My Griz G0715P

Review by JamieInIndy posted 522 days ago 6379 views 2 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Griz G0715P My Griz G0715P No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Delivery: Took 5 days. I paid Grizzly the extra $34 for lift gate service which gets your saw off the back of the truck and onto the ground. At this point they are done. Grizzly said that I would have to call the freight company (UPS) to get a quote to get it inside the garage. UPS quoted me $199 to wheel it in, but encouraged me to chat with the driver first. In other words she was trying to tell me that the driver would probably just do it for me, and he did. Customer service was very good on the ordering side, hit or miss if you have to talk to a tech.

Packaging: The saw was in a box on a pallet. After cutting the metal strapping the box basically disassembles. The base of the saw is bolted twice to the pallet. Two other boxes contained the rails/fence.

Mobile Base Assembly (2 hours): I bought the D2058A which is the beefier base than the D2057A. I decided on the ’58 because I had read several reviews on the ‘57 where there seemed to be several issues with the wheels, stripping of bolts, weak parts etc. So I decided to spend $20 more and get this one just to be sure. Apparently there were a lot of problems on earlier models, the new improved models end with an “A” which it is. It’s rated at 1300lbs. I can’t speak to the ’57 model but the ’58 is very sturdy. The wheels are cast iron. The only thing is that it sticks out in the back a bit(2 1/2”) because it’s made for a larger base and that’s as small as I could get it (the sides are perfect in width). If I wanted to I could cut the side tubes down to scale it down. In the end it doesn’t matter because the back of the table top is just about vertical with it thus not creating any protrusion beyond the table top. I’d say the saw base sits about 1” off the ground on the mobile base. Because I’m 6’ 2” and didn’t want to bend over as far, I cut down and made two layers of ¾” plywood to fit the inside of the mobile base before putting the saw on it. So now the table top is about 36 1/2” from the ground vs. the 34” height without the base. A couple of things on assembly that I think are important … I decided to configure the wheels differently (opposite) than the directions recommend. I wanted both swivel wheels in front so I could “back it” into the wall when I’m not using vs. “parallel” parking it if the swivel wheels were on the left side. I also didn’t want the casters sticking out in front or back, but wanted them on the sides, with the outriggers (stabilizers) in front where they are accessible. I was able to accomplish this despite the instructions recommendation. I’m very happy with how this worked out. The directions describe two different ways to put the saw on the base, one is building the base around the saw (which seemed to be reasonably easy), the other way is to plop it on top after you build it (this is what I did). While leaving the saw on the pallet I easily slid it off and onto the mobile base. I’m pretty scrawny and didn’t find it a problem doing this maneuver. Btw, this mobile base was only $89. I’ve seen others out there over twice this price.

Above picture before I slid it off the pallet and onto the mobile base.
Saw on the mobile base, I turned it around to show the extra room the D2058A has. Didn’t think to check the foot print of this base until it arrived. But I don’t see this extra space in the back as an issue because after the back rail is installed it hangs about directly over it. So I’ll be able to butt the table up to the wall when I’m not using it.

G0715P Assembly (4 hours): I took my time and didn’t mind it taking 4 hours, I actually enjoyed it. Could easily cut this in half if I did it again. Assembly was easy. I didn’t have any issue where the directions recommend you have some help on hand, i.e., putting on the wings/ rails. It’s all doable by yourself if you are able bodied (I’m only 155lbs). After assembling both wings they were dead on level. I had a straight edge that I ran from end to end and did not see a gap at all, everything was flush. Fence went on easy and only had to make a vertical adjustment. After attaching the measuring tape I had to trim some at the end as it ran off the rail. The blade needed to be adjusted to 45/90 degrees which was easy to do. I also got the 110v conversion kit. The conversion consisted of changing out the breaker in the switch, changing some jumpers on the motor and changing the plug. The directions show how all this is to be done and it doesn’t take an electrician to complete. After all this did my “smoke test” firing up the saw. It sounded like I just engaged the flux capacitor. Oh the power and the hum … love it! Table top felt smooth with just a light vibration and it passed the nickel test even while cutting.

Conclusion: This being my first table saw I can tell you I’m impressed, it’s a beauty. Too new to tell you about the in/outs yet until I start using it. So this is first my impression. Very sturdy saw. The fence is like a Beisemeyer, very stout. The 2” square tube rail it sits on is very adequate. The only thing not really great about this saw is the blade guard. It’s a little light weight and I already broke the little flimsy finger like guard that is in front of the blade. So I took the whole thing off and just using the riving knife. Also the push stick that comes with it is flimsy too. At the time of purchase they suggested the fox pro push stick for $10, which I did get and don’t regret it. Heard of issues with the miter being loose in the slot and I’m not experiencing any of that. Before purchasing I heard a lot of good about this saw before I bought it. Anything negative that I’ve read about the saw or mobile base are apparently history, both are awesome products. I got a great saw at a great price($795, plus $99 shipping), highly recommend. My first project is an outfeed table and filling in the right side with a router table. Then onto kitchen cabinets. Now if you would excuse me, I’m going to grab a beer and just stare at it.

