Great blades at a great price

Review by Chris Wright posted 02-22-2013 06:15 PM 1590 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great blades at a great price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I build a lot of handplanes and when I was looking for an inexpensive high quality blade set I.came across there blades. Woodcraft’s house brand, they offer blades for the #3 (153917 $15.99), #4&5 (153918 $16.98) and the #6/7 (153919 $20.99). After using the V3 handplanes extensively, I was familiar with how well the blades preformed. They are ground at 25 degrees and require honing out of the packaging but the hold an edge well and are very flat. At almost an eighth of an inch thick, they are heavy-duty and can take a lot of abuse with minimal chatter. When paired with a heavy chip breaker (I use the Hock) you now have a great blade set that can be used in a plane project or can be a cost effective way to upgrade an old bench plane.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

#1 posted 02-22-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks for the review, I have a WoodRiver plane and am satisfied with it.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

#2 posted 02-23-2013 03:57 AM

Great tip man! I caught this on your last plane project. Although I’m not crazy about the square hock chip breaker. I want to build another plane but I might go with the LN chip breaker. Looks a little better. To bad WR doesn’t. Make a a chip breaker to.

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

View BigRedKnothead's profile

BigRedKnothead

#3 posted 02-25-2013 03:45 AM

I wonder if these are considered O2 steel or what?

-- Red-- "At the end of the day, try and make it beautiful....because the world is full of ugly." Konrad Sauer

View wingate_52's profile

wingate_52

#4 posted 03-27-2013 10:49 AM

T 10 water hardening steel. Great blades. I have a selection. Better when matched up to the thick chipbreakers. They fit older Stanley planes with little or no adjustmant and turn them into proper tools.