Einhell RT-XM-305UMiter saw review/Tune up

Review by robscastle posted 03-22-2013 12:03 AM 6972 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Einhell RT-XM-305UMiter saw review/Tune up Einhell RT-XM-305UMiter saw review/Tune up No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Background
I bought this saw specifically for a workshop bench task I had to do, and the small saw I had was not accurate or large enough to cut 300mm wide material.
So as a result if you know of any LJs needing a small drop saw its available see Photo no 2
I have never seen the brand before and was a little hesitant to purchase it first up so some research was conducted to evaluate it and some others I was familar with.

The decision to buy it was based on its price and the ability to cut 300mm wide material.
It was not the cheapest saw available however its features were not repeatable with other brands.

Cost
$400.00

EINHELL(who)
Einhell is a Germany based company with an agent in Melbourne Australia.
The saw is made packed and shipped from within the PRC. Nothing new there!

It is reported to be able to cut light gauge metal and plastics along with wood using one blade

How does it do this?
Well looking at the blade teeth the rake has something to do with it along with the reduction in RPM
Does it work?
Plastics yes
Wood yes tends to splinter the wood more due to the low speed
Metal yes.

Accuracy
The accuracy of the saw is something that needs to be checked very critically upon assembly and prior to setting to work.
The most obvious error I found was when I applied a straight edge actoss the saw and onto the end supports the allignment was way out.
By adjusting a couple of hex head screws this was rectified.

Precision and repeatability
This subject came to light after I posted my “Test Cubes”
A couple of eagle eyed LJs picked up on errors that were visible in my post.
I guess I should have seen them first however a second pair of eyes certainly convienced me.
The saw was not cutting exactly at 90 deg to the fence.

See the pencil line and the cut line

After it was brought to my attention I rechecked the material and sure enought ther was an error

So I set about methodically correcting the error
First up I added some wooden sleds for the the saw to sit on, I cannot mount it permanently anywhere as my workshop is outside and everything gets packed up and put in the garage. This in not ideal for any of my tools as the more you move precision equipment the more chance you introduce errors.

Vertical 90 and 45 degrees adjustment is done by stop screws at the back in conjunction with the locking screw.
Simply unlock the mech and move to 90 Deg or 45 deg.
Using a precision square check the angle of the blade conforms to the square.
The top screw is for the 45 deg adjustment and is spring loaded, the bottom screw is for the 90 deg adjustment and has a lock nut behind it.

Once everything is calibrated do some test cuts, using the same square draw a line in the timber and do a light cut to check for alignment.

If this OK do a complete 90 deg cut and check it again

Again if everything now OK do a complete 45 deg cut

Gauge it up and check for accuracy.
Using the off cut now assemble the two pieces and check for 90 deg as well

If all is good your good to go.

Good points of the saw
ability to cut 305mm wide, and multi materials, I am always cutting Perspex and it saves having to roll out the table saw.

Not so good points
1. The dust box attached at the back does not like being dropped on the concrete, I unfortunately did this and smashed the plasctic lock tab off along with some other parts of the dust box.

2. There is a gap between the rotating table and the fence, on both sides of the blade, this would not normally be a issue except when cutting four miters on material. The taper can enter the gap and ruin the setup accuracy.

I over came this by making two perspex section for the fence, attached by spring clamps when needed

3. The plastic rollers and “wing”supports are only just servicable, in both the short length and their accuracy.

Conclusion:
Value for money: On par with other saws, the real test will be how it performs over time and how often it needs adjusting.
Dust box “throw it away and use your dust extraction system”
Fit for Purpose: Yes

For all the LJ that commented on my “Test Cubes” thank you all as a result I have now a saw which will perform up to the LJs standard and hopefully provided some input to the LJs Site for a change.

regards

Robert Brennan

Jun 2013 A minor Mod is required.
The clamping device Part No 8 gets in the way when the saw is set for a 45Deg Cut
Wondering how the manufacturer could allow this to happen, I checked the manual.
The recommended set up for the post is to swap it to the right hand side.

