Yes I bought one of these, yes I actually like it - go ahead and start laughing

Review by lumberjoe posted 02-24-2013 03:11 AM 5693 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Yes I bought one of these, yes I actually like it - go ahead and start laughing No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off, writing this review to me is like admitting in front of all my friends that I bought and really like the new Justin Bieber album. It’s a “piece of crap direct drive tiny useless toy”. I have actually said those words to other people considering this. So why did I get it?

Well for one, I have grown to like handtools. I don’t have room for another giant (expensive) 220v power hungry piece of cast iron. I have a few planes including a stanley jointer and I actually enjoy jointing by hand. So what’s the issue? My wife loves making cutting boards using exotic dense hardwoods. Her cutting boards have been featured as banner for the woodcraft facebook site and a few other places. She developed quite a following and we make a few a week now.

Hand jointing super hard exotics sucks. For me anyway, it’s a miserable, shoulder racking, more frequent than I would care for sharpening needed, tear out filled experience. I contemplated making a planer sled, but I don’t have room for another gigantic jig. A router plane would work, but that’s A LOT of wear and tear on my router and my neighborhoods eardrums.

So here we are, looking at mini jointers. I considered the Porter cable until I saw it in person. What a piece of junk. The fence is so bad I can deflect it with hand pressure when it is locked down as hard as possible. Granted this was a display model, but I look at the additional wear and tear a display takes as a sign of things to come.

I went and checked this one out and I am glad I did. The granite surfaces are nice. Super flat, and I don’t remember the last time I saw granite rust. the fence is heavy and solid. I locked down the tattered looking display model and tried my best to get it to give and it wouldn’t. So I took a chance.

Assembly took about 10 minutes the first time and about 15 the second time. Why a second time? The fence needs to be shimmed. It’s a hair (literally) too far from the cutter. I pulled it off the brackets and threw some washers in. I then started checking things out. Tables were completely flat. Using the adjustment mechanism provided, I was able to get the fence at a true 90 degrees to the table verified by a starrett machinist square.

Usage is pretty easy and pretty noisy. I have done a lot of hard maple, purpleheart, cherry, walnut and a sampling of a few others. I wouldn’t say it’s a beast, but at no time did I feel like I was overloading the machine taking about a 3/32” cut.

Results are superb if you keep your piece under 30”. Dead flat to the cast iron on my table saw, and jointed edge dead square to the referenced edge. Just for giggles, I sent a 3’ 2×4 tough it and the results were far less than stellar.

Would I recommend this to anyone? Probably not. Unless your specific needs match mine, it’s a pretty limited tool. If you only work with pieces under 30” and under 4 1/4” wide, and do not have the space for a Craigslist 6” X5 or Ridgid, it’s probably the best tool in it’s class. **If you are trying to be cheap and use this where a proper jointer is required and think you can ”make it work”, you can’t. The short bed and short fence put a pretty hard cap on the lengh of board you can run through it.

My wife is happy that she can fix any gaps in her dry fits herself, my shoulders and waterstones are happier, and my wallet didn’t get hurt anymore than an expensive dinner and a movie would have done.

lumberjoe

View Dallas's profile (online now)

Dallas

#1 posted 02-24-2013 03:19 AM

Grampa always said, “The right tool for the job is the one you own!”

And now you own it. Thanks for the review.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#2 posted 02-24-2013 03:23 AM

Ha ha ha ha ….

(Just kidding!)

Looks great, Congrats!

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View nwbusa's profile

nwbusa

#3 posted 02-24-2013 05:43 AM

Nice review, thanks Joe. So, 7.5 amp must make it a 3/4 hp motor? That’s pretty stout for a 4” jointer. I actually sold my Delta 6” jointer with a 1 hp motor, and I’m not sure how soon I’ll be buying another. Like you, I am enjoying hand jointing, but I have a stockpile of gnarly curly maple that needs face jointing, and let’s just say I’m not in a hurry for that workout. Congrats on the tool!

-- John, BC, Canada

View don1960's profile

don1960

#4 posted 02-24-2013 12:36 PM

If that’s anything like their tabletop 6” jointer, I can see why you like it.

I had their 6” tabletop model for a while, and I can say the same things about it that you say about this one. Only drawback was the length of the board one can use effectively.

I’d say you were right on with the review.

-- -- Don from PA

15144 posts in 1908 days

#5 posted 02-24-2013 03:05 PM

Nice review, I had a table top Delta for yrs. I just out grew it for what I was trying to accomplish. I would have kept it for using on small quick things but gave it to my pops as he didn’t have a jointer at the time. Tools are like anything else; they have uses and serve a purpose. If it works for you guys then so be it!!!!

Congrats to you and enjoy!

View jasonR's profile

jasonR

#6 posted 02-24-2013 04:25 PM

I’m confused. Did you or did you not buy a Justin Bieber album?

(Thanks for the review.)

-- Jason

View NormG's profile (online now)

#7 posted 02-25-2013 12:06 AM

Our wood father in WOOD heaven, please for give this purchase.

Anyway, I have the 6” Model and it does just what I need it to do.

Thanks for the review

-- Norman

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

2011 posts in 996 days

#8 posted 02-25-2013 02:10 AM

Good review and sense of humor. No shame with owning one as long as it fits your needs. You mention it’s loud, so turn up the volume to hear your new Bieber album while you use it….

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

#9 posted 02-25-2013 03:12 AM

No Bieber music, but this is the bieber of jointers.. I put another 10 board feet through it today for an end grain board I am making. It’s still in the clamps, but I don’t think I’ll need the router plane.

View 489tad's profile

489tad

#10 posted 02-25-2013 08:44 PM

Like I tell my sons, Don’t be hating the Bieber. He drives around in a Brinks truck and has all kinds of girls chasing him. Not too shabby.

Good review.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View Thomas Hanson's profile

Thomas Hanson

#11 posted 02-25-2013 11:01 PM

I acquired one accidentally so I can dispense with the taunts about my or Bieber’s virility. My neighbor is a pipe line worker gone for long periods of time and I do things for him that needs a little thought behind it. He had one of these on his shop floor getting kicked around by others and rained on and mud spatter on it so I took it home, cleaned it up, sharpened the dull blades, I made a magnetic blade holder to use with my diamond hones and it worked our very well. I’m amazed how well this works! Where was this when I was still playing around with violins? The only drawbacik is it only does 4 inches and I don’t see a way to remove the guard to give it more. I suppose if it were mine I’d get creative here, and I do intend to get one as I have a Lays Potato Chip Van Wood Shop. Small, small.

-- Okie from Council Hill

View gawthrrw's profile

gawthrrw

#12 posted 02-25-2013 11:44 PM

LOL!!! (you said I could?)

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#13 posted 02-26-2013 01:54 PM

I would just be careful – every time I go to Sears they have one of these with a broken table in the discount area.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#14 posted 02-26-2013 01:57 PM

helluvawreck aka Charles

#15 posted 02-26-2013 05:31 PM

Dhazelton, it’s not packaged very well. If anyone decides to get one of this, it’s definitely an IN STORE purchase and check the box for damage. There is very little protection in the box and the fence can just bang around at will. I actually refused the first box they brought out to my car.