Remote Control

Review by OSU55 posted 03-11-2013 11:56 AM 2100 views 4 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Remote Control No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Need a remote power switch for your dust collector or other accessory? While all of my tools are mounted on mobile bases, I got tired of having to move things aound to get to the dust collector power switch. My DC is a cheapo from Harbor Freight, so it didn’t come with a remote. A quick perusal of the box stores online found this at Wally World. Rated at 13A it’s enough for my small DC and is rated for outdoor use, so water and humidity aren’t an issue. The receiver just plugs inline at the power source. The transmitter now hangs on my toolbox. It’s about the size of a vehicle remote. Just 2 buttons, on & off. I’ve only had it a week, so I don’t know about reliability, but it functions wonderfully. At ~$14 it’s a cheap, easy add on remote control.

2/11/14 – almost a year and still working fine.

View OSU55's profile

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View tsdahc's profile

tsdahc

#2 posted 03-11-2013 01:24 PM

I have a similar set up on my HF DC. I been using it for about 2 years and my reciever just died this weekend, good news though the set up I purchased had 3 recievers, so I have an extra. One of them also controls the extra overhead lighting. I think I paid a little more than $14 but it was for 3 and they work great. In the future I would definetly purchase again as it works fine for a DC remote.

#3 posted 03-11-2013 02:06 PM

I use one, so far it has been morking very well.

View Cliff De Witt 's profile

Cliff De Witt

#4 posted 03-11-2013 02:14 PM

I have been using one just like this for the last three years, not a single problem.

-- Trying to find an answer to my son’s question: “…and forming organic cellulose by spinning it on its axis is interesting, why?”

View Adam Baird's profile

Adam Baird

#5 posted 03-11-2013 02:43 PM

Anyone know of a good alternative for 220/30amps? I would love to have one for my dust collector, but its the grizz 2hp, and I’ve had trouble finding a remote without paying $75-100 or more which I just can’t justify.

-- Adam from Warsaw, Indiana

#6 posted 03-11-2013 02:57 PM

’”Anyone know of a good alternative for 220/30amps?”.
This is what I use mine for.
I use it for my Clear View 5HP Dc.
I use the remote to energize/dis-energize a relay for the cyclone.
I have only one 220Volts circuit.
I use one leg and the ground of the 220V circuit to get 110 Volts for the remote and the relay.

View RandyinFlorida's profile

RandyinFlorida

#7 posted 03-11-2013 04:36 PM

Watch Lowes around x-mas, You can pick that same system up for around $10.00 Be aware they come with different transmitter frequencies. I bought two the first time around thinking I’d be able to control two things with the same remote. Whoops.

-- Randy in Crestview Florida, Wood Rocks!

View Luke's profile

Luke

541 posts in 2040 days

#8 posted 03-12-2013 01:34 AM

Got it too. Been working great for two years now. And so cheap! If it breaks I’ll buy another.
Tx for the review.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View Howie's profile

Howie

#9 posted 03-12-2013 11:57 AM

Interesting so many are using this on their HF d/c’s. I bought one about a month ago and commented on here how well it worked then spent 2 weeks with one guy telling me why it wouldn’t work?????All I know is it does.
Good post OSU55.

-- Life is good.

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

#10 posted 03-12-2013 12:07 PM

$10 at Menards. Works well with shop vac.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View thenetdog's profile

thenetdog

#11 posted 03-21-2013 12:33 PM

I do not have this exact unit but sometimes these receivers are designed like garage door openers in that their frequency can be changed. It looks like this one cannot be changed from the outside but I would take off the housing and look for a set of DIP switches inside – maybe you can set them to match the hard way.

View technochitlin's profile

technochitlin

#12 posted 03-21-2013 01:19 PM

For those lazy like me, Amazon has them here

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#13 posted 03-21-2013 01:22 PM

I appreciate the review. Thanks.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View phomer's profile

phomer

#14 posted 03-21-2013 02:59 PM

I attached a small binder clip to the chain. I just clip it to my shirt so I don’t have to hunt for it. Works great.

-- David Gardner, Natchitoches, LA

View john200's profile

john200

#15 posted 03-21-2013 03:05 PM

One thing I have found with my remotes is they get dust in them and sometime don’t work so well. I now put them in a zip lock bag and use the remotes while they are in their bag and I haven’t had one quit working now in 2 years.
Thanks for the great info!
John