Harbor freight clamps

Review by Mark posted 485 days ago 2610 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor freight clamps Harbor freight clamps No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was down in Bellingham on Fri. ( after an hr wait at the boarder) and thought I’d stop and check out Harbor Freight, as I’ve heard so much about it. There was a post by one of the LJ’s that said their clamps were pretty fair. I picked up 3 of the 12” bar clamps and 2 -3/4” pipe clamps. I haven’t tried the pipe clamps as yet but the bar clamps work just fine. At $4.00 ea ya can’t go wrong. I would recommend this product.

I also stopped at the Grizzly show room. What a candy store! Wow!

-- Mark

View Mark's profile

Mark

I have been dyng to get up to the Grizzly show room. Good luck with the new clamps. Be sure to put tape on the pipes when clamping projects so it does not stain the wood.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

I may have to pick up some of those. I’ve got some cheapies I picked up at Big Lots years ago for $2.00 apiece and they’re OK. I’d kind of like to find some with mounting holes, though, so I can use them for a mini dual vise setup.

View cpd011's profile

cpd011

I love my HF bar clamps. You can usually find them on sale for $2.99 a piece. I have 10 of the 12” and 8 of the 24”. They work very well. I also have 2 of th 3/4 pipe clamps “with the wide feet”. I used them for my benchtop glue up and they worked very well.

View rebel13's profile

rebel13

I Agree with the above, I have a bunch of HF clamps and there Bar clamps as well and they are great for the price..

-- Rick

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

thanks for the review.
i bought 4 of the 6” clamps last weekend and have done 3 glue ups with them since and they are fine.so the next trip to hf i will buy some more 6”and 12”.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View Deycart's profile

Deycart

I don’t have the other clamps, but the aluminum parallel clamps suck! They will warp if you apply just a little pressure… I should of known being made of aluminum…. I guess they will just get recycled.

View trucking36's profile

trucking36

Harbor freight clamps is all I use..haven’t found a glue up that requires high dollar clamps yet considering they all do the same thing squeeze the wood together.so why spend twenty for one when you can get five….

View Airspeed's profile

Airspeed

I just bought 20 of them for a project, I’ve had about ten of the HF clamps for years, so far only two have stripped. They chrome plate the screw and when the chrome starts flaking it chews up the threads in the clamp head. I use a little bearing grease on the threads right when I get them now, makes a big difference. One nice thing about the HF clamps is they have a lifetime gaurantee on them so when they do fail you can trade them for new ones.

-- http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aaronhero/

View Soundx's profile

Soundx

I use several HF clamps and 90% of them have worked just fine. For the price, I can replace all of them cheaper than our local Big Retail store.

-- Terry,Tennessee

View PSUmike's profile

PSUmike

I’m about an hour from the Grizzly showroom in PA, I could spend all day there.

View Ben's profile

Ben

Thanks for the post. I have about 40 of the HF bar F clamps in various sizes. They work great, and get the job done well. The pipe clamps however, have always given me fits. The screws don’t work very well, and sometimes the clutches don’t grip the bar very well. Plus the face is pretty rough and mars the work. Again,thanks for the review

-- Do something nice for somebody

View GT350's profile

GT350

I bought several bar clamps from Harbor Freight for a recent project. They were cheap, less than $5.00 each and worked well to supplement my real bar clamps. A few things I noticed were they were covered with oil that I had to take off which I could overlook but most of the bars were either bent or warped. The handles are smaller than my Bessey clamps and some of the screws weren’t square with the bar. Overall, I would say they are worth what you pay for them but I am still buying more quality clamps one at a time.
Mike

111999 posts in 2173 days

I have about 80 3/4” HF pipe clamps there’s a small percentage that the threads don’t work very well and most of them need their threads lubed with a little Vaseline then they work fine .Most of mine I bought on sale back when the were $5 or less per clamp.

View doubleDD's profile (online now)

doubleDD

I also use HF F style clamps and bar clamps for most of my glue ups. There great and do the job and cheep enough to replace if damaged.

-- --Dave, Downers Grove, Il. When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

I have 10 or so HF pipe clamps. The only problem I have ever had is keeping the handles on them. I tried a punch to upset some metal inside the handle (peened the end of the threaded rod). Worked for all but one and I just can’t get it to stay on. These are about 15 years old. I think the clearance around the pipe is greater than some other brands so the jaws are not always parallel. I say you can’t go wrong for $5 each.