Liogier Joinery Float

Review by rdwile posted 549 days ago 2430 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Liogier Joinery Float No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was asked a few months back to review a new tool for Liogier rasps from France. They were thinking of starting a line of joinery floats and wanted the opinions of some users to refine the product before offering it for sale.

I am pleased to see some of my feedback was incorporated into the final design which is now available for sale.

These tools were very popular in days of yore, I think the reason is that they are so easy to use, modern woodworkers do not commonly use these, I think this should change. A float is much easier for general joinery work than other options. As in the video, its easy to adjust the sides of mortises and cheeks of tenons, because of its substantial flat surface making it easier to register and stay flat in use.

And yes I paid for this float.

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

Thanks for teaching me something. I can easily see the value.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for the review and the teaching,
Before the video, I had no idea what a float is made for.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5017 posts in 1942 days

Good info…I have several rasps that I occasionally use when shaping boxes and they are most useful. I also have have some huge massive rasps that never get used but make good wall decorations.
I also never heard of a rasp being called a float. To me a float has Ice Cream in it….

mmmm – ice cream….

Not sure how they got named. I have a number of flat rasps that I often try to use on flat surfaces with mixed results, this is very much like a file, it is easy to know when it is flat on your surface as all the ridges are exactly the same height.

I have wall decoration tools also, this is not one of them, I am finding new uses all the time for this tool.

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

The difference between a rasp and a float is rasps have multiple teeth over any given cross-section, and generally the more irregular the spacing the better the finish. Floats are more like files with a single rip saw tooth at any given cross-section.

No idea what the origin of the term ‘float’ is.

View StephenPrunier's profile

StephenPrunier

Great, now I have another tool to buy! LOL

P.S. Do you live any where near Bridgewater N.S.? My nephew plays hockey for the Lumberjacks, not to be confused with the Lumberjocks! LOL

Thanks for the video and the schooling : )

rdwile

I am very pleased to see that others see the value in this new/old tool, it is a lot easier to control and get predictable results than say a paring chisel or a shoulder plane on smaller surfaces and deeper mortises. It is very hard to screw up with this tool, and very easy to get repeatable results. I think other makers offer and will be expanding the availability as popularity increases.

Stephen – I am near Halifax which is about an hour’s drive from Bridgewater.

View cagenuts's profile

cagenuts

If you have ever floated a concrete floor then you will know that to float is to smooth, hence the name. Used originally to smooth wooden planes.

-- Weekend Wood Wrecker