Good little dust collector.

Review by Addicted posted 03-02-2013 08:34 AM 2546 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good little dust collector.  No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was looking for a dust collector for the Ridgid R4512 table saw I just purchased. My previous saw wasn’t set up for any dust collection, so I have been fighting table saw dust for years.

Don’t laugh too hard yet, because I also purchased a DELTA 50-760 to actually do my dust collection with. I saw this little PSI DC660P when I was doing my online shopping, and decided to pick one of these up. Online shopping can be dangerous to the budget.

The PSI unit arived first, so I’m playing around with it. My long term intention is to use it as a blower to ventilate my paint booth to the great outdoors.

I’ve got this guy hooked up to my saw now, and it actually works fairly well. The noise level and sound quality is very satisfying. I have limited experience with dust collectors, but my gut feel is that the “bag only” option on this little guy would get old fast. I suspect it will fill up with dust quickly and need constant maintenance Thus I ordered the upright style Delta, also with a 1 micron bag, for my primary dust collection needs.

When it arived, the PSI unit required a little “adjustment” to eliminate a rubbing and horrendous noise between the impeller and one of the screws in the housing. I expected this, as numerous other reviews I read had reported this issue. This took about 5 minutes to resolve, and now it’s a nice quiet unit with good air flow (for what it is).

It says it comes with a 1 micron bag, which is great (although I’m not sure how I know that it really is a 1 micron bag).

For someone that wants a small inexpensive unit and doesn’t mind maintaining the bag, I would definitely recommend this one.

View Addicted's profile

Addicted

#1 posted 03-02-2013 07:47 PM

Congrats both are great machines. I know of someone who vents his right out the back wall of his shop into a 4’ by 4’ box with a 12” by 12” filter. Opens the door every so often and removed the dust

-- Norman

View Stephenw's profile

Stephenw

#2 posted 03-02-2013 08:02 PM

I think that unit is identical to the one I got from Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight model came with a 30 µm bag.

I picked up a 5 µm replacement bag from Rockler that is a thick felt material.

-- http://www.garagebulletin.com/

View Addicted's profile

Addicted

#3 posted 03-03-2013 02:23 AM

I was tempted by the HF model, as well as a cheaper vertical unit than the Delta I ordered (which still hasn’t shipped according to the Amazon order status). I opted to buy units that came with 1micron bags for two reasons
1. Don’t have to buy a better bag.
2. Assuming CFM is rated with the supplied bags, I won’t be risking cutting the flow down by changing to a finer bag.

I ripped an 8’ x 3/4” Hickory board tonight, and had zero detectable dust. A few larger cutting chips were left behind, but that was it. No more needing to run my cobbled box fan/ furnace filter setup, and no more respirator. I’m really happy.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#4 posted 03-03-2013 02:30 AM

I also have the r4512 and used the rockler dust right. However, mine throws a lot out over the blade which the DC did not stop. I have ended up just leaving a gate at the exit for the saw and hooking up the DC every once in a while to suck it out. There’s plenty of room in the bin below the blade and I don’t see what difference it makes to let it build up for a while in there?

View History's profile

History

#5 posted 03-03-2013 03:54 PM

I think that the Delta 50-760 dust collector is what you should be braging about. In my opinion it’s the best bang for the buck out there in a dust collector.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

#6 posted 04-23-2013 01:27 AM

I had one of those a while back. I built a cyclone separator using the Wood magazine plans and in a small shop with runs totaling less than 20’ was able to hook it to my cabinet saw and jointer with decent results. I had the cyclone wall mounted over a 30 gallon drum and never had to touch the 1 micron bag. Did it pick up every speck? No, but it did get about 90% of them and made life and clean-up in the shop a lot easier.