Almost Two Years with My Grizzly

Review by WillyParker posted 02-23-2013 10:29 AM 2700 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost Two Years with My Grizzly No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I feel fortunate to have this fine machine. After trading up from an ancient contractors saw which although carefully calibrated and adjusted, had limited power and stability. While the new Grizzly is certainly not perfect, in every area significant area, this machine is excellent. It capably performs the most precise woodworking tasks.

The machine arrived from the factory with the arbor exactly parallel with the miter slots. As many of you know this is extremely important for doing precise work and I expected to have to adjust the table. No matter how many times I checked this value during my setup I couldn’t find even a .001 deviation front to back using a dial gauge registered on the miter slot. My expensive Woodworker II blade has more deviation.

Other reviewers have complained about the extension wings not being completely flat and hence impossible to align with the main table. I had no such problems although I did have to shim the left table extension and did so in accordance with the instructions. Checked with a Starrett straight edge, the assembled table and extensions are flat within .003 across the entire width and even less front to back-maybe a Powermatic/Delta/SawStop is better but these tolerances are good enough for the most demanding work and for me.

The fence needed some minor adjustment to be perfectly parallel with the miter slot arriving about 1/64th out front to back, the adjustments are easy and precise although there is a knack to getting the adjustment correct while maintaining the appropriate pressure on the fence rail, not too tight or too loose. It should slide freely and lock positively and after about 30 minutes of fiddling mine was parallel, moved freely and locked positively.

The arbor itself, as checked with a dial gauge, has absolutely no run out, zero, zilch, zip, nada. It should be noted that the blade elevation wheel raises the blade exactly 1/8th per turn, you can set you blade height merely by counting turns. There is some backlash in the mechanism but less than both the Delta and the Powermatic I tried at the local supply house. The arbor tilt was set exactly at 90 and 45 from the factory and, like the elevation wheel, the tilt wheel moves the arbor smoothly and precisely.

The machine is exceptionally quit and smooth. It has virtually no vibration and easily passes the nickel and dime tests. It has excellent power, I’ve ripped 3” thick hard maple and the machine never even broke a sweat.

I have the mobile base and the 500 pound machine moves around quite easily.

The router table is a nice feature and I’ve mounted an ancient Hitachi plunge router in mine. The setup works well for the majority of my routing chores but you do loose the thickness of the table from your routers maximum depth. If someone could figure out a way to mount a router lift under the table it would be much better

The miter gauge is a joke but I use crosscut sleds for most of my 90 and 45 degree crosscut work. I did manage to set and lock it a a precise 90 degrees and use it for making quick tenons with a dado blade and auxiliary fence.

One of the aluminum table inserts arrived bent. Grizzly had me a new one in two days. I used the replacement as a pattern to make a set of zero clearance inserts out of hardwood for my normal blade and various dado blade widths.

The riving knife is excellent and was adjusted correctly-I admit to not normally using the guard but found that it works quite well, and is not as obtrusive as you’d think.

All in all I’m quite satisfied with my Grizzly 1023RLW.

-- You write your own eulogy, every day, Willy

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1964 days

#2 posted 02-23-2013 02:55 PM

Nice review, I looked hard at this saw and the G0690 when I was shopping about a year ago for a TS upgrade.

definitely has some nice features on this saw and would suit almost any hobbyist for their needs. Glad you got one that came with little to no issues. Always that nervous time when you first unpack and assemble a saw and pray that you got a good one!!

View Roger's profile

#3 posted 02-24-2013 01:53 AM

Thnx for the review. It’s always good to hear that setup of a machine like this, goes swell, and the performance is good also.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

#4 posted 02-25-2013 01:14 PM

Great review, I have been looking very closely at the G1023RLWX 10” 5 HP 220V Cabinet Left-Tilting Table Saw. Seems to be very close to the saw you have purchased from Grizzly. Only real difference being, the 5 Hp motor rather than 3 Hp. My thought is for an extra 100 bucks why not go with a 5 Hp motor instead. I have limited space in the shop as I live in Southern California. So the router table connected to the table saw is a very practical function for me.
How do you like that base? As I will need the same set up I’m thinking.

You mentioned about putting a lift on your table. I don’t know if you are aware of this or not, Triton Routers Do Not requires a lift. I have they’re 3 1/4 Hp and love it. Before you mount it to the table you just remove the plunge spring. With a template you drill a hole in your plate for the above the table tool. The router bit changes are above the table as well with an auto lock, so it stays in the table once mounted. You only have to reach under the table to turn the main power switch off for you to be able to raise the bit all the way up and engage the auto lock to change bit, and if your locking the bit height for repeated cuts. There are videos and here is a review from Fine Woodworking.

I don’t work for them just sharing my thoughts. Good luck.

View WillyParker's profile

WillyParker

#5 posted 02-25-2013 02:37 PM

KEN9>Had the same thought regarding the 5HP but it seemed like overkill and after using the machine I can’t imagine, given the maximum depth of cut with a 10 inch blade, when that level of power would be required. Perhaps the 5 would be beneficial over a lifetime of use in that the motor would run at a lower % of maximum capacity and therefore last longer-theory behind the way turbojet engines are operated. The base is fine, I don’t move my machine very often but it’s easy to do. Give some thought to where you mount the swiveling casters, or better yet replace the fixed casters with swiveling ones.

Thanks for the gouge on the router, I’ll check it out, PEACE AND BLESSINGS

-- You write your own eulogy, every day, Willy

#6 posted 02-26-2013 11:47 AM

Ok thx for the info have a great day!

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5453 posts in 2027 days

#7 posted 03-10-2013 03:09 PM

Excellent job with the review!