Deep Hollow Turning

Review by doubleDD posted 03-27-2013 01:41 AM 2064 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deep Hollow Turning Deep Hollow Turning Deep Hollow Turning Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so I hope you enjoy. Been looking at this system for a few months and put it on my wish list. Anyway next day started setting it up. Instructions were simple, only you need to purchase a post separate that fits your banjo. Off to WC bought a 5/8’’ post [20 bucks] and back to the shop. This system comes with a tool rest, a super heavy duty turning tool, with a 21’’ blade and 17’’ handle and a 1/4’’ half round cutting bit. Other cutting tips are available. It has 3 nice rollers on it, 2 on the bottom and one on top. You set up the tool rest and hollow roller system (which goes in your original tool rest with the fitted post)at center height pretty much as a ewt set up and your done. a little tweeking here and there and your done. The tool glides through the rollers as smooth as butter. My first attempt was a 10’’ round by 11’’ long log. Not sure of what type of wood it is. {picture above} After shaping the outside, I set the Carter hollow roller up and started to hollow it out. It was amazingly easy. I could rough hollow this thing 8’‘deep in about 20 minutes. Well maybe a little longer. Shavings everywhere. Since that first experience with the Carter hollow roller I’ve been turning like crazy. Wish I could find a match for the egg vase so I can make a top. Now I never tried any of the other systems out there so I can’t compare to them. But this system seems to do it all. I would highly recommend it. I have gone on to hollow a cookie jar at 11’’ deep. Don’t know how deep one can actually go till you try. This was done on the Rikon mini 70-100

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

View shooterscott's profile

shooterscott

#1 posted 04-15-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks for the review, I’ve also been interested in getting one of these I’ll look at this one.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#2 posted 04-15-2013 11:17 PM

Shooter, if you think of any questions you like to know about the hollower,post them and I will try to answer them.

View Dustgineer's profile

Dustgineer

#3 posted 10-03-2014 11:51 PM

I’ve been thinking about this as well. I just bit the bullet and bought a Grizzly G0694 and I’m trying to decide if I should get this one or the Clark Deep Hollowing System. The one from Clark is $500 for my lathe, but it can also be rotated 90 degrees to do turning work as well as hollowing. I can save on shipping since he’s right up the road. Or do I wait since I just spent so much on a lathe? This decision is almost as tough as which lathe to get!

-- Jim, Denton, TX