Grizzly 5, shipping 1

Review by tmelch posted 02-23-2013 10:29 AM 3352 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly 5, shipping 1 Grizzly 5, shipping 1 Grizzly 5, shipping 1 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a GO490X 8” jointer from Grizzly about 4 months ago. Been wanting to do a review, so here’s my scorecard on the whole experience (10 being the best, 1 the worst) with some comments for each:

Ordering: 9 Over the phone, very easy.

Shipping: 1 I picked up at the UPS Freight terminal. It was dropped in shipping. Sheared and bent cast pieces and bolts, parts falling out. See the photos. Bad news, it must have gotten away from somebody, huh? Glad I wasn’t around.

Customer service after the sale: 9 Grizzly offered to send replacement parts. But after I sent photos of the damage, they decided to replace it. That’s when the fun started. The reason I picked it up at the terminal was because the 18 wheeler couldn’t back up my driveway. I have a work van, so that was an easy decision. While unloading is a big job for one person (it can be done, see below), loading it back up in my van was NOT on my things to do list! So I requested a smaller truck with a lift gate that could get up my driveway. Grizzly obliged and a few days later a UPS driver called me saying he was near my house, but couldn’t get into my subdivision because he was driving an 18 wheeler (let alone up my driveway I told him). So I called Grizzly to again get clarification on the truck. Next day they told me a smaller UPS truck was not available and I was responsible to get it back to the terminal. It’s at this point I had to reconcile myself with the fact that I was saving about $1,500-$2,000 over a comparable “name brand” jointer. So I took the challenge and figured a way to winch the boxes back into my truck with ramps. That was fun, and I didn’t injure myself. :) Hauled them back to the terminal, and picked up the replacement at the same time (Grizzly rep suggested this, which I really appreciated). No damage, as a matter of fact, Grizzly built a custom shipping crate for me, which the rep said they would try to do. They could have drop shipped it from a helicopter and it wouldn’t have been damaged. :) Remembering this now, I just upped my rating to a 9.

Instructions: 5 I’ve come to learn you aren’t a woodworker unless you can put up with poor assembly instructions.

Assembly: 7 Unloaded using a strap winch and ramps. Lifted it up on the stand with winch as well. Everything went together well. Some reviews indicate problems lining up the pulleys, but I got it on I think the 3rd try.

Fit and finish: 8 Switch tower could be more rigid. Fence has about a 2 thousandths vertical cup in it, but is imperceptible when you put a square to the wood after squaring. I may call them on this?? Maybe not. Beds are dead flat within a couple thousandths. Were not coplaner from the factory, but only took an hour or so do it. Adjustments were easy since beds are parallelogram. Fence adjustments a bit finicky, but hey, how often do you move the fence once it’s set up.

Product performance: 9 After aligning the tables, this thing is the BOMB! Love the spiral head. Very little vibration, nickel stays on edge, some vibration as it comes to a stop, but I’m done anyway. :) Was squaring up some 8/4 ash last night, did a great job! You need at least a 400 CFM dust collector close by to keep it clear, if you forget to open the blast gate even for a couple passes it clogs up.

Price: 10 Like I said, saved $1,500-$2,000 over a comparable “name brand” jointer.

Would I buy again from Grizzly: 10

View tmelch's profile

tmelch

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

#1 posted 02-23-2013 02:28 PM

Thanks for the review. A larger jointer is high on my wish list.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View gvales's profile

gvales

#2 posted 02-23-2013 08:23 PM

I’ve wrote this a few times now….go inside a ups freight warehouse….you will wonder how anything ever gets delivered in one piece!

View redryder's profile

redryder

#3 posted 02-23-2013 09:56 PM

I guess SHIP happens…....................

-- mike...............

View BigRedKnothead's profile

BigRedKnothead

#4 posted 02-24-2013 01:40 AM

I’ve got a similar jointer. Works great. Only beef I’ve had is that I’ve had trouble keep the fence at 90 degrees. I’ve tightened it so hard I’m afraid the bolt will snap, but there are a lot of moving parts on that fence.

-- Red -- "That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." W. Whitman

View cso's profile

cso

#5 posted 02-24-2013 03:05 AM

I just took delivery of this same jointer last month. Tables not co-planer, I took care of. The table lips were way out of alignment. I had to get new ones from grizzly, no problem they shipped them. The fence had some damage, they sent me a new fence, never asked for the old one back. Customer service is second to none. How are they making money? Oh, I forgot the Chinese worker makes $1.36 an hour according to 2012 stats.

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#6 posted 02-25-2013 05:03 PM

I have had one of thses for three years now and I have to say I am delighted with how it works. When I turn it on, it is in use for at least 1 to 4 hours at a time.

Look closely at the Grizzly, it is almost identical to the Delta DJ-20 but with a spiral head and several hundred dollas less cost.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com