Deep Hollow Turning

Review by doubleDD posted 512 days ago 1814 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deep Hollow Turning Deep Hollow Turning Deep Hollow Turning Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so I hope you enjoy. Been looking at this system for a few months and put it on my wish list. Anyway next day started setting it up. Instructions were simple, only you need to purchase a post separate that fits your banjo. Off to WC bought a 5/8’’ post [20 bucks] and back to the shop. This system comes with a tool rest, a super heavy duty turning tool, with a 21’’ blade and 17’’ handle and a 1/4’’ half round cutting bit. Other cutting tips are available. It has 3 nice rollers on it, 2 on the bottom and one on top. You set up the tool rest and hollow roller system (which goes in your original tool rest with the fitted post)at center height pretty much as a ewt set up and your done. a little tweeking here and there and your done. The tool glides through the rollers as smooth as butter. My first attempt was a 10’’ round by 11’’ long log. Not sure of what type of wood it is. {picture above} After shaping the outside, I set the Carter hollow roller up and started to hollow it out. It was amazingly easy. I could rough hollow this thing 8’‘deep in about 20 minutes. Well maybe a little longer. Shavings everywhere. Since that first experience with the Carter hollow roller I’ve been turning like crazy. Wish I could find a match for the egg vase so I can make a top. Now I never tried any of the other systems out there so I can’t compare to them. But this system seems to do it all. I would highly recommend it. I have gone on to hollow a cookie jar at 11’’ deep. Don’t know how deep one can actually go till you try. This was done on the Rikon mini 70-100

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

View shooterscott's profile

shooterscott

Thanks for the review, I’ve also been interested in getting one of these I’ll look at this one.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

Shooter, if you think of any questions you like to know about the hollower,post them and I will try to answer them.