I like the new design of Infinity's zero clearance insert.

Review by mbs posted 544 days ago 2573 views 3 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I like the new design of Infinity's zero clearance insert. I like the new design of Infinity's zero clearance insert. I like the new design of Infinity's zero clearance insert. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am not affiliated with Infinity in any way. This review refers to the design made on 3/1/13.

Infinity has made modifications to the design of their ZCI for Sawstop that allows the saw blade to operate at full height. It’s machined out of aluminum and anodized red. The new unit doesn’t need the moving mechanism that sawstop uses. Fit and finish are great.

Infinity drilled access holes in the plate so it’s easy to adjust the height of the insert from above the table. It also has two screws on the side (front and back) that can be adjusted to take out any side movement.

The melamine insert is fairly narrow and could drift into the saw blade if it wasn’t kept in check. Infinity machined two holes to put screws from the bottom of the plate into the melamine to keep it from moving toward the blade. To make the initial cut in the insert, Infinity machined some of the melamine away on the underside so there was clearance for the blade. The insert can lay flush to the table while raising the blade now.

i

After I got the ZCI setup I noticed that when the front of the insert is pressed it would the raise the back of the zci up a bit. The sawstop has a place for a machine screw underneath the insert that was missing on my saw. I put a new screw in with a drop of loctite and the entire assembly is now very solid.

The melamine inserts slide into the plate on dovetails. The first ZCI wasn’t machined properly so there was a step from the melamine to the insert. This ZCI is perfect.

Infinity monitors this website and found my previous review. They contacted me, kept me updated with their progress and sent me the new insert. Their customer service is excellent.

Manitario

I’m curious what the advantage of this is over the standard Sawstop throat plate? Looking at the Infinity website the only advantage I see is that they are slightly cheaper than the SS throat plate.

BuckI

I contacted the customer service at Infinity and asked if I could return the model I bought in October for the updated version. At full height, there isn’t much of the insert remaining when you account for the riving knife and blade kerf. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the update!

mbs

The sawstop zero clearance insert doesn’t have enough support towards the back of the blade therefore the insert dips down below the top of the table. When cutting narrow wood, the leading edge of the wood catches on the top of the table which isn’t a safe situation to be in.. I recently heard about the Infinity billet insert and ordered it the same day.

View brtech's profile

brtech

This ZCI has replaceable inserts. The SS brand doesn’t. You replace the melamine insert, which you can make yourself if you change saw blades. With the SS ZCI, you buy a whole new ZCI for each blade width.

Manitario

I haven’t had any problems with the back edge of the SS insert; it has several levelling screws that can be adjusted to make it perfectly flush with the table…I understand the utility of being able to make your own melamine inserts though…

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Definitely keep us posted, Kevin. I too have the older version that I purchased in the in the fall.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

mbs

Manitario, I didn’t have a problem when cutting large pcs that spanned the throat plate but I did have problems ripping narrow strips. Are you using a riving knife?

On my setup with a riving knife there isn’t enough support at the back of the sawstop throat plate. The narrow workpiece bends the throat plate down in the back by the riving knife and the workpiece stops when it hits the table. For me it’s a bad situation because ripping a narrow pc is scary enough but when the pc stops there is nothing to do but stop the saw and I end up with burn marks in the pc.

I’d be interested to know what happens if you simply use your finger to push down on the insert at the right side of the riving knife. Mine flexes down with the slightest force.

Live4ever,
I had sent an e-mail to Infinty Tools two days ago, an auto reply stated it would be answered in that time frame or sooner….I am still waiting on a reply as to whether I can return mine for a newer one with the updates shown above. Hopefully I will get an answer soon. I wll let you know how it goes when I hear from them.

Manitario

mbs: I have a Shark Guard, but I do use the SS riving knife occasionally. You’re right; my insert flexes down at the back too, I never noticed that before; it’s never affected my cutting though, I have to put direct pressure on one specific spot which I guess hasn’t ever happened to me when cutting thin strips.

View FumedOak's profile

FumedOak

I received a new version of this plate and my conclusions are just like yours. I even figured out the same screw trick to keep the plate from tipping. The plate has been working really well for me and I am a happy customer. Have you guys cut out your own inserts yet?

-- famous line my wife hates to hear "we don't need to buy that. I can easily build it".

mbs

I havent needed to cut my own inserts yet. How about you?

BuckI

After several e-mails and more than a few days between replies from Infinity, they have offered to send new replacement inserts at no charge. As they explain, they will fix the problem of the back of the insert flexing towards the back of the blade. The throat plate I have does not have the modifications of the new one and I received it around the 27th of October this past fall. Fair enough if it fixes the problem, it really is a great looking throat plate and terrific idea for the Sawstop tablesaws. I will try it out soon and post some pics for all to look at with these new inserts.

Excellent, Kevin.

View JSilverman's profile

JSilverman

Anyone have any longer term comments on the Infinity ZCI? I need a new insert for my PCS and am waivering between a SS insert and the Infinity (or making my own from wood). Long term experience/opinions with any would be much appreciated