Narex Classic Bevel-Edge Chisels

Review by Roswell posted 03-01-2013 07:22 PM 7856 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Narex Classic Bevel-Edge Chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off, let me qualify everything I say by mentioning that this is the only proper set of chisels I’ve owned, and I’m a newbie, sorta.

I picked the Narex brand because FWW liked ‘em for the price. So did Wood Magazine, and a few blogs. I like them too, with a few noted shortfalls:

-The metal is definitely NOT hardened to Rc59 in mine. Moderate prying when chopping (chip removal) will bend the tip out of plane with the back on the standard 25 degree bevel. Using a 30 degree micro-bevel seems to have helped. Despite this, I chopped the mouth for a transitional plane body out of Bubinga with mine, and they held up pretty darn well. I’m actually fortunate they’re soft: My 4yo snuck out into the shop while dad was out of town and several of them got dropped/smacked on the floor. I’m glad they didn’t break!

-The backs take some serious work to flatten. It took me an average of 20 minutes per chisel on a 300 grit diamond whetstone to get them reasonably flat. That means I still may have a dime-size low spot at least an inch away from the tip.

Overall, I’d buy the set again. For a guy whose trying to find the 80% solution with a 1% budget, they’re worth the price and the work to flatten them. I can get them sharp enough to shave with pretty quick, and now that I’ve built a little bit of skill with them, I find myself reaching for them to clean up slop/mistakes I’ve made with other tools quite often. With them and a $30 Crown Gents saw, I was finally, FINALLY able to cut a good dovetail. For $70, it’s hard to go wrong with this set.

-- _Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience_

#1 posted 03-01-2013 09:30 PM

Fair and accurate review, in my opinion. Mine also required the same amount of effort to flatten, but you only need to do that once. I noticed some edge deterioration when chopping out dovetails in white oak, and like you I increased the angle via a micro bevel which helped a lot. For heavy chopping, like big mortises I use their mortise chisels which I like even more than their bench chisels. These tools are definitely a good value for the money.

#2 posted 03-01-2013 10:36 PM

Hmm, I’ve seen several good things about the mortise chisels now. Perhaps I can put that dusty Amazon gift card to use…

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

#3 posted 03-03-2013 08:58 PM

I own both sets, and I agree with your review. The mortise chisels are also superb value, and mine at least came with cleaner backs that the bench chisels did.

View jmos's profile

jmos

#4 posted 03-28-2013 10:26 PM

Good review. I bought a set of larger sizes, 1” through 2” and they took a lot to flatten. Work pretty well now, hold an edge pretty well, I’m happy with them.

-- John

#5 posted 04-27-2013 07:36 AM

Hate to break this to you guys but the backs are deliberately concave from the start.

#6 posted 04-28-2013 11:42 PM

Why would you think this?

View crank49's profile

crank49

#7 posted 04-29-2013 01:50 AM

The backs of all Japanese chisels are concave also.

-- Michael :-{| Don't anthropomorphise your tools, they hate it when you do that.

#8 posted 04-29-2013 03:05 AM

Yeah, but the Narex chisels aren’t Japanese.

Japanese chisels are very obviously concave on their backs, as opposed to the Narex which appear to be designed like most other western style bench chisels—i.e. with backs that are (supposed to be) flat.

#9 posted 04-29-2013 10:52 AM

According to a seller in the UK, they are not completely flat so that you don’t have to spend an eternity polishing the back. It’s only the front cutting edge that does all the work anyway.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#10 posted 04-29-2013 12:56 PM

Narex chisels did very well in a Fine Woodworking performance test of about a dozen or so different brands of various chisels.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#11 posted 04-29-2013 01:49 PM

Ever get the feeling that there are people out there that get change back every time they put their two cents in?

View hammer6048's profile

hammer6048

#12 posted 03-26-2015 02:14 AM

Would like some feedback, received a set as a Christmas gift from my son’s and was chopping mortices in some Southern Yellow Pine, the edges don’t hold at all. A real disappointment. Hope Lee Valley will give me a credit against something better, or is it buyer beware?

#13 posted 03-26-2015 04:09 AM

- hammer6048

Neither actually. Most non-mortise chisels will chip out on the first 1/32nd or 1/16th. Just grind the edge back a bit and you won’t be disappointed. Even their V11 chisels throw up this characteristic.

Keep at it, you’ve bought a good set there.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#14 posted 03-26-2015 07:04 PM

I have the mortise set – haven’t used it alot, but have no problems with it. My mortising skills are not good enough for me to worry about the backs being exactly flat.

This is the first negative thing I’ve heard about Narex.

-Paul