So this would be effective if the material being cut extended across as was able to be clamped there, however this was not the case with the job I was doing so I modified the machine to suit.

I discovered this at set up, when I set the saw at 45 deg and went to transport the blade the mech jammed on the post. See attached photo showing The post Item No 8

I cut about 15mm from the end of the post.

Ground the material neatly and reinserted the post

Checked the clearance and all was well

Update Apr 2014
Whilst in Sydney I was at Bunnings with my son and saw the exact same saw there for $150. mumble mumble !!

View BentheViking's profile

BentheViking

#1 posted 03-22-2013 12:40 AM

where would you buy such a saw? never seen or heard of it until now

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

#2 posted 03-22-2013 01:03 AM

Ben,

Google Einhell, the website will come up and the agents are shown. Failing that give them a call.
Viking eh … I have a 32 YO Volvo 244 its my Camping Car and the only car I know of that you can put a 12V fridge in the boot and still close it.

Robert

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

#3 posted 03-22-2013 11:40 PM

Einhell colour code their tools – blue for hobbyist/DIY, Red for trade. I have collected a couple of the blue tools for very occasional tasks that didn’t warrant spending four times their cost on a name brand tool, and have found them to be robust and reliable. I would prefer them to anything made by Ryobi. Your trade rated saw should give you years of service.
Glad you took the criticism of your test cube on the chin and not with seething resentment, good review.

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#4 posted 03-23-2013 01:41 AM

Is the price a secret ? Ha,ha.Sorry. Not picking on your review, but I find reviews pretty much
really lacking when cost/price vs performance isn’t included in the review.

To me its one of the most important considerations.I have noticed this omission of price quite a bit on
reviews lately.

Maybe I’m in the minority in this , but it makes it easier for the reader to form an opinion or offer some
meaningful feedback.

Other than that one gripe , thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with this saw . It is a nice
looking saw.

#5 posted 03-23-2013 02:13 AM

Hello Ron,

Regarding the secret price,
Opps, its there now, (Sorry about that chief!) anyway

It was $400, at retail.
On ebay is about $350 Ryobi retail was about $375 to $385 some other brands retail again were down as low as $275 to $300 but they did not have the 305mm cutting capacity but the Trade tools unit had an induction motor, almost went with it at $328.00.

View RobertT's profile

RobertT

#6 posted 03-23-2013 02:15 AM

Thanks for the review

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#7 posted 03-23-2013 02:34 AM

@robcastle

Awesome review. Thanks. :)

#8 posted 03-24-2013 02:05 AM

Sounds like a a well made tool. I looked at their website and the bandsaw resembles the RIKON brand greatly

-- Norman

View hans2wiz's profile

hans2wiz

#9 posted 04-17-2013 12:39 PM

I have older version of RT-SB 305 U bandsaw. It works, but has lot of issues. I already replaced parallel stop with home-made and now I can saw straight lines. Blade wheels are not well balanced, table wavers and blade guide with side support blocks/ball bearings needs to be replaced. Last thing what I made, was replacing stand with home-made stand with drawers and wheels. Now I can move that large machine in tiny room without problems.
Now I think this model is upgraded and has lot of improvements. At least so I see from pictures (new dust ports, heavier table, parallel stop etc).

I have/had also other Einhell tools. Like Circular Saw (replaced with Makita SP6000K), Belt Sander (without use), Router RT-RO 55 (in everyday use). All these are from red-line. Bench Sander BT-US 400 and Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner BT-VC 1250 SA are from blue-line. Last machine is connected with home-made cyclone and in lot of use. Still working and only thing what I miss is filter self-cleaning function. Fine dust from sanding goes to vacuum cleaner filter and it needs regular cleaning.

Conclusion is, that Einhell makes fine tools at affordable prices and they will last if not used under heavy load.

-- from East Europe, where still exist four Season and Grandfather skills are valuable.