Must-Have Books for Plane Collectors!!!

Review by poopiekat posted 542 days ago 1338 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Must-Have Books for Plane Collectors!!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Although this book has been mentioned a few times, I don’t know of a formal review here, so here goes: Volume I and II, “Patented Transitional & Metallic Planes in America” is an astounding body of research on the development of handplanes made since 1827. The research deals with planes from 1827 to 1927 in volume I and 1927 to the present in volume II. In it you will find data from the US Patent Office, as well as blueprints, logos, and advertising literature for the perhaps hundreds of US plane makers through history. Also is a section on spoke shaves and related tools. There are 336 pages in each volume.

These volumes are full of obscure facts, such as businesses that purchased planes from manufacturers and upgraded them with their own patented accessories, planes marked by one manufacturer but built by another, and planes that never got off the drawing board. Data is presented more-or-less alphabetically. There is of course an entire section for Stanley, including many examples I’d never seen or heard of. Here’s a random page:

Yes, I’ve got most of the popular hand plane books, which focus on the user skill, care and maintenance etc. This book is devoted to the identification of historic planes and the technical evolution of the plane itself. These two books, my own first editions, will be displayed prominently in my antique bookcase with my other cherished woodworking books.

Don W

Thanks for the review. I’ve looked at these books several times with the thought of buying them but was never sure if they had valuable information.

poopiekat

Thanks, Don!Yes, you of all people would probably benefit the most from owning this set!
I did forget to mention though…I paid $100 + shipping for volume one, now out of print. It came with a suppliment which added more info to the original text. I paid $144 (with shipping) for a perfect copy of volume two direct from the author! He loaded up the package with an astounding lot of other vintage information, too. I know the sting of the price would fade, and already I am thrilled with the purchase. Shop carefully, I know there’s bound to be a good deal on these come up sooner or later.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

poopie… You are really HOOKED on these planes! LOL

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

Nice, kinda spendy though. Thanks for sharing.

poopiekat

ShaneA: Any purchase that increases your knowledge is a real investment. Plus, if and when I decide to sell them, I will undoubtedly get my money back plus.

Joe: I spend a lot of money on old planes, as you know. To have a greater depth of understanding, and to become astute enough to tell the difference between a true rarity and a bit of cast-off junk, is priceless.

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

Biblophile as well as plane-oh-holick ?

(AND..Who stole my spell check..?)

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

Thanks, Glen!
Yes, I do try to add worthwhile books to my library, and weed out those that I never look at, and donate the cast-offs to the animal shelter book sale here.
If these books are more than you’re willing to pay, I understand some libraries have them, worth a look.
I’m simply stunned at the body of research contained in each volume.

Don W

I ordered this one. Different but hope its close to the same, http://www.ebay.com/itm/261173818301?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Looks good, Don!
I’ve already tried to do a bit of research, that question about transitionals with the auto-set feature, but I’ve been unable to spend much time on it today. I’ll gladly crack the books whenever there is a question that might be answered comes along in HOYD or in your blog. That is, if you haven’t already beat me to it!!! Please do a review on the book when it arrives! Wow, do you intend to get the entire set, Don?

Don W

The book I mentioned above, Patented American Planes (Vol 2) for Wood, Leather and the Allied Trades, is just a listing of plane patents. No other useful information.

My copy of Patented Transitional & Metallic Planes in America Vol II is on its way straight from Roger Smith. He’s out of Volume I, I’ll keep an eye on ebay.

poopiekat

Yes, don, I had the privilege of communicating with Roger Smith directly also, he and his wife spend the winters in Florida, they’re fine people! They bring copies of vol II with them for the occaisional orders they get over the winter. I hope he signed yours, he did mine and also sent along some great old literature on planes, saws, and industrial supply from his own collection. I paid about a $100 plus tax and shipping for a good Vol. one. Durn it, it’s missing the dust jacket, but oh, well!! You’ll be glad to own these, mine stay right at arm’s reach beside me at my computer, for those emergency lookups.

Don W

Volume I is being digitized and put on a CD but he doesn’t know when it will be completed.

poopiekat

Y’know, I think that Jim Bode guy on eBay is somehow connected to Roger K Smith, some of his planes are identical to the pics in the book. That Birdsill Holly plane, for example. Could it be? These guys whose collection is featured one at a time in the book, how do I ever break into that inner circle?

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Poopie, I haven’t bought a plane in a good while because I’ve got a pretty good selection of users and that’s mostly what I’m interested in. I suppose that I have about 20 Stanleys in all. I’d love to get into collecting planes but to do so properly I know that it would take a good bit of time to learn the ropes. Nevertheless, I would like to know more about them in depth and these look like two very good resources and I do appreciate your taking the time to give us the review. Thanks.

helluvawreck aka Charles

Don W

I just snagged a reasonably priced “Buy it now” volume 1, so the set is in the mail!