Simple but Nice; Though a little over-priced

Review by scarpenter002 posted 03-25-2013 04:33 PM 2115 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simple but Nice; Though a little over-priced No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ordered these clamps from Woodcraft to go with my DeWalt TrackSaw for $44.99. Purchased these at a 10% discount in December. Watch for their “10% off all DeWalt” sales to order items like this, as they do not normally go on sale. It was shipped direct from the manufacturer. I have used these with both the TrackSaw and Router adapter.

Features:
These slide into the bottom of the track and quickly can be engaged or released with one hand. (very similar mechanism to the Quick-Grip clamps from Irwin) They have a 6.25” capacity.

Cons:
One of the clamps slips some when torquing it down, though, it is not a big deal, as this is not being utilized heavy clamping. The cost is little steep, considering that four similar sized clamps from Irwin can be obtained for $20. If I were a welder, I could convert the Irwin clamps to these for a much lower cost.

The two items above prevent me from giving these 5 stars.

-- Scott in Texas

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#1 posted 03-25-2013 06:29 PM

At first glance I thought these WERE the Irwin clamps. And then I saw you put the price and I was wondering how hard would it be to cut and weld a piece of flat-stock to the bar on an Irwin clamp?

Thanks for the heads-up. If I ever make something with the T-tracks, I’ll remember this and try it

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#2 posted 03-25-2013 08:18 PM

Yes Joe, I HAVE to take up welding. These would be SO easy to make from existing clamps, if only…. There are many other projects that welding would so better address for me, but I am not so sure that my better half would look kindly on me picking up ANOTHER hobby/money pit.

-- Scott in Texas

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#3 posted 03-26-2013 04:35 AM

Thanks for the post, I work with welders so now I can see how this could be modified. When I get it done I will post.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

#4 posted 03-26-2013 08:37 AM

Interesting, Now you got me thinking. Might have to weld some up this weekend. Thx for sharing.

View jcwalleye's profile

jcwalleye

#5 posted 04-01-2013 03:29 AM

I did just that. Took a couple 6” f style clamps from Harbor freight, popped out the rivits holding the one jaw in place. Then welded a small bar onto the end of the clamping rod. It took some grinding to get the bars to slide in the channel, but saved many $$ from what Festool wanted.

Like you say, they sure are handy. I’m pretty good at bumping the track right about the time I start cutting.

-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--

View HarveyM's profile

HarveyM

#6 posted 04-13-2013 01:03 AM

I bought a set for my Festool track saw- compared to the Festools at $45 each I thought they’re a good deal ;)