Turn short thick logs into useful lumber at home

Review by Elizabeth posted 523 days ago 4352 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Turn short thick logs into useful lumber at home Turn short thick logs into useful lumber at home No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been eying this bandsaw log mill for a couple of years now, and decided to use some Christmas money to finally get one. I got to play with it over the last couple of evenings, working with a piece of maple that I got off of Craigslist last year for free. It was green when I got it but has been drying in my shop and is now at about 12% moisture.

Assembly of the mill is pretty straightforward. It’s HEAVY so make sure you have a large clear spot on your work surface. The most fiddly part of assembly was two strips of low-friction material that you stick on to the bottom of the board.

I have a Grizzly 14” bandsaw and the table is 14” square. That’s a little small for this mill – like I said, it’s heavy, and it’s difficult to control the weight at the end of the cut. So I’ll be making an outfeed table for it at some point soon. It can cut logs up to 21 inches in length.

Aside from some minor drift and tension problems, which are not the fault of the Accuright Log Mill, the milling of this piece of maple was very straightforward. Stick it on the log mill, tighten it down (involves adjusting hex screws for length and diameter), cut one side flat. Go slowly, and wear ear protection if nothing else, as it was LOUD. Loosen it off with a single hand knob, turn 90 degrees, tighten it down again with the knob, and cut a second flat side. Set the mill aside, set your fence to your desired thickness, and resaw the log using your two flat sides against fence and table. Easy!

Be sure to use substantial pushsticks to keep your fingers safe, and if your gut is telling you something is not right, listen to it. There’s no such thing as BandSawStop!

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

Looks like a nice looking sled Elizabeth, for support on both the in feed and the out feed you could setup a couple roller stands to help support the weight, sometimes if you put something to heavy it can throw your blade off from being plumb to the table.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

thanks for the review..I have seen this and gagged at the price. But if it does the job for you, then it’s worth the $$$

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

Elizabeth

Yeah, the price had been putting me off as well. I got about halfway through building my own jig but wasn’t satisfied with the security of holding the wood in place. So when the inlaws told me to buy something fun for Christmas….!

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

Elizabeth – if you’re a fan of Carter products you may wish to sign up for their email notifications on their web site.
They send out information including special promotions. I picked up some items last December when they have a code for a limited time, believe it was either 20 or 25% off when calling & using the code.
It’s on their home page – look for “get the latest news and specials”. Just put in your email.

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

Thanks, I’ll do that!

Wow, 21 inches is a good size board for most of my work, congrats and thanks for the review

-- Norman

View Murray62's profile

Murray62

I have cut some short boards on the bandsaw by splitting a short log with the woodspltter (they don’t always com out the right way) then I made a jig to run them through the thickness planer to better flatten them. Next to the jointer to flatten one side to go against the bandsaw fence.. Now that I have seen your new log mill I am certainly going to check that out and save all this work. Thanks for showing and the great review.

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1946 days

I have the same mill and it works like magic. The only thing I have to make sure I prepare is an outfeed sled. It will tip and fall off once it gets past the blade.

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

View Dunelm's profile

Dunelm

This is an interesting looking log sled. What’s the largest diameter log that it will hold securely?

-- Bruce -- Canada

Elizabeth

I’d have to measure to check but I would say offhand it can handle at least a 6 inch diameter log. In practice I think I would be unable to lift the green logs safely onto the bandsaw before they would be too big for the sled to handle. Hopefully once I build an outfeed table that limit will be lessened as well.

Next time I’m in the shop I will try to remember to take some measurements and report back.

View Dunelm's profile

Dunelm

Well, I ordered the sled from Elite Tools in Quebec. It arrived promptly and I milled my first log this morning. It works wonderfully and suits my needs perfectly.

Many thanks, Elizabeth, for your review.

-- Bruce -- Canada