Quality Planes really are different

Review by DouginVa posted 03-21-2013 10:20 PM 2951 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality Planes really are different Quality Planes really are different No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was parusing Craigslist today and a Lie Nielson Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane was posted…..and it said $100 or make an offer. The post couldn’t have been on there for more than a few minutes so I offered $80. The poster said Ok, but come down quickly if you can. I wrapped up what I was doing and called for the address and this woman obviously had no idea what she had or was selling. She said it was a gift to her husband who simply hasn’t even used it and doesn’t anticipate that he will.

Went down there to pick it up and it was still in the box had 3 small diamond sharpening and honing plates but then I realized the iron wasn’t with the box. She didn’t even know what that was so she said she’d look for it and call me if she found it. I wasn’t gone 10 minutes when she called me so I made a u-turn. She said she’d knock $10 off the price since I had to come back.

The plane is pictured above. I looked at Lie Nielson’s website and this plane is selling new for $165, but didn’t mention anything about the diamond plates. Who knows where they came from or how much they cost….and who cares? Their mine now.

So I took it home, honed the iron, the sole didn’t need any flattening but I hit it with some very fine sandpaper to remove a tiny spec of rust that had developed. Then I hit some wood with it. And…..OMG! I’ve never taken off such a thin even shaving of wood. This plane is noticeably heavier than my previous low angle block plane, the Stanley SW 60 1/2.

Comparing the two is like comparing Roseann Barr to a Victoria Secret super model. Not that the Stanley is bad, it’s just that they are miles apart.

I’ve always read here on LJ that you don’t really know how well a plane can work until you use a quality high end plane. I’m a believer now.

P.S.

Anybody want to purchase a well cared for Stanley low angle SW 60 1/2?

View dcountry's profile

dcountry

#1 posted 03-21-2013 11:35 PM

I am waiting for her husband to post on here wanting his plane back. You got a good deal there. Enjoy it they dont come often

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

1113 posts in 1901 days

#2 posted 03-21-2013 11:42 PM

Now, that is a tool gloat if I have ever seen one. Congrats on the awesome deal.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View jshattoc's profile

jshattoc

#3 posted 03-21-2013 11:49 PM

I got one of these new a few weeks ago, and sure didn’t get any diamond plates with it. That said, it’s a good deal even at full price. It trims end grain, hard and soft, like nobody’s business. That’s a good catch for you!

#4 posted 03-22-2013 12:57 AM

Yeah, I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he comes home. “You did what?! Do you realize how much that was worth?! You @!#$*&%. My mother was right. I never should have married you. I’m gonna sell your favorite lingerie now. You look horrible in it anyway.”

Then the fight started…....

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

#5 posted 03-22-2013 01:31 AM

That is a great tool. You can buy that plane all day long for $95 at Amazon.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View ArtSmith's profile

ArtSmith

#6 posted 03-22-2013 01:33 AM

Nice score. I’ll give you $50.00 for the Stanley :-)

View Marco Cecala's profile

Marco Cecala

#7 posted 03-22-2013 01:44 AM

Welcome to the fancy pants club. Seeing I like to work with wood and not metal, a Lie-Nielsen out of the box beats fettling a lesser quality plane any day.

View crashn's profile

crashn

#8 posted 03-22-2013 01:49 AM

I dont think the amazon one (i looked, was curious) is the adjustable mouth version. Here

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

#9 posted 03-22-2013 01:51 AM

Definately not the same plane.

View Luke's profile

Luke

538 posts in 1951 days

#10 posted 03-22-2013 01:58 AM

Welcome to the club! It’s an addiction that really pays! I buy nothing but LN now and couldn’t be happier. Congrats on your great deal.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#11 posted 03-22-2013 02:08 AM

Don’t know about where you live, but in my state that would be grounds for divorce! Great score.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#12 posted 03-22-2013 04:25 AM

Nothing beats quality, congrats on a fine score and diamond
plates to boot. Oh yeah!

View bladedust's profile

bladedust

#13 posted 03-22-2013 05:40 AM

Bogeyguy, what he got was the 60 1/2 and what you’re looking at on Amazon is the lower end version of the 102.

Douginva, that is a great score and a great plane. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I got lucky a while back and got the 60 1/2 and bronze 102 in the box for $180. Got them home, put a piece a wood in the vise, took the plane out of the box and started planing.

Hoooooooly C*&%P!!! I almost fell, I was so weak at the knees. I especially love the sound when they cut.

-- ok, is it cut once measure twice, cut twice measure once???? I know....I'll just keep cutting until it's long enough.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#14 posted 03-22-2013 02:00 PM

I have one and I agree. IT’S AMAZING.

View mikema's profile

mikema

#15 posted 03-22-2013 05:12 PM

I have the LN 60 1/2 RN Rabbeting Block Plane. I love it!! It gets used on just about every project. There is something about getting a high quality tool in hand.

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com