Not what they said it was!

Review by grosa posted 420 days ago 1774 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not what they said it was! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This drill Does not perform the way they said it would. I give them 5 stars on the weight, it is very light, half the weight of a Dewalt drill. The first three weeks the battery would last 4 or 5 hours. Keep in mind I am working this drill 8 hours or more a day. A month later the battery life dropped dramatically. I am changing batteries 5 or 6 times a day. The torque is half of the Dewalt drill, even though the Dewalt is heaver and cost more I think it is worth the money. I was lucky enough to use a new Dewalt lithium for 1 month. The torque never went down and the battery life was very long. Every morning I put in a fresh battery at 7:00 am. Between 2: 00 pm and 3:00 pm is when I needed a fresh one. The Dewalt is twice as heavy as the Makita. I will be getting the new Dewalt drill. I will keep the Makita around the house that’s all it’s good for. If you want a workhorse drill the Makita is not it.

-- Have a great day.

View grosa's profile

grosa

View josephf's profile

josephf

I might be jumping to a conclusion here -But it does not seem fair to compare as was done .This is makita little or light weight version . It’s battery is smaller ,should not hold up as long and may not have the same life time .But a comparison to dewalts little one might be more conclusive .
I will add as hard as the user is working his tool he might really appreciate the brushless versions .

View BorkBob's profile

BorkBob

While LI batteries are said to keep working right up until they need charged, I’ve learned to change them more often. Runniing them until empty or using them uder a load that’s more than designed for can lead to overheating. Heat will degrade these batteries and cause premature poor performance.

-- Please Pray for Our Troops / Semper Fi / Bob Ross / www.theborkstore.com

View Luke's profile

Luke

I have the drill and impact combo. For my type of use (home use) it is such a step up from the heft of the cheaper drill I came from. My father in law also has the same drill and impact combo and he installs commercial HVAC systems and has the same complaint, the batteries don’t last long enough for him.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

I have experience just the opposite. I replaced a Dewalt lithium drill nearly 5 years ago with the Makita 18v lithium drill. I use the 3ah larger battery and the Makita is an absolute dependable workhorse. I use it daily and like it enough that I ended getting the Makita impact driver, jig saw and circular saw. I have never had to replace the batteries.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

I have the Mikita LI drill….it on my list to replace soon. Here is why. I purchased the package that came with 2 undersized batteries, charger, drill and hard case. The small 1.5 amp hr batteries soon failed. I assumed that perhaps it was just me, maybe I was asking too much of the smaller battery. I shelled out the extra money for the 3 amp hr batteries and brought the small ones with to the woodworking show hoping te get them replaced as spares. The District Rep said no problem, he took the old batteries and said he would have new ones sent to me right away. Needless to say, nothing came. I called customer service, they had no idea what I was talking about, called the Store that actally had the booth, again no idea. So I’m out the 2 small batteries. About 4 months after buying the larger batteries, one fails. Now the charger is starting to give me problems. I would sell it on Craigslist but I hate to pass on a lemon to anyone.

I am very disapointed in Mikita at this point. I don’t think I iwll every buy another product from them. My old Skill homeowner drill had a better lifespan than this paperweight.

Greg
PS I hope someone from Makita reads this site..just so then know that they have one upset woodworker out there who will tell everyone they know not to by their product.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

The switch on my Makita drill went bad and it was too costly to replace
the switch.

Bummer, Makita used to be extremely dependable. At least the batteries
are holding up so my Makita impacts are working.

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

I’d give it one star just cuz it’s looks remind me of a damn tennis shoe. And by “tennis shoe”, I mean the kind of tennis shoes that don’t even look like tennis shoes.

-- Visualize whirled peas

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

I am with muleskinner on that drop the tennis shoe look, it’s just something else to fall/wear off.

I have an old Makita 9 volt (I keep that model because I cannot hold the larger 12/18 volt models) and I switched from the NiCad batteries to NiMH about 5 years ago and I will take this over NiCad or LI any day of the week.

