The difference between great and GREAT

Review by Ben posted 03-14-2013 01:33 AM 3456 views 2 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The difference between great and GREAT The difference between great and GREAT The difference between great and GREAT Click the pictures to enlarge them

Both lie-Nielsen(picture 1&2) and Lee Valley(picture 3) sell auriou’s rasps. I bought one from each company just to see what the difference is between the handles those companies provide with the rasps. While both handles are comfortable, the maple handle from Lie-Nielsen is a joy to hold. I didn’t think there would be much of a difference, but the handles from Lee Valley don’t have quite the same level of fit and finish and they are a little more tiring to use. Lie-Nielsen’s handles have a much longer, for lack of a better word, neck. This really allows me to extend my fore finger and have what I consider better control of the tool. I can extend my finger on the lee valley handle, but it starts to ache after a few minutes. In the end, the files don’t cut any different, but it sure is nicer to use the tool from lie-Nielsen. Since they sell handles separately I’m going to purchase another and switch it with the one from lee valley. Both deserve five stars compared to the rest of the competition, but do yourself a favor and buy the tool from lie-Nielsen. You’ll be happy you spent the extra 5-10 dollars.

-- Do something nice for somebody

View Ben's profile

Ben

#1 posted 03-14-2013 02:10 AM

It’s all about the handle : ) Thanks

View doordude's profile

doordude

#2 posted 03-14-2013 04:31 AM

how does the rasp’s cut and smooth your work? is it worth the extra dollars over a regular file?

#3 posted 03-14-2013 12:55 PM

I recommend that you also check Liogier rasps, they are I believe better.

Watch the video:

(Yes, Noel Liogier is a friend but I do not get anything for promoting his products)

View jusfine's profile

jusfine

#4 posted 03-15-2013 07:59 PM

We were at a LN event last weekend in Calgary, and just around the corner was a LV store.

We stopped in just to see if the store was any different from the one in Edmonton, and I noticed they had the Auriou rasps at a lower price so I ordered a couple.

I haven’t gotten them yet, but never thought there would be a difference in the handles…

Thanks for posting this review, can’t wait to try them out!

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

#5 posted 03-16-2013 03:59 PM

I finaly broke down and ordered an Auriou rasp from LN. I have both the no. 49 and no. 50 Nicholson pattermaker files and the Auriou I bought is a 10inch no. 9 stitch left hand cabinet rasp and I love it. When I go to the toolbox I pick the Auriou. I keep these rasps in leather sheaths that I make. I looked at the site for the Liogier tools and they resemble the Auriou but I wonder how one buys them. I think it was worth the money. Thanks for the post and giving me a chance to comment. bob

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

#6 posted 03-16-2013 05:57 PM

You buy the Liogier on line. Noel has been in negation with a potential us distributor for a long time I do not what happen this that.
I personally believe that Liogier are far better than then new Auriou which are not as good as they used to be under the old ownership.

To order:

Shipping is flat fee.
If you have issues, PM me.

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#7 posted 03-16-2013 07:08 PM

Bert, can you ask Noel if the sapphire rasp can be sharpened? When my rasps are somewhat dull I put them in dilute hydrochloric acid for a few minutes and they come out sharp again. Can I do this with the sapphire or not? If not then I will try the regular ones.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

#8 posted 03-16-2013 08:30 PM

Jorge , you could ask him yourself, ( not that I do not want do it) .

Noel is a LJ member.

#9 posted 03-16-2013 08:34 PM

Wow, pretty cool looking rasps. I’m seriously thinking about getting a few.

Thanks for the link. Just need to get them shipped to South Africa.

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#10 posted 03-16-2013 11:27 PM

Thanks Bert

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

#11 posted 03-17-2013 01:31 AM

You are welcome.
In addition to Auriou and Liogier there is at least one more manufacturer of hand stitched rasps in France that I know off. I do not know the name of the company bout I bought about 4 years ago while I was in France some rasps for a company , when I asked if there made by either Auriou or Liogier I was told that they were not made by either one but another company

View Liogier's profile

Liogier

#12 posted 03-17-2013 11:01 AM

Hello Jorge,

Sapphire rasps are made to stay sharp long enough in order that you don’t feel the need to re-sharpen or change them. They are not made to be dipped in acid.
It would be more feasible with at Traditionnal rasp, but still I don’t recommend such a thing, it would be a bit a pity.
Were the rasps you felt the need to deep in acid were hand-stitched ones ?

Noel Liogier

-- Noël Liogier, http://www.liogier-france.com

#13 posted 03-17-2013 11:04 AM

Noel Liogier, do you ship to South Africa and if not what about the UK?

Thanks.

View Liogier's profile

Liogier

#14 posted 03-17-2013 12:25 PM

Sure, no problem. I ship all around the world. The shipping cost is a flat fee of 12€ (approx 144 south-african rands), regardless to the country and to the weight of the parcel.

-- Noël Liogier, http://www.liogier-france.com

#15 posted 03-17-2013 12:35 PM

Thanks man, I will be in touch.