Dremel parts service

Review by Sodabowski posted 401 days ago 1535 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dremel parts service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi guys.

So this is what just happened to me today. Upon firing my Dremel, without any advice, it blew out dust like crazy in a crunching noise, with the usual smell of opal being ground. Suffice to say I immediately shut it off. Best guess: a small chunk from the last time I used it probably got sucked into the tool and was released when I fired it today, causing severe damage.

Once unplugged, the first thing I noticed when extracting the carbons was that they were pretty damaged. Upon closer inspection, one of the brushes of the rotor had been torn out, and three of the others were partly warped, shorting several coils. I sure could fix it by replacing the dead brush with epoxy, the motor would have run, albeit with a coil always off so with an unstable rotation.

Because these collector tabs are hot-glued to the rotor with a metal tab protruding into the glue, they are really strong and can’t be pulled out by centrifugal forces. Glueing one back, with its attaching tab broken, could work but only for very low speeds, and the risk of it being ejected again and causng more damage to the tool is simply too high. My stator didn’t suffer any injury, as the other parts of the Dremel. I don’t want to buy a new one, because of the price: this unit is ten years old, and without that pesky piece of green Madagascar opal being sucked into it (that’s the last thing I used it to grind) it would have continued serving me well.

So I settled for plan B: I raided eBay for “dremel rotor”, “dremel parts”, without any success…

And suddenly it struck me: the guys at Dremel make fantastic, rugged products, that can last for a lifetime. I thought they might have a parts service.

So I went to their website, and BINGO, in a matter of seconds (scrolling down to the bottom of the page) I found the link to the replacement parts service.

Their parts selection system is really easy to use: you enter the part number or 10-digit identifier of the product,

and after selecting the right one in a list of corresponding devices,

an exploded view of the tool (not sure if that’s the proper naming, we say “vue éclatée” in French) lets you select the exact part(s) needed, and they can be purchased online individually.

It is good practice, when changing the rotor of a brushed motor, to also change the brushes – so I shelled out for both.

Postage and handling via TNT are a bit less than 8€, which is fine. All in all, it cost me 38€ to get the parts, probably not the best choice price-wise, as it’s nearly the cost of a new Dremel. But I like this Dremel 285 I have, its shape is okay for me, not too little, not too big, and, well, quite manly. I find the new ones too girly personally.

So, big props to Dremel for having a consistent line-up of tools, based upon the same, time-proven parts: who’d have thought that I could find the same rotor ten years after buying this tool? I wouldn’t at first.

Hence my 5 stars out of 5 for Dremel parts service :)

Next: wait for the rotor and carbons to be delivered (probably tomorrow, they use TNT), fix the Dremel and continue the project I was working on.

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

Great to hear and Thanks Thomas.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Grumpymike's profile (online now)

Grumpymike

I have had a simular experiance with Dramel.
I called the parts service and a lady knew exactly what part I needed and sent it right out … One dollar and six cents for the replacement part … I received it in two days with only $4.25 postage …
Great Company to deal with.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it.

View Dominik Matus's profile

Dominik Matus

Yes, Dremel is propably best brand.

-- Cabinetmaker, student of restoration

View mafe's profile

mafe

;-)

View EPJartisan's profile

EPJartisan

Dremel is from my home town Racine, Wisconsin. :)

-- the sacrifice of one's ego is the greatest gift to someone you respect

Hi Mads ;)

@Eric: no wonder why they’re so professional :)

View mafe's profile

mafe

Big smile.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

I was impressed when I learned that the CSR’s you talk to on the phone are, in fact, located in Racine, Wisconsin.

Excellent customer service!

View Schwieb's profile

Schwieb

1411 posts in 1959 days

I am not surprised. They have managed to dominate their niche in the tool market for good reason.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

1968 posts in 1331 days

Yep. Great tools and great service.