Trojan Sawhorses, Tough and sturdy

Review by PASs posted 03-12-2013 01:31 AM 3730 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Trojan Sawhorses, Tough and sturdy Trojan Sawhorses, Tough and sturdy Trojan Sawhorses, Tough and sturdy Click the pictures to enlarge them

I do some subcontract for the US Navy building shipping crates for Aircraft Carrier Flight-deck equipment.
Since I do the work on-site I needed some collapsible or folding sawhorses.
I bought a couple of the yellow painted steel sawhorses from Home depot, but they moved too much when working on heavier crates (over 500 pounds).
I ended up with some made by Toughbuilt which were better, but after a while they loosened up. And since they were made of steel I was always concerned about cutting or drilling into them.
I did some research, including here on LJ and discovered Trojan Tools.com. I was impressed by the design, and the reviews sounded good, but the price was a little much for me at the time.
A couple of weeks ago a got a bigger contract for 38 shipping skids.
The work required 4×6 lumber 16 feet long.
As I was working by myself moving the lumber onto the sawhorses was “less gentle” than with two people.
The Toughbuilt sawhorses started getting beat up and wobbly to the extent I was concerned they might collapse.
I clamped and braced them to finish the contract, then went home and ordered a couple sets of the Trojans.
They got here today and I did a little work on them here at the house.
They come un-assembled with simple yet clear instructions…got both sets together in about 15 minutes.
The legs do not assemble to each other, they clamp around 2x lumber you provide.
The nice thing is you can put about any size 2x in them you want.
I got a couple of 2×6s 12 feet long, but I could have easily gone 16 feet, length doesn’t matter as the feet can be clamped anywhere along the 2x.
In my case the 12 footers will allow me to work with 16 foot lumber with no problem.
It took a couple of tries to get the hang of working the clamping action, but even the couple of times I didn’t get the 2x fully seated in the saddle the teeth still bit into the wood well enough to give an incredibly sturdy feeling joint.
I notched the 2×6s to accept cross members from the old sawhorses to make an assembly ‘table 12 feet long and 5 feet wide. This is also long enough to work full sheets of plywood.
I didn’t want to play with any 4×6s on my day off, but I had some shipping crates in the driveway and demolished them on the table.
The crates were only 50 or 60 pounds each, but instead of trying to pry them apart I beat them apart with a sledge and wrecking bar.
The Trojans didn’t even budge.
After I beat the crates apart I beat the nails over and down, then cut everything into pieces small enough to fit in the chiminea to burn them. Since the Trojan with 2×6s has 3 1/2 inches of clearance from the top of the lumber to the top of the sawhorse there was no way I could cut into the metal using a 7 1/4 inch saw. I didn’t even try to move the pieces so I wouldn’t hit the supports I just threw them on the table and cut away.
I do look forward to building a bigger crate using the table…and tomorrow is the day, a crate 4×8 feet and 4 feet tall.

Will try to get some photos tomorrow and post an update, but already the Trojans have clearly outperformed any other portable sawhorse I’ve owned.

View hjt's profile

hjt

#1 posted 03-12-2013 03:25 AM

Interesting. They don’t look like they be sturdy, but your write up clearly staes the oposite. Look forward to your follow… after you’ve used it with your big project.

-- Harold

View djwong's profile

djwong

#2 posted 03-12-2013 08:52 AM

I have had a set of Trojan sawhorse legs for a couple of years now. I use them as the base for my “bench”. While my usage has been no where near as rough as yours, I agree that they are very sturdy and have not budged under any load I have been able to generate. If you ever take them apart and collapse them, just be careful about the scissoring action of the cross braces. A major pinch point.

-- David W. Cupertino, CA

View stefang's profile

stefang

13050 posts in 1990 days

#3 posted 03-12-2013 09:24 AM

Sometimes the design is more important than the materials used. These look good.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

#4 posted 03-12-2013 10:06 PM

Today was a lighter day than planned…The 4×4x8 foot crate became a 4×4x4 crate.

But I did set the sawhorses up…using the same 2×6 by 12 foot stringers as yesterday.
I threw some of the lumber for the crate on the table…no problems.

After cutting to size I had a few 2×4 and 4×4 pieces stacked on one corner…no wiggle, no sway…but not much weight.
The table is a little tall for actual assembly so the next set will be the TS-27s.
I put the 1/2 CDX ply on to cut for the sheathing…no wiggle.
I’m about 5’11” tall and I found pushing the circular saw all the way across the plywood to cut it was about 1 inch more than I could easily reach. But I don’t want to switch to 2×4 stringers due to the heavier lumber I use on some jobs. So the last inch became a tip-toe’d push.
I have a few crates in bid now. If I get them I’ll load the table up and see how it works.

View Roger's profile

#5 posted 03-12-2013 11:27 PM

There’s always been high hopes for a strong Trojan. :) I apologize, Pete. I’ve had a few Guinness’ in honor o St. Pats… lol

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View hjt's profile

hjt

#6 posted 03-13-2013 02:29 AM

Wow Pete – just bought one set and looking to buy another. That’s a great testiment. It’s always nice when one finds something that works.

And Roger, hat’s off to you… getting a head start on St Patty’s day!

-- Harold

#7 posted 03-13-2013 04:14 AM

James, not a problem at all…
I did research them.
The price point was a factor, and my tendency to cut across my sawhorses made the standoff of the Trojans more desirable.
But I also have to pack a ton of gear into a 3/4 ton truck, so the ability of the Trojans to fold down was another major selling point.

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2085 days

#8 posted 03-15-2013 12:06 PM

My wife picked me up a set of these for Xmas a couple of years ago. I love them. They come in two different heights.

-- dragondncr

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#9 posted 03-15-2013 12:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I loaned my sawhorse to someone and never got ‘em back.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#10 posted 03-17-2013 03:56 AM

Interesting review and product. And thanks for taking the time. But at that price , they better be great. No thanks.