using a stihl 660 cutting down hardwood trees

Review by Harry Montana posted 405 days ago 2494 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
using a stihl 660 cutting down hardwood trees No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello, calling from Bolivia, I am reading the chainsaw reviews and for us working in the forest cutting down hardwood trees (ipe, massaranduba; I a mean the hardest of the hardest) there is one chainsaw suitable only which is Stihl 660. There is also Husqvarna but for some reason quality is less then Stihl.
We buy each and every year at $980 here in Bolivia a Stihl 660 and its capacity is around 2000 trees per year, (average diameter of 20”), including cutting of the branches and lengthening the log suitable for trucking.
One chainsaw consumes approximately in a year 4 new chains (48 teeth 3/8”) and these cost $26 each. Then maybe two dozen of 3/8” round files and 4 flat files. Additionally a couple of spark plugs, and some other accidental spare parts. Our experience is that this chainsaw is maybe not the cheapest available but with personnel to pay, this is your best quality buy if you are in the hardwood logging business.

View REL's profile

REL

I agree with you Stihl makes the best chain saws I’ve ever used. I have a 16” smaller verision which starts right up even after 20 years of light use in the wilds of surburban New Jersey. I have not used the Stihl on Ipe, but I can testify Ipe is one of the hardest woods I have ever seen.

I bet Stihl would love to use you for a commerical. Their USA headquarters site is around Va. Beach. Someone should tell them about you. I’m impressed!

Thank you for your post.

-- REL, North Jersey

View RodNGun's profile

RodNGun

I have 2 Stihls, sold my Husky, Mac died. Stihls are the best saws, alcohol in gasoline does not help any of them. Thanks for the review.

Harry Montana

we add some 2T motoroil to the gasoline (2T for motorbikes)

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

My dad’s Sthil just died on him, nearly lost it a couple years ago but the repair guy found a replacement coil on a scrap heap somewhere (think the replacement coil died again). Not bad for a utility saw for somebody living in the forest bought over 20-25 years ago.

View Paul's profile

Paul

331 posts in 2088 days

I’ve had a lot of chainsaws, mostly they all cut ok if the blade is sharp but Stihl is the best! Thanks for the video

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

I’ve had two chainsaws. Until sometime in the late 80’s to early 90’s I had a McCulloch. Can’t remember the model but I ran a 36” bar on it and made wages cutting shake bolts as well as cutting my firewood. It was a good saw until some dumb ass ran over it with my truck. I replaced it with a 032 Stihl. Twenty plus years later I still cut about 5 cords/yr of firewood with it. (I’d found a better way to make wages so it’s never had to cut shake bolts). No trouble, always dependable, good saw.

Paul’s on the money. If your chain is shit, your saw is shit. No matter the brand.

-- Visualize whirled peas

View Toughskin's profile

Toughskin

My wife’s grandfather had a stihl 24” out in an old tool shed. Rained on and sitting in the mud, we came across it several years ago, cleaned it up and with a little work, it fired right up. We typically use the Husqvarna Rancher 455 most of the time but the old heavy Stihl is the better saw. I don’t do enough cutting to justify purchasing another saw but either one is good for my uses. My only recommendation is to purchase the best chains, otherwise they dull too quickly and the day is shot.

-- Dan - Marion, Iowa - Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone

Harry Montana

I have just learnt from our hardware store that we should use oil number 30 in order to cool the chain, any comments on that?