Great Video Well Worth the Price

Review by PittsburghTim posted 02-17-2013 03:30 PM 1887 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Video Well Worth the Price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have purchased several woodworking videos in the past and have been generally pleased, but this one was very helpful. I knew a number of the things from reading other sources, but see it first hand takes some of the remaining mystery out of it for me. I like Chris’ sense of humor and value his opinion on tools and such.

This video is great for someone who does not have much experience with tuning up a plane an nobody around to teach them. He takes you from the purchase of a used plane including both good and bad things for which to look. Then you are taken through the necessary steps to clean, true, sharpen, and set up a hand plane. Finally, he gives some tips to take a plane to the highest level.

After watching the video this past week, I went to the shop and went at it with a Millers Falls No. 8 smoothing plane that I had picked up at an auction last summer. Following his advice, I was able to get this plane cutting very fine, consistent shavings not just from soft pine, but from oak as shown in the photo. The results are fantastic, as the plane had never been tuned and would not cut anything like this before the tune-up.

I can’t wait to tune up some more planes that I have been picking up.

Thanks for reading,

Tim

-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

View PittsburghTim's profile

PittsburghTim

View Tugboater78's profile

Tugboater78

#1 posted 02-17-2013 07:17 PM

I will have to check this out, ive never been taught how to tune a handplane, though have used them many times, have my grandfathers planes that sat neglected for over a decade and have tried to get them back in workjng order watching other videos still havent got it figured out. Been wanting to take a class at nearby woodcraft store but they always scheduled when im at work on a boat.

-- Justin - the tugboat woodworker - " nothing changed me like the first shnick from a well sharpened, decent hand plane"

View gugnheim's profile

gugnheim

#2 posted 02-22-2013 05:28 AM

I agree. Fantastic video. The light bulb moment was in realizing just how good a reference surface can be using tile granite from the home store. I actually picked up an off cut from a granite counter top cutter that is big enough to do my #8.

View Thomas Hanson's profile

Thomas Hanson

#3 posted 02-25-2013 11:47 PM

I cancelled my subscription to Popular Woodworking over this video. Teaching things like this is what the dad blamed magazine is for!

-- Okie from Council Hill

View PittsburghTim's profile

PittsburghTim

#4 posted 02-26-2013 01:45 AM

Thomas, I just don’t know if an article would do the same for me. I have read tons of articles on tuning up planes, but seeing the video gave me the confidence and techniques that other articles have not. I have been using the scary sharp method for years and could get a very sharp straight edge, but seeing the techniques for a light camber and a more agressive one was a big help to me. Since watching the video, I have “super-tuned” three planes. The performance of each one improved over the techniques I have picked up from reading articles.

I wish one of the woodworking schools was closer to Pittsburgh as I believe that some hands on training would speed up my learning the use of hand tools.

-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

#5 posted 02-26-2013 04:33 PM

I too am a visual learner. I would much prefer someone to show me how to do something than look at a limited number of pictures. That said not all videos are produced in a manor to assist with my learning. I have no experience with this video.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri