Can't go wrong with Felder

Review by Dustin posted 524 days ago 3697 views 0 times favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Can't go wrong with Felder Can't go wrong with Felder Can't go wrong with Felder Click the pictures to enlarge them

Don’t see too many people around with sliders so I wanted to talk about mine for a bit. The outrigger table holds your work while it slides past the blade so cutting panels is a breeze. It’s harder to rip solid wood down but I do that as well. This model has a 5.5 hp 3 phase motor so it doesn’t break a sweat cross cutting 2” hickory. The outrigger has an adjustable stop and stays at 90 degrees exactly. I can easily move it to whatever angle down to 45 degrees.

This is a 2007 model so it has the new xroll slider which is very impressive. It’s anodized aluminum so it’s pretty strong but I worry about scratching it up sometimes. So far it’s handled pretty well.

The scoring blade works extremely well with veneer that normally tend to blow out.

I am very familiar with table saws. I most commonly use a SawStop 7.5 hp industrial, and contractor saws. This saw is by far more comfortable to use for cutting panels but slower at ripping down lumber by a little bit. The fence on this slider is solid and also superior to any fence I have used on a regular table saw.

Dust collection is impressive using suction from both under the blade and above it. Of course I am also probably overdoing it a bit with the 3hp dust collector. I probably only needed half that.

The KF700SP is a saw/shaper but I don’t use the shaper because I have four others in the shop that work perfectly fine. If I ever get a bigger slider I’ll end up setting this one up as a dedicated shaper.

The slider is sturdy enough that I can sit on one end and let it slide all the way out without a worry of deflection. It’s an 1800 lb beast that’s not so much fun trying to move around.

I got this baby off of craigslist for a total cost of $7500 with a phase converter. It was worth every penny.

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

An impressive looking saw; what would one sell for new?

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

About 16k right now

View djwong's profile

djwong

Dustin,
It looks like your slider is sitting in a rather confined space. Are you able to use the full length of the slider? I would love one, but have been afraid that it would be too large in my small 2 car garage.

-- David W. Cupertino, CA

385 posts in 2053 days

It does sit in a rather small shop. I have approximately 18 feet which turned out to be perfect. I literally have about 1 inch to spare but I can use the entire span of the slide. However it’s only 12 ft wide so I can only use 84 inches of the outrigger, but with what I do it works very nicely.

I think any size slider is going to make using a table saw so much easier but when it comes to spending that much money on a saw I definitely say get the biggest one you can fit in your area.

It also makes sense to get a used Felder for the price of a new Grizzly any day.

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

Thanks for the review. I doubt I will ever be able to afford such an impressive saw, but it would be nice to have.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

Well I officially have major table saw envy. Sigh…..... That is one amazing machine!

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

112001 posts in 2180 days

That’s very impressive ,thanks for the review. I guess the thing that makes me scratch my head is paying $16K for a table saw that makes it kinda hard to rip on(because that’s 90% of what I do on my table saw),unless your a cabinet maker then I can see how this puppy when really increase you out put.

View Béla's profile

Béla

Certainly an impressive machine and an incredible buy! I think most of us would love to have a space large enough and pockets deep enough to have one for just for cutting sheet goods and other really big stuff. Undoubtedly a wise investment for a pro cabinetmaker. But, like a1Jim, my table saw is mostly used for ripping and joinery which are the strong points of our non-sliders. And I’m both space and dollar challenged.

-- Béla, Memphis TN

View John Ormsby's profile

John Ormsby

Nice saw Dustin. I have a 2004 7.5 HP KF700Sp with the X-Roll slider and recently picked up a full Combo Felder with a rare 4’ slider. I split the jointer/planer section from the saw/shaper in order for them to be more user friendly. The 4’ slider makes the tablesaw perform more like a standard one. These are great tools.

Jim, the slider allows one to clamp boards to it and just push the slider for ripping operations. They are very fast and accurate. I have a parallel/taper jig for the slider that is easy to use. A sliding saw is extremely versatile and is much safer than a conventional saw.

-- Oldworld, Fair Oaks, Ca

385 posts in 2053 days

That’s a good way to go John. I still haven’t found anything that slows down my 5.5 hp so I can’t imagine what the 7.5 hp would be like!

I was thinking about getting a bigger conventional table saw and just sticking a power feeder on it for ripping but my Felder still does a better job on the cut than any conventional saw I’ve used. I’m going to look for another Felder with a shorter slider to use for a rip saw maybe, otherwise I’m pretty good with what I’ve got.

If someone has been using just conventional table saws then even a ten year old slider is going to blow their minds on capability and ease of use. I’ve seen some tiny sliders go for as little as 3k. That’s something to jump on.

If I had to chose a workshop with a brand new 4k Powermatic table saw or an old tiny used Felder slider for 4k I would take the Felder without hesitation. Even if all I was doing was ripping even though it might be a little slower.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

This is in a home garage ?

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

385 posts in 2053 days

This is another shop I built just for the saw. It’s 12×18 or so, nothing fancy.

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

Well, I have been trying to refrain from posting, but the thread keeps coming up. It does depend on your personal experience, I went with Felder and it was the worst purchasing experience of my life. Let me put it this way, here in Mexico (which is not know for outstanding CS) I rate Felder as the worst company I have ever dealt with. Granted I bought a Hammer Jointer/planer and a bandsaw, not a slider, but now that I am looking for one, I am going with Minimax or Altendorf, I would quit woodworking before I gave Felder any more money….so here is to hoping CS is better in the US and that your slider never breaks down.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

385 posts in 2053 days

I am a big fan of Altendorf, Martin, and of course Felder. But I didn’t buy from Felder, I bout a used saw soooo who knows. I don’t recommend buying new though anyway. And I have heard that people have had a tough time with Felder before, not many, but it’s there. I think it’s true that 10% of consumers will have a problem with the product.

View MJCD's profile

MJCD

Sliders are a different breed of saw, and they take a different approach than what we (Americans) are accustomed to. From my view, the Slider is a much more safe design, regardless of whether you’re working with dimensional lumber or panels – the saw does the work; and is engineered to do so.

Customer service tends to be person-specific; that is, whomever you deal with at the company (or call-center) is our view of that Company’s whole Customer Service function – having created and managed call centers in India, the Phillippines, and the US, I can tell you they’re a nightmare to hire good people, train them, keep the good people, and manage user expectations. That being said, Felder seems a bit Germanic in their approach to customer interactions – also, one person does not a customer service function make! If someone’s customer service is being poorly represented then it’s our responsibility to kick-it-up-the-ladder, until you find someone who thinks like a consumer – maybe getting the rotten ones fired in the process (which should happen, anyway). I kjnow as the manager of a CS function, I wanted to know who was poorly representing my company

MJCD