The Wood Whisperer Split Roubo Guild Build

Review by lysdexic posted 407 days ago 5041 views 4 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Wood Whisperer Split Roubo Guild Build No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am surprised that there has not been a review of TWW guild posted before.

I am a novice wood worker and last spring I decided it was time to build my first workbench. I dont plan on building more than one of these, so I decided to build the best one that I could. After doing all the obligatory research by reading Schwarz’s book, Landis’ book and reading all I could here on LJ’s, I still didn’t feel I had the skills to pull this off. So, I joined the TWW guild specifically for the Roubo bench build.

Briefly, the membership cost a $100 and came with a cutlist, PDF plans, and a sketch-up model. You also have access to a project specific forum and you can even email Marc directly if you get stuck. All these are great but not as invalualble has the hours of video Marc shot for this build. Each one was detailed and easy to understand. In fact, with these I really never felt lost or had that many questions of what I needed to do.

I often would take my iPad in the shop, watch the videos and just “paint by numbers”.

I could go on about what a great value the “course” is but I will the results speak for themselves. I have never built anything like this before. Thank you Marc.

My split Roubo bench project and blog

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View Scomel Basses's profile

Scomel Basses

Great job on your bench!

View pwalter's profile

pwalter

I just signed up for a year subscription. He really is the man lol. Extremely informative

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

Wow. That is certainly a great job you did there. Must have gained a lot of knowledge as well as confidence from building this.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Any idea what all the materials cost to do this project ?

Great job, I wish my shop was big enough for this great build. I look fwd to joining the Guild one day when caught up with the honey do list. Marc is a great guy and always willing to help. Love his web site and videos. I do have to blame him for the cutting board addiction however! Its because of him and his video that got me started making boards and now ith over 300 leaving the shop it his fault LOL

Great bench it is a work of art!

View DouginVa's profile

DouginVa

You’re a novice? Wow, that’s work seasoned woodworkers would hope to accomplish.

-- Just a man with his chisel.........

View terryR's profile

terryR

+1 to Doug’s comment!

I think I’ve reached the point where detailed plans are what I need! I suck at designing anything…Gonna look up the WWG now…sounds quite nice!

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View Chris P's profile

Chris P

Wow that’s a good lookin’ bench! Good insightful review as well!

-- Chris, Long Island, http://northsummitblog.wordpress.com

View Pbmaster11's profile

Pbmaster11

I am a second year guild member… the guild is amazing!!!!!!!!!

View Tkf's profile

Tkf

What’s the finish on that?

Tkf,

The finish is a home made wipe on poly. If I were to do it again, and the top will need top be re-flattened, I will use a drying oil but not a film finish.

Scott

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

lysdexic....novice woodworker eh… I think you graduated to craftsman with this build….awesome bench in every detail..

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

I like the bottle opener too. The bench is very nicely done. Is the chain really needed? I think I understand the purpose but I guess I have never really looked at the mechanism that closely.

OH – OK, now that I went and looked further in the review section I see that you reviewed the chop vise chain.

I still like the bottle opener and noted again that it is not placed on the business side of the vice. therefore, it must only be there for observers and not the woodworker, right? :-)

View jusfine's profile

jusfine

Nicely done! Thanks for the review – I have my BC hardware in my shop now (waited for the crisscross system), base is built and I will be finishing laminating the second section of the top this weekend, also hopefully cutting the dogs…

I am also a member of the guild and have enjoyed it for a few years now.

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View AnthonyReed's profile

AnthonyReed

Thank you for the review.

It is good to read that so many recognize your novice level workmanship. You sandbagging s.o.b…..

-- ~Tony

Ken,

Good call. It is a safety feature. This way I have to put down my sharp tools and walk all the way around the bench to open a beer. This way I keep my hop sippin’ out of the work place.

:^)