A very good set for the money

Review by Ron Harper posted 417 days ago 3893 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A very good set for the money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Redoing my shop and needed a new set of bench chisels, at least I talked myself into a new set. Paul Sellers had given the Narex Bench chisels a good word, so I ordered the Imperial set from Lee Valley. They arrived almost perfectly flat, and sharp enough that only a quick hone got them ready to work. Please realize that I am not doing this for a living, so my tools do not get the hard use of a 10 hour a day cabinet maker. But, i spend at least two full days a week in the shop.

These things fit my large hands. If you do not have big hands, they may need some reducing in the handle. They take. Very good edge and retain it for a reasonable length of time. I routinely strop when I detect any sluggishness, and usually will strop twice before I rehone.

I am very happy with these chisels. I do not use them for fine paring, though I believe they would do just fine. II have a set of Chas. Buck paring chisels, which I am extremely fond of. Back to the Narex bench chisels. I am sure you can find a finer tool, but it would be very difficult to do at this price.

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

I have these as well. My 3/4” chisel couldn’t stand up to light/moderate mortise chopping, it was folding an edge after just a couple of blows. I contacted Lee Valley and they sent me a new set, which is working just fine now. I think they are very good user chisels. Good review.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

Ron Harper

Lee Valley is not a good company. They are a GREAT company. Their customer service is wonderful. I have been dealing with them for a long time. Not one bad experience.

View BRAVOGOLFTANGO's profile

BRAVOGOLFTANGO

Ron thank you for sharing this. I’ve wanted this very set for a couple months now, but have slowly but surely getting ready to pull the trigger.

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

What a wonderful set of chisels these are for the price. I been using mine for a couple of years and have no complaints. The Narex mortise chisels work very well too.

I do have to say that your chisel rack looks a little scary. :-)

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View crank49's profile

crank49

I have the mortise chisels and fully intend to get this set as soon as I can swing it.
And +1 on Lee Valley. I, too, think they are a great company.

-- Michael :-{| Diapers and politicians both need to be changed often; and for the same reason.

Ron Harper

They hang on the wall and you have to reach up to get them. See photo