-- Jamie - "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting, ".... holy crap....what a ride!"

View JamieInIndy's profile

JamieInIndy

View jeff's profile

jeff

642 posts in 2090 days

nice review on assembly,hope you like the way it performs…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

Good review Jamie, looks like you bought yourself a nice piece of machinery. Good luck with it and be safe.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4981 posts in 1934 days

It should be a great saw for the money and you should get many years of great use out of it… I have an older Grizzly Hybird saw the GO478…got it about 6 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. Very satisfied with it. Perfect for what I do with it.

Congrats on your new toy !
How much did you tip the UPS driver ?

View Mark828's profile

Mark828

Glad to hear it all went well, I think I’ve decided on this saw when I have the available space. Nice to hear good things about the saw, furthermore seals the deal. Enjoy!

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

Jamie, I have that same saw and have really enjoyed it. Put something better than the stock blade on it (I use Freud Diablos). Can’t comment on the guard problem as mine has never been on my saw. I’ll bet Grizz will send you a new one at no charge if you want one.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View crashn's profile

crashn

Great saw, I love mine. I did notice that after about 10 hours of use, I had to tighten the drive belt, it had stretched a bit on initial use and i started to get blade bog down. Tightening the belt fixed that (along with an aftermarket blade) and now I have not had a single issue after that.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View JamieInIndy's profile

JamieInIndy

Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone. I’ve had a couple weekends with the saw and am thoroughly enjoying it. Hard to believe how many hours go by so fast wishing the day would never end. Just finished my out feed table and pretty happy with the results, but more happy with the saw. Never had or used a table saw before so I guess I might be easily impressed. Could have gone for the cheaper version but decided if I were to skimp I’ll do it else where, got to have a good saw! The only issue I’ve had with it was the belt not staying tight. Solved this today with a .55 cent star washer from Home Depot. The cap screw was as tight as I could get it but the motor bracket would slide when I raised and lowered the blade. Imagine the frustration of tightening the belt every time the blade is adjusted. Called Grizzly today the tech named “Hayes” suggested the star washer. Seems to have solved it. Btw, I’ve called the tech line four times with various questions and this was the second time I spoke with Hayes, he’s friendly and very knowledgeable about the product. Hope you get him if you ever need to call the tech line.

Glad to hear that folks out here are enjoying their Grizzly’s. I almost got a Steel City or Craftsmen version of SC, but the Grizzly just seemed to get better reviews AND ALOT CHEAPER. I also called Grizzly before I bought to ask about issues that I read and Hayes put my mind at ease. He didn’t try to “sell me”, he’s just a straight shooter. All the issues were addressed and when I got the saw everything work as he said it would. I also read great things about their customer service and that was important to me on something like this, so I needed that confidence. So far so good! Glad I came across Lumberjock too! What a great group of folks. Thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions! gfadvm I’ll be looking into those Diablos soon. Have a couple for the miter and do like them.

View elingeniero's profile

elingeniero

When I ordered my Grizzly bandsaw, I had a couple of burly friends on hand to unload (didn’t spring for the liftgate option). Turns out the UPS driver had a liftgate, and he hauled the pallet all the way into the garage. I tipped him $10.

View robdem's profile

robdem

Jamie have the same saw bought summer of 2011. I think the saw is great I’am just a hobbyist use the saw couple times a week have used saw to cut up 2 and 3 inch thick maple and walnut with a 24 tooth blade . The saw cuts everything I can throw at it. Dust collection is pretty good have to clean out bottom of saw every once in a while very easy to do .

View Carl_Spangler's profile

Carl_Spangler

Thanks for your comments.

Got a question: Does this Griz have a ‘soft start’ motor?

thanks JohnG

112010 posts in 2202 days

Enjoy

View crashn's profile

crashn

Carl,
No, full speed instantly.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

TS envy. I have had my eye on that one for a long time.

View HiMyNameIsRyon's profile

HiMyNameIsRyon

Thanks for the thorough review. I’ve been researching table saws for a couple of months to figure out what I want to buy for my first saw. I think this is the saw I’ve settled on, and it sounds like it will be a good purchase from the sound of the recent reviews.