More suck,less dust

Review by 1953stancraft posted 03-27-2013 07:57 AM 4258 views 3 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
More suck,less dust More suck,less dust More suck,less dust Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just revamped my dust collection system after 3 years in the shop, and installed the new Super Dust Deputy Plastic Model from Onieda. I chose the plastic model based on the design. It appeared to me(very scientific) to have a better cyclonic design than the metal model. Price was not a factor. I removed as much plastic flex pipe as possible, utilized rigid swirl HVAC pipe and std 6”heat duct fittings with a blast gate at each machine. The DC-1100 was in the center of my main tool cluster, but always seemed to be in the way. So I elevated it on the wall and re-oriented the blower to accept the cyclone efficiently. I removed the std 2micron filter from my DC-1100 and gave it a through cleaning. Taped all joints and sealed all connections. All I can say now is WOW!!! What a difference. I have run enough material through the table saw, jointer, and planer to fill the fiber barrel about 1/2 full (got the barrel at our local Habitat for Humanity store for a $1). There is maybe a table spoon of very fine dust in the plastic collector bag. I put a piece of clear plastic on the barrel as a sight glass at about the 3/4 full mark. When I reach that point, I will remove and inspect the filter again. The enhanced performance of the DC-1100 is due to the Super Dust Deputy! I would encourage anyone considering this product to do it! The $350 I spent on it, the pipe and fittings was well worth the time, money and effort!

-- WSC

View 1953stancraft's profile

1953stancraft

View RockyTopScott's profile

RockyTopScott

#1 posted 03-29-2013 07:00 PM

On my lists of to-dos.

-- “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#2 posted 04-02-2013 12:31 AM

I was wondering how the new model works. I have the metal SDD on a Delta 50-760 and have similar results.

Would love to see a side by side comparison one day. Looks like they incorporated some of the Pentz design features with the square intake.

The cost of one of these is low enough for any woodworker. They are not as “effective” as the big Clear Vue 5 hp ones…BUT… a good cyclone hooked up to a decent 1.5 – 2 hp DC and a 1 micron cartage filter sure beats anything else out there for around $750.

I have been using mine close to one year now, have run hundreds of BF through the saws, drum sander, jointer and other tools, dumped the 30 gal can many times and have never changed the clear bag. There is only a small handful of fine dust at the bottom.

One of the best investments I have made for the shop, the house the and most of all my lungs.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#3 posted 04-02-2013 12:34 AM

Oh.. you may want to use some metal duct tape on those joints once you have them where you want them. The standard grey duct tape will begin to come off. I used the metal tape on my 4” PVC joints and it hasn’t budged or leaked in 4 years.