Very Happy with my new table saw

Review by Don posted 514 days ago 3776 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Happy with my new table saw Very Happy with my new table saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, I’ve had my new CX200 for about two months now and overall, I couldn’t be happier. My old BT3100 said our goodbyes and I borrowed my son, his friend and his truck and off to Busy Bee we went. I had actually purchased the saw two weeks prior to this but I wanted to sell my old one before getting the CX200 home. As it was, I got it home and the BT3100 was still in the garage so I just left it in boxes. Three of us manhandled this 500 lb bad boy off the back of the pickup….not an easy task.

The day I was going to sell the old saw, my garage heater died. http://lumberjocks.com/topics/45050.
Before I could set the saw up, I had to run a new 220v line. Not a difficult task. With new heater running and the 220v line run, it was finally time to unpack my new toy. As you can see from the picture, I rigged up a block & tackle to move it from the skid to the Shop Fox mobile base. Unpacking and assembly was fairly easy as the instructions were very straight forward.

Okay, saw is unpacked and assembled, cleaned off with mineral spirits and waxed down with thee coats of wax. Time to make my first test cuts. I started with something easy, 1” Maple rip and cross cut using my Incra mitre gauge. I did these cuts with just the riving knife in place…..lots of dust. I threw caution to the wind and grabbed a 2” piece of Walnut and then a 2” piece of Maple. She chewed through the wood without even blinking, not even a hint of the motor bogging down.

The new fence took a bit of getting used to as I am used to putting the locking handle all the way down to lock…not so with this one. I’m satisfied with the fence for now and see no reason to change it out.

Cuts on the CX200 are dead on accurate right out of the box. I haven’t had to make any adjustments to it at all. I made a cross cut sled for it immediately, nothing fancy just practical.

My only issue thus far, and the reason I won’t give it a 5 star rating (yet) is the dust collection. It ends up with quite a bit of sawdust in the bottom of it after several cuts. For now, I’m not going to blame the saw for this but I’ll point my finger at my DC system…a work in progress. I’m thinking seriously of running a line straight from the DC to the table saw, bypassing the chip separator. I have some projects to get out of the way first.

I had quite a debate with myself and absorbed a lot of good information from this forum and also the Canadian Woodworkers forum before purchasing the CX200. I had heard all kind of bad things about Busy Bee (Craftex) tools and was told to avoid them like the plague. I read that the new CX line of tools were excellent machines and that the Craftex and Grizzly machines come from the same factory so I leaned towards the CX200 with it’s 3 year warranty and local business and support. I’m happy I did, thus far.

nwbusa

Nice review and congrats on the saw. I own the same saw, branded by Laguna (the Grizzly G0691 is also the same saw) and I agree with you on all points. I also accumulate a lot of dust in the bottom of the cabinet, which I mostly blame on my wimpy Delta 1HP dust collector. I will soon me upgrading to wither a 2 or 3 HP mobile cyclone system which I think will make a big difference. The 3HP Leeson motors in these things are strong! Enjoy your saw.

111999 posts in 2174 days

View NormG's profile (online now)

Congrats on the saw

-- Norman

You need a better dust collector, this is where you issue is.
I know , this is never ending.
Good review.
Happy sawing

Don

The dust collector is a Craftex CT030 2 HP. I think I’ll try a straight run to the TS before I chuck it out :)

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

Thanks for the review, let us know how the saw holds up.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

When is the last time you cleaned the filter on your DC?

Don

b2rtch – it’s a canister and I give the handle a coupla turns after I finish for the day….

nwbusa

Don, I notice your mobile base doesn’t extend out to the right to support the table (see my saw picture below). Any concerns with the rails being unsupported at the far right of the saw?

Don

Hey John…I don’t have the long rails for this TS so there really isn’t that much to support. I think the picture is a bit deceiving….

length of the rail is ~62” and there’s only 20” to the right of the table (before the extension table)

nwbusa

Ah, okay thanks Don. I think the perspective of the picture fooled my eye!

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

Congratulations to your new saw! Goodluck and enjoy.

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

I saw this up close not long ago, what a beast! Enjoy the new toy!

Don

I’ve used the ‘beast’ word several times when describing this bad boy to people Dustmite97.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5367 posts in 1972 days

First review I’ve seen on the Craftex saw. Well done. I’ve read that Craftex is owned by the brother of Grizzly, and in this case, the Craftex, Grizzly G0690, and the Laguna shown appear to be very similar, if not essentially identical saws.

Enjoy!