Tool Security

Review by 489tad posted 527 days ago 1815 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tool Security No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Early Monday morning I walked out the front door and saw my garage door had been open all night long. Lucky for me the neighborhood hooligans were busy somewhere else or I could have easily been cleaned out. Not anymore. I purchased and installed the Garage Butler. It automatically closes the door after a preset time. The hard wired system is easy to install. Mount the magnets on the door and track. Run the wires back to the garage door switch/button. Connect the Garage Butler to the switch and plug in for power. It has six preset closing times, 3mins to 60mins. It beeps to let you know when its closing and works with the safety features of the garage door. I purchased it from Amazon, just over forty dollars with shipping. The unit works as advertized. I gave it 4 stars due the thin aluminum brackets that hold the magnets. They will easily bend if bumped.

There are other similar products on the market. One attaches directly to the opener motor and wired to the connectors. Its powered by a 9 volt battery. Not sure of its price and its features.

With my tools, garden tools and a small collection of bicycles, forty dollars is a small price for peace of mind.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View 489tad's profile

489tad

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4984 posts in 1934 days

Quite a clever gadget and seems very useful. I would get one but I have no garage door.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

What happens if something is in the way? Such as your dog lying there?

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

Good idea, for the moment my way seems to work. The US Marine Corps flag in the front yard is your 1st warning. Your second is the sign that says I believe in gun control, I empty every magazine. I am considering another one that says You can run but you will just die tired…....... (Laughing)

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

good if one has an electric door..I just will have to remain vigilant & remember to lock mine :-) ..Michael, mine says: My dog has a gun, and refuses to take his meds!! :-)

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View dustyal's profile (online now)

dustyal

Thanks, I went away on a trip for a week and left the garage door open… duh… Neighbor noticed a day or so later and called police to check out the house, and close the door. The garage and house could have been cleaned out, but nothing was taken. It was very embarrassing.

This item seems to be a very good idea. I have not heard of it before.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View 489tad's profile

489tad

@Al, I have teenagers to deal with and getting to the frig takes top priority over closing doors and everything else for that matter.

@Runs, the door will return up if something is in the way like a useless guard dog that would sell us out for a cookie.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

That is a pretty worthwhile gadget. It’s not at all uncommon to walk out of the garage door and into the house thinking that you are going to be gone for just a few minutes and then get tied up and forget about the door being open.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

489tad, sit a sawhorse in the doorway with 2 legs in and 2 legs outside. Now close the door. If your opener is like 75% of those I test the pressure sensitive part of your safety system has never been set and the opener will close the door on the sawhorse then continue to folds it into little pieces. Make sure your door opener is properly adjusted. I also know a lady that suffocated her miniature schnauzer with her opener. Better safe than sorry. I personall closed my door on my pickup bumper and destroyed the top panel of the door. The beam worked perfectly…...below the pickup.

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

Nice product there Dan, and im glad to hear the neighborhood hooligans didnt get their mitts on your gear. Im giulty of leaving my garage door open from time to time. Seems like a worthwhile investment in my book especially if you have a garage shop. Youre mutt must know mine, she’d sell me out in a heartbeat for a slice of pepperoni.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View joeyinsouthaustin's profile

joeyinsouthaustin

I need one for some of my wife’s stories ;) god bless her, but some times I need a place to get away… hmmm where to go?

-- Who is John Galt?

View mbs's profile

mbs

i left my garage open last night by accident. Had a rocking chair that all but done sitting there with an array of Festool portable equipment. I consider myself lucky that nothing was taken.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View mdawson2's profile

mdawson2

I’ve left the garage door open a couple of times. Luckily nothing has come up missing. At one point I actually set up an alarm on my phone to go off every night at 7:30 to check the garage door! This little device looks like it might come in handy. thanks for the review!

View christinehaze's profile

christinehaze

Gadget is looking great. You should though install safe for important tools and also theft alarm monitoring system which will alert you when there is any burglary attempt. Visit the following website for more information: http://www.hotelsafes.ca/