Harbor freight F clamps

Review by shelly_b posted 03-10-2013 05:26 AM 2837 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor freight F clamps No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Harbor freight had some clamps on sale, $2.99 for 6in, $4.49 for 18in so I decided at that price I didn’t have anything to lose. I bought 10 6in and a few 18in. I wanted the 20in too but they were on back order. They came in the other day and I am very impressed. I have alot of the bessy F clamps and these actually seem to be heavier duty. They are machined great, look great, and they meet perfectly in center. They look just like the pic http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-bar-clamp-96210.html I have checked some of the cheapos out at other stores that seemed met way off center. And ordered some online that look good in the pic but don’t look like they were made by a kindergardener once I get them. They also have rubber on the handles which make them much easier to tighten. I will definately be buying more of these as the need arises.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1378 posts in 1902 days

#1 posted 03-10-2013 05:34 AM

Can you put a lot of clamping pressure on them? I broke two of the harbor freight plastic quick clamps before swearing them off forever. These look a little better.

-- Allen, Colorado

View christopheralan's profile

christopheralan

#2 posted 03-10-2013 05:46 AM

I have a few of these too. Great clamps for the money. You can tighten them pretty far without problems. Rubber pads fall off easy, and the bar tends to rust a little, so just remember to wax up.

-- christopheralan http://www.projectwoodworks.com

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

#3 posted 03-10-2013 05:55 AM

I have few of those. Maybe yours are newer kind…

On mine:
few handles fell off.
The pads fall often

when you apply clamping pressure you can see the clamp arch
There is a lot of play from side to side.

I my opinion they are good for clamping stuff that do not require precision.

They are cheap.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

#4 posted 03-10-2013 06:51 AM

I have only used the 6in so far. When I get off work in the morning I will try the 18in and give and update. It’s so thick I can’t see it bending…

#5 posted 03-10-2013 06:52 AM

I too have tried the plastic quick grip and pretty much all of them broke. I also said I would never use them again…but these are not even close to the same thing

View Howie's profile

Howie

#6 posted 03-10-2013 12:20 PM

The plastic ones are only good for light pressure IMHO. I have some of the 6” metal and have had no problems(use them all the time) I would suggest a dab of hot glue on the pads to keep them from falling off.

-- Life is good.

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#7 posted 03-10-2013 12:23 PM

These are one of the gems at HF. Yes, some handles will come off, think epoxy! Yes, they do flex, but unless you spend big bucks, what clamps won’t. If you are just starting to amass a clamp collection and need to add a lot of clamps to the arsenal, these are a great way to go.

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

#8 posted 03-10-2013 12:47 PM

I agree, these are really good clamps, regardless of price. I use the 36” clamps quite often and I’ve had no issues with them.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

#9 posted 03-10-2013 01:32 PM

I have a few of these and I must say, they are excellent. Never fail. When HF puts these on sale I run to pick up some more because they sell out quickly! Haven’t had a bad clamp yet!

-- Max the "night janitor" at www.hardwoodclocks.com

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#10 posted 03-10-2013 02:07 PM

I agree with DIYaholic that this is one of the few HF gems. I stocked up on them earlier this year and have used the 6” and 12” many times now for my projects. I had initially bought a few across their whole range, but noticed that the bar on many of the longer lengths bow. Eventually I returned the 30” and 36” in favor of more 6” and 12”, which I can’t seem to have enough of. My wife also found excellent uses for the 6” clamps as make-shift baby-proofing, to lock down a few sliding doors in our furniture. There’s certainly enough pressure to keep a baby from opening the door.

-- paxorion

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#11 posted 03-10-2013 02:16 PM

I have a few of these. For me, they work great.

Be picky! Wait for a sale and browse through all of them on the rack to get the ones that line up and work best.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#12 posted 03-10-2013 02:55 PM

Cheap or not can anyone EVER have enough clamps????

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

#13 posted 03-10-2013 03:03 PM

thanks for the review,i’ve been needing some 6” clamps and these sound great.reasonable price and they work also,you just can’t beat it.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View knotscott's profile (online now)

knotscott

5553 posts in 2093 days

#14 posted 03-10-2013 03:05 PM

I’ve had great luck with these inexpensive clamps. There are probably 12-18 of them in my shop. These are much better than the black and orange quick grip type that HF offers. Nice review.

View Luke's profile

Luke

#15 posted 03-10-2013 05:14 PM

I agree with most, these are a gem, I think I picked up a few for $1 at a big sale, a few more $2-3. Wish now I would have bought the store when they were that price. I have a bunch of Jorgensen clamps and the wooden screw handles give me blisters tightening them, but these rubber ones are so much easier on the hands.