Do not buy at this time, manufacturing error

Review by asloanie posted 500 days ago 3376 views 1 time favorited 43 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Do not buy at this time, manufacturing error No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently bought one of these, returned it, and now am about to return the replacement.

The unit comes with a mounting platform and casters. They must have recently changed caster manufacturers as the new ones do not line up with the pre-drilled holes in the metal platform. Both units I got had this exact problem.

If you want to use your own platform or drill new holes yourself, this still could be a usable system. Just an FYI.

I would recommend opening the small box the casters come in and trying them before you unpack anything else in the box. Kind of a pain to repack everything.

View asloanie's profile

asloanie

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

I think the mismatched holes are a small price to pay for such a well regarded machine. Mismatched holes is a classic Harbor freight mistake and for the price of that DC ($159) I would gladly drill my own holes. Defiantly not a reason to return a perfectly good machine!

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

6 months ago the first one I bought had problems. I did not bother to pack everything back up or even disassemble it. I just put everything in the van and returned it. They took it with no problems.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Christophret's profile

Christophret

why do you have tools?

-- I cut it twice and it's still too short!

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Just curious… could you not just take a drill bit and “waller out” the hole(s) so they line up?

”waller out” ... that’s a Southern expression for “make it align better” :-)

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View 6t5Goat's profile

6t5Goat

I had to “waller out” the holes on mine as well.. not that big a deal.. with HF.. you have to expect some of this..

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

Just bought one of these…I’m hoping to put it together this weekend and see how it goes.

-Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View asloanie's profile

asloanie

This may turn into a discussion more on Harbor Freight vs the actual dust collector.

What got me on these casters was that it is step #1 in the assembly process. If something this simple was off..what did that say about the rest of the machine. I sent the first one back to the store simply because I thought it was a one time exception and the box could have had completely wrong parts (other bolts, etc..)

When the second one came in the same condition, I decided to drive over to the local Atlanta store and talk to the guys. They opened up one of the DC’s there and found that it also had the same issue.. (if you live in ATL and want an open box buy on one of these..head to Dunwoody).

Net Net.. I decided to keep the dust collector and I will “waller” out the holes or just drill new ones. It isn’t a big deal to drill out a 1/8” piece of sheet metall…just the principal of buying something done right.

I will update this thread and re-review once I have it assembled and working (hopefully).

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

Well, There’s yer Problem…... you were following the directions!

Don’t you know that the first rule of the man club is to toss the directions for any tool into the wood stove to start a warm fire so you can be warm while you kick your feet up and drink ice cold beer to ponder the job at hand?

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View frankenstuff's profile

frankenstuff

You need to waller out the approach of assembly.

-- "the woods are lovely dark and deep"- Frost

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

I bought the same DC over 2 years ago. I also had to modify the caster holes. I also had “half-stamped” bolts and washers to go with it.

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View toddbeaulieu's profile

toddbeaulieu

Dallas, I have to respectfully disagree with your instructions philosophy.

I don’t believe you should destroy instructions. They are intended to cover your butt in case all other means of trial and error, guesswork and stubbornness fail to deliver.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

toddbeaulieu I tried that, but the teeth always came through the paper and bit me!

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View LoydMoore's profile

LoydMoore

I didn’t even try to mount the caster since the looked kinda crappy. I just sat the platform on a large HF moving platform and anchored it with four screws. !
1/4 the time and a lot less cussin that way.

-- Loyd, San Angelo, TX http:www.moorewoodenboxes.com

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2063 days

frankenstuff, lol :)

View Matt Przybylski's profile

Matt Przybylski

One of my upgrades to this DC on my list is to make my own base for it because as mentioned just above the casters are simply terrible and rolling this thing around on them is next to impossible.

-- Matt, Illinois, http://www.reintroducing.com