Right on the Mark

Review by clieb91 posted 02-17-2013 07:49 PM 1754 views 5 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Right on the Mark Right on the Mark No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As some of you know I make a lot of peg games and one of the things I hate the most about making them is having to clean up the drill holes. Well I have found the solution to that problem.
MicroMark Double Land Brad Point Drill Bit.

I found these in a catalog for model building that my grandfather had given me and they claimed to make the a clean cut hole in all woods. My games are mainly made with standard pine and I was a bit skeptical but at around $19 for a set (see pic 1) I figured it would be worth a try to save me some time. I ordered them and got them about 4 days later. I pt them to that night. Check out this cut.

as opposed to this:

Which is what I was getting from basically every other drill bit I could find. I had already drilled two sets of games with the old bits and now I am sorry I did. But I was able to drill out all my other games (738 holes) with these and what a difference after the drill press they are done and ready to be packed up for the show. I am going to sit down and clean up the old ones and that will be the last time I do that trick.

I highly recommend to anyone that needs to drill clean smooth holes for any project. .

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

#1 posted 02-17-2013 07:56 PM

Thanks for the review. Let us know how long the last.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

#2 posted 02-17-2013 08:06 PM

Well we drill 100’s of holes for the toys we make for disadvantiges children for Christmas. I might have to check these out.

View barkupatree's profile

barkupatree

#3 posted 02-17-2013 08:43 PM

I drill holes for games all the time too. I use Irwin brad point bits and they also cut as they drill. They last a few thousand holes per bit. Been using them for years and I never use any other brand of bit any more

-- Life is Good Enough -- http://www.barkupatreewoodworks.com/

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#4 posted 02-17-2013 09:31 PM

I think all of us prefer clean holes regardless of purpose. Thanks for the information.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

#5 posted 02-18-2013 01:03 AM

@Karson- With the amount of toys you guys make I can see these as an asset.

@barkupatree- I will have to take a look at those as I would like a few more in the 1/8th size as back up.

@monte- You’re welcome. Hope your show prep is going well.

View dnick's profile

dnick

#6 posted 02-18-2013 04:35 AM

Thanks for the review. This one is worth saving.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#7 posted 02-18-2013 05:32 PM

Were you using brad bits or twist bits before?

#8 posted 02-18-2013 08:21 PM

Pat, I have actually used both. The brad bits did a little better job but not by much.

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

#9 posted 02-19-2013 02:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I need to order a new set of bits…my have joined my pencils have gone on strike or vacation…don’t know which…they didn’t leave a note. Much better pricing than others that I have been looking at.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

#10 posted 02-19-2013 03:37 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been needing a new set of brad points as my old B&D set never was great to begin with but are terrible now.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3845 posts in 2085 days

#11 posted 02-19-2013 04:46 AM

I have been pretty happy with everything I have bought from MicroMart!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"