Flush Cutting Inside a Curved Seat Blank

Review by DustyMark posted 03-18-2013 03:54 AM 1754 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Flush Cutting Inside a Curved Seat Blank No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Check out this short video review of the Stanley Fat Max 20-331 Flush-Cut Saw.

I noticed this saw during a recent trip to Woodcraft and purchased it in hopes that it could cut 1” through leg tenons on the inside face of a curved seat blank. It worked quite well. The blade has enough flex to follow the gentle curve of the seat blank without leave any marks on surface of the blank. The teeth are quite sharp and cut through the ash leg tenons with minimal effort. I’m not sure of the quality of the steel, but it cut through 8 tenons with no problems tonight. The teeth remind me of a Japanese dovetail saw and could bend if not treated with some care, but the saw’s capabilities hinge on its thin profile. This saw will see a lot of use in my chair projects and easily earns 5 stars.

-- Mark, Minnesota

View DustyMark's profile

DustyMark

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#1 posted 03-18-2013 06:27 AM

decent little saw, i have had one for about a year. i did lap the back of the saw, just in case. Works great. Mine had cut ebony, maple, oak, all smooth. Starts easy cuts fast.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

#2 posted 03-18-2013 12:23 PM

I like it as well. A good amount of flex. I have had mine for two or three years, and although it hasn’t seen daily use or anything, it seems to be holding up okay.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View DustyMark's profile

DustyMark

#3 posted 03-18-2013 12:44 PM

Glad to hear that the saw stands the test of time…

-- Mark, Minnesota

View Jay Nolet's profile

Jay Nolet

#4 posted 03-19-2013 04:20 PM

I also would give this five stars. I use mine to trim down splines for boxes.

-- I think, therefore I think I am.

View pwalter's profile

pwalter

#5 posted 03-21-2013 12:41 AM

I looked on Home Depots website and seen they were listed. My local store even said that they had 3 in stock. When I went to grab one today I was told at two different Home Depots that they no longer carry them….

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#6 posted 03-21-2013 12:28 PM

I bought one, new old stock, at an old price as in cheaper, from my local hardware.
Fingered the blade after it was out of the package..yikes..would have torn up the surface of the wood if I’d used it as was, strong and heavy set to the teeth on BOTH sides..
Lapped the bottom severely, but it’s still not quite right.

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View abie's profile

abie

#7 posted 03-21-2013 02:29 PM

HF has this at a decent price.
bot two for the price of this one.work great
I find some things at HF are worth the price.

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#8 posted 03-24-2013 06:18 PM

I have had one of these for several years now, not used much but works great for trimming plugs and splines.

Good saw for the price, Jumbo had it right, lap the back just to be sure it won’t mar the surface. Mine is still very sharp.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle