 AM

Well worth the $15.00. I bought one a few months ago when I was installing a laminate floor in my family room. Used the tool to cut the bottom of the door frames and casings to slip the floooring under. What a time saver. I haven’t used it since and may never again, but it’s there if I need it and it was cheap enough that I wouldn’t be afraid to loan it out.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View JL7's profile

JL7

#13 posted 03-28-2013 01:52 AM

Hey Eddie – I spent the $15.00 and it’s earned it’s keep. Don’t use it often, but it comes in handy…..

-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

1996 posts in 967 days

#14 posted 03-28-2013 02:04 AM

Thanks Eddie…I remember seeing this tool on sale in an email …I’ll have to look through my email and make the $15.99 plunge

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

#15 posted 03-28-2013 02:57 AM

It’s actually $19.99 on their website right now. I guess the coupon brings it $4 lower, though. I’ll check around.