Outstanding countersink/bit combination

Review by Rick M. posted 549 days ago 3752 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Outstanding countersink/bit combination Outstanding countersink/bit combination No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the years I’ve tried a number of countersink + drill bit brands, most use a replaceable bit but they are all pretty mediocre and few lasted a year. I’ve owned this Dewalt set for several years and they still perform like the first day I brought them home. Some folks believe combination bits are gimmicky, preferring to use separate products but these might change their mind. Not only do the countersinks perform flawlessly, the tapered bits are exceptional and probably the best wood bits I’ve owned. Frequently I use them for straight screws and they work equally well. A 3/8” dowel fits the countersink hole perfectly.

Set includes a #6 (9/64”), #8 (11/64”), & #10 (3/16”) Rapid Load bits.
Current price around $25.00
Time of ownership: several years at least

I’ve all but given up on quick change bit/driver holders but the solid performance of these bits has made me want to buy the Dewalt Rapid Load holder.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

I’ve been thinking about picking up some tapered countersink bits, so thanks for letting me know about these! I like having options without having to buy online or track down a specialty store, so the DeWalt brand is welcome here.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

I bought that set recently and I have had good luck with them.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3688 posts in 1993 days

I am going to have to try those! The Roybi bits I have are next to worthless!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

Rick M.

Yep, the Ryobi’s are terrible but so is pretty much every other major brand. Most all of them are identical just different branding. I was actually looking for a stand alone countersink when I found these Dewalts, glad I bought them.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

i have bought this set i think 3 times over the years. they have been great and perform flawlessly.
the reason i bought so many is that i broke 1 bit ( defiantly my fault) and said these are so great i’ll buy them again and have spares.
since i have so many i have them color coded and set the countersink at different depths so i don’t have to change them.
highly recommend these.

-- Ben L

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

I have only the #10 of these and I use it quite a bit. There was a slight learning cure because I figured out if you “lean” on the drill when you’re using it, that countersing will drive fast in soft wood (pine), which leaves plenty of depth for a plug :-)

In the hardwoods I’ve tried it in (oak, maple, poplar) it works great. I’ll definitely add other sizes as I need ‘em.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

Rick M.

I use the #6 most often, the #8 occasionally, and the #10 only with larger (actual tapered) wood screws.

View BentheViking's profile

BentheViking

I bought this kit from amazon 4+ years ago and love it. just used it again today. After a few years i had broken a number of the bits and countersinks so I just replaced it with a set I bought at sears for less than $10

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

View darkone's profile

darkone

I have the same kit as Ben and I think these things are awesome. The only problem I’ve had is that one of the tiny allen heads that hold the drill bit in place rounded off on me. Other than that, these have been great!

View groland's profile

groland

117 posts in 2037 days

Thanks a lot for all this good information. I picked up a set of the Ryobi bits today ‘cause they were cheap. They worked okay for small homes, but the drill bits aren’t long enough for large screws. I saw the DeWalt set several of you like. Dang! I should have bought those. Maybe next time.

For use with wood screws, it’s really appealing to have the threaded part, the shank and the counter sink drilled all at once with one tool!

Lots of good info here!

George

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3688 posts in 1993 days

groland, you didn’t read my post regarding the Ryobi bits did you!

Compared to others I have used, these are JUNK!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

Thanks for the review. I also bought the Ryobi drill/countersink bits about a year ago – and they dulled too fast for my liking from not-so-frequent drilling of melamine and softwoods mostly. I will be looking at getting the DeWalt ones very likely.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.