HF Japanese Flush Cut Saw

Review by LoydMoore posted 03-01-2013 04:52 PM 2682 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HF Japanese Flush Cut Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

What to say. I have German, Swiss, real Japanese and American flush trim saws that cost anywhere from $20 to $70. Ever since I bought the Harbor Freight saw all of these are collecting dust in their storage drawer.

This saw cuts faster and cleaner than any of those saws. Not sure how fast it will dull but for $8.00 (with 20% coupon) I will just toss it and buy another.

-- Loyd, San Angelo, TX http:www.moorewoodenboxes.com

View LoydMoore's profile

LoydMoore

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

#1 posted 03-01-2013 05:27 PM

I like mine, though the teeth didn’t like the accidental contact with the copper on a recent project :)

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 03-01-2013 05:29 PM

Looks like it will make a good card scraper after it serves it’s purpose.

Japanese pull saws are awesome, thanks for the review.

View Spur's profile

Spur

#3 posted 03-01-2013 07:03 PM

I am generally one who prefers to buy the best quality I can afford. That said, there are some things I put in the “disposable category” due to my inexperience and lack of care. This falls into that perfect “beater” category where it is a saw I don’t mind picking up for any and all small cuts, let the kids use it, drop it, etc. Definitely gonna have to give it a try :) Thanks for the review.

-- Henryk, South Carolina

View crashn's profile

crashn

#4 posted 03-01-2013 09:20 PM

I like my HF flush cut saw also, only one I have, so cant compare, but it works and works good, thats all one can ask for.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

913 posts in 2036 days

#5 posted 03-01-2013 09:45 PM

I’ve had mine for about 8 years now. I don’t use it much, but total usage over all those years is well worth the money I spent on it and it still works well. I like the way it cuts so well, I had considered buying another and adding a stiff back on it to use as a dovetail saw, but just never got around to it. I still might try it.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#6 posted 03-01-2013 10:17 PM

I had this saw before and I agree, it’s great! I bought a different one when it rusted after leaving it in some glue shavings.

View Willardz's profile

Willardz

#7 posted 03-02-2013 02:50 AM

I have had mine for a year now. Works great!

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need? http://www.willardwoodworking.com

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 03-02-2013 02:55 AM

Mine is over a year old and still cuts dowels flush and fast! One of HF’s treasures.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#9 posted 03-02-2013 03:24 PM

My only complaint with mine is the blade is loose in the handle… always was.. and I have not tried to tighten… but it cuts okay… fast and smooth for my needs.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#10 posted 03-03-2013 05:53 PM

I have the same saw and I also am very happy wiith it.

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

615 posts in 1919 days

#11 posted 03-04-2013 01:35 AM

i use one to cut the fret slots on the guitars i build. it works perfectly and the slots are an exact fit

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#12 posted 03-06-2013 09:27 AM

I bought one last year to cut fret slots, built a small miter box to go with it and together they work great. This is one of the handiest tools I own which I use on almost every project at some point. I also bought the larger HF pull saw with black & orange handle and it’s a turd. The difference is the larger saw has Japanese style crosscut teeth, I now own 3 saws with those and they all suck.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#13 posted 03-06-2013 04:27 PM

For those odd tools like this that many of use do not use regularly I think the HF version is great. Several of my tools fall into this category. Why spend big money on something we rarely use? Plus if you do use it more you can see where it needs improvement and know what to look for in it’s eventual replacement. Sometimes called a learning curve? (Laughing) As for the handle, yes it is a bit crappy but a piece of scrap wood, some time, and a little effort you can make a new one. Thanks to Bearpaw I have ample stock of maple and mahagony to work with that fits this and many other projects.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View BigJoshMan's profile

BigJoshMan

#14 posted 03-06-2013 07:28 PM

I have that same saw and for the price it is outstanding. One of the Harbor freight jems and its actually made in Japan.

-- Josh, Central California, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Aspiring novice woodworker.