Worst tool I've ever purchased

Review by Rick M. posted 522 days ago 2110 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Worst tool I've ever purchased No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Some years back I needed another adjustable wrench and thought this might be handy. Rather than a worm gear at the head there is a slide on the handle that adjusts the jaws. Fit and finish of the tool is excellent and I like the color scheme but that’s where the positive ends. The slide mechanism is positioned where your hand or thumb will rest on it while using the tool and it opens very easy, way too easy, but typically binds when closing which means that it’s constantly creeping loose but takes fiddling to get it back snug again. There isn’t much more to say, it’s a horrifically frustrating tool to use, worse than a dollar store wrench. Current price is around $15, I don’t remember what I paid. If, like me, you saw this and thought it might be handy… it isn’t. I would give it less than 1 star if I could.

Time of ownership: half a dozen years roundabouts
Cost: $10-15, not sure

Thanks for the heads up

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

4934 posts in 1906 days

I agree completely..I also bought one of those at Lowes a while back and returned it for a refund a few days later. There are many gimmick tools that come out when someone thinks they arre re-inventing the wheel…and the vast majority end up being flops…but innovation has to start somewhere

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

Thx for the heads up. I have a few adjustable wrenches from Crescent and Snap-on sorry to hear this didn’t work out.

View Marc's profile

Marc

Looks like the slide button is only one side as well. If so, it would be an even worse tool for us lefties. :-/

-- Marc, http://www.logicallymarc.com/

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a museum of crappy tools.

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

I’ve gone through a lot of hand tools in my life. I probably have a couple thousand dollars worth of pliers, screwdrivers and wrenches sitting in the overheads of office buildings all over Seattle. I’ve tried replacing them with the latest ‘new and improved’ versions. I learned early on that there’s really no substitute for a good old fashioned Crescent wrench or a pair of 430 Channelocks or a handfull of Craftsman combo wrenches. Can’t remember ever keeping a gimmick in my tool bag very long.

-- Visualize whirled peas

View Nighthawk's profile

Nighthawk

What they need is on the standard cresent (adjust able wrench for you lot) is a locking mechinism on the adjusting screw so once locked it doen’t creep and re-adjust itself… But I probably would keep to the standard cresent…

However I prefer to just find the right sized spanner

-- Rome wasn't built in a day... but I wasn't on that job? ... http://www.wackywoodworks.co.nz

View MarkwithaK's profile

MarkwithaK

I’ve seen similar designs from other manufacturers and never cared for any of them. I’ve used adjustable wrenches in my line of work almost exclusively and I just never found one that operated better then the old standard design….Klein is still my preferred brand.

-- If at first you don't succeed then maybe skydiving isn't for you.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

Thanks for the review, even though I am the owner of a genuine Crescent, open end adjustable wrench. I appreciate reviews that point out crap. Oh, I acquired the Crescent when the ass hat that stole my wallet (left stupidly by me in my Maserati) broke the driver side window and left the wrench on the front seat.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3596 posts in 1966 days

That must almost be as bad as the B&D battery operated wrench.
You spend more time adjusting than wrenching!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View shelly_b's profile

shelly_b

that sucks, i’ve never seen a bad kobalt tool so far…guess every company makes crap sometimes!

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Sometimes the toolmakers like to get fancy and create a gimmick. I say just stay with the tried and true. A well made adjustable wrench made by Crescent, Klien, Snap-on, and other such folks will last a long time if not abused.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View emart's profile

emart

I always thought those were worthless its good to know my instincts were correct. i always hated those gimmicky tools that claim to “save time and effort”

-- tools are only as good as the hands that hold them https://www.custommade.com/by/emeraldcrafts/

View William's profile (online now)

William

Some tools, this one being a great example, that try to improve on time tested designs, usually seem to fail miserably. On some things, like these adjustable wrenches, the design was done right years ago. Improvements are, from my experience, always a step backwards.

-- http://wddsrfinewoodworks.blogspot.com/