The discharge curve of a NiMH is nearly as good as a LI but much flatter than a NiCad and they don’t have the “explosive” characteristics of LI. And, the NiMH seems to hold a charge when idle much longer than the NiCads.

I don’t understand why all of the manufacturers jumped on the LI band wagon so quickly!

I am not a professional contractor but typically my NiMH batteries need charging about once a month.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View don1960's profile

don1960

Wow.

My experience with the small battery version of the two piece Makita combo has been nothing short of amazing. Absolutely the opposite of what some have expressed here. Maybe I got the only good one? :-)

I have the exact opposite experience with Dewalt vs Makita. I have a Dewalt NiMH 18v hammer drill that the battery lasts just long enough to do maybe 10-15 holes. It does them extremely well, just the batteries don’t last near as they should, and the thing is HEAVY. Same thing with an 18v Dewalt circular saw of mine. The battery lasts maybe 10 minutes of use before it need swapped out and recharged. Now, they are both the NiMH, but still don’t last very long.

It would be interesting to get a few of these together and do an exact one to one comparison. Maybe shed some light on why so many different experiences.

-- -- Don from PA

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

While I can understand your frustration, I don’t understand what you think you were promised. What do you mean doesn’t perform the way they said it would? What did they say? I have a Makita set that I’ve had for several years. I have two of the 3aH batteries that will last me all day. Maybe you got a bad set.

View Paul's profile

Paul

331 posts in 2089 days

Rather than spring for a new Makita battery I found a recon. Ridgid drill for about the price of a battery from Makita. I happened to find it on Woot.Com It came with two batteries. I’m just a DYIer so I don’t give them the test you guys do but so far I’m very pleased with the Ridgid. (CPO sometimes has specials on these recon models).
I’m thinking that recon might mean first line products stamped recon so they can lower the price and sell more units without bringing down the regular list prices. Maybe I’m wrong that’s just the way I’m thinking.

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

384 posts in 1950 days

I have the same drill and my battery for it died after using it just a few times. Went in to get another one and they wanted almost a hundred bucks for one. I can’t even tell you how pissed off I was. The batteries are crap.

View gawthrrw's profile

gawthrrw

I’ve had this drill for over a year and a half and have never had an issue. I use it on all of my projects but not consistently all day everyday. The only issue I have ever had with it was that it doesnt give you a warning that its running out of juice. It just runs out. I need to get a backup battery for it.

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View Bill1225's profile

Bill1225

I use that series makita daily 2 drills and 2 impacts in my opinion they have the best balance of power, weight and battery life! Sure there are stronger but they are heavier , sure some have longer battery life but they are bulkier. Just my 2 cents they are the best compromise out there of the 3

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

I have owned the Makita 18v. drill/ impact combo for two plus years and have no complaints on this tool(s).
I replaced my Ryobi 18v. set with this tool and never looked back. I use it daily and the batteries have always been great at holding a charge and the recharge is a few short minutes away.
I have used the DeWalt and I do agree that it is a very good heavy duty industrial quality tool. As is the Milwaukee and othes
The Makita demonstrator at the woodworker show told me “to use the tools wisley and be sure to use the drill for drilling holes and to use the impact driver for driving the screws” ... seems simple enough, because the drill was not designed to drive screws and it will wreak havoc on them … and over work them, thus over heating the batteries.

We all need to remember that there are several grades of tools, both power and hand tools.
Home Owner Grade Tools: are designed to be used once in a while on the weekends. The motors will have bushings not bearings and a short anticipated life span. But they are cheap and usually an off brand. (read knock off).

Utility Grade: are designed to be used … lets say a “few hours” every day and are a huge step up from the lessor grades. These tools are made to a stricter tolerance and use highher quality of materials in the manufacture. These are the tools that are designed for most of us.

Industrial Grade: Here is the High quality, high priced tools designed to be used all day long and stressed to the max. under industrial loads like manufacturing, commercial building etc.

Tools just arn’t cheap and we all have to streeetch our cash as far as we can, and by being aware of how the tools are going to be used should play heavily into our purchasing decision.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it.