Move over Bessey Revos?

Review by Marcus posted 02-16-2013 08:55 PM 3017 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Move over Bessey Revos? Move over Bessey Revos? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently did a quick write up of a couple of Bessey Revo clamps that I had just purchased. I was very pleased and still am with them. In the comments, the Jorgenson Cabinet Master’s seemed pretty popular, so in the back of my mind, I thought I would try them out some day.

I rarely go to Woodcraft due to it’s proximity, but I needed a piece of padauk ASAP and my normal lumberyard is closed and the Rockler down the road was sold out. I gave Woodcraft a call and they had some in stock, so off I went. So I get there, quickly head to the padauk and find a gorgeous piece (my lucky day!)...and then decide to spend an hour wandering around like any woodworking addict. I noticed they have a combo back of Jorgensen Cabinet Makers on sale for $129. It included two 36” and two 24” clamps…neither of which I NEED at this point. But just like any woodworking addict, I scooped them up and proceeded to the check out.

It just so happens that the padauk I was buying is for a glue up. Nothing major, 3 boards, 5” a piece, so not really a huge test for the clamps, more like a pop quiz. I will have to say, they passed with flying colors.

What I like about the Jorgensens over the Bessey Revo’s:

The head doesnt slip/fall on it’s own.
The spring loaded pin for the leveling foot…very convenient.
The long distance travel of the screw mechanism

What I like about the Bessey Revos over the Jorgensen’s

The large plastic handles
The support pieces

So I guess the final question is…which is better? To that I can FIRMLY say “I dont know!”. Both are great clamps but neither are perfect (for me). The issues/benefits when comparing the two are rather minor and someone subjective and personal. I think most people will be happy with either. For me going forward, I think I will probably stick w/ the Jorgensen’s since they are made in the USA though (I’ve heard rumblings that some no longer are, but these were still stamped as such)

Happy Clamping!

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#1 posted 02-16-2013 09:16 PM

2 years ago I bought 4 of the Jorgensons 24” at Menards, they were $20 apiece, this past Fall, I was in Menards again, and the same clamps were on sale for $25 apiece, I bought 4 more, these normally are in the $ 40 to $45 range. so far they have proven to be has good as the Revos, I have no complaints about them, but I have found them in only 1 Menards for this price, and that store is about 300 miles away, we go to No Illinois to visit the wife’s family that is when I find them, the local Menards, (50 miles away) does not have them for the lower price.

-- Smitty!!!

#2 posted 02-16-2013 09:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up Smitty. I have a Menard’s a couple miles down the road. Sounds like a good excuse to go wander around there for a while.

I know Menard’s has “Made in America” sales a few times a year…it would be nice if they added these clamps to the sale.

View RobertT's profile

RobertT

#3 posted 02-16-2013 09:28 PM

I alternate my glue ups by clamp brand also. Like you I am not sure witch brand is better so it comes down to price. Menards does put the Jorgensons on sale all the time.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#4 posted 02-16-2013 10:38 PM

I got two of the 36 for Christmas or Birthday a few years ago. I now have 8 of them, half 24” and the others are the 36” and they are STURDY, they standup on the garage floor, they sit flat, and they make darn good joints. Use them all the time for cutting board glueups. And they’ll likely last me my lifetime and be passed down to my son. The last two I got off of ebay and although they didn’t have the pretty new smell, they’re just as good as the ones out of the store. Worth every penny.

Scott

-- Scott, Irmo SC

15303 posts in 1932 days

#5 posted 02-17-2013 12:43 AM

I’m like you I have a bunch of dofferent ones. Bessey, Jet, Jorgensen and Irwin. I buy then like you when I see them on sale. Never enough clamps right? LOL nice review.

#6 posted 02-17-2013 12:54 AM

Thanks for the review. I have a lot of clamps and a good 40 of them give or take are Bessey’s there good clamps but I’ve used jet clamps and really like the the trigger that I wish Bessey’s had ,I can’t see the trigger on the Jogensen’s your review but if the have them I would choice them over bessey’s too. Thanks for the review.

#7 posted 02-17-2013 01:00 AM

Hey Jim. They actually do not have a trigger, but the mechanism catches itself when upright so it doesnt crash down like the Bessey’s. Really just a minor issue in the scheme of things, but when both of these clamps work so well, you have to start nit picking.

Before the recent purchase of the Bessey Revos and these Jorgensen’s, I have been using a good # of handed down Bessey’s and some larger quick grips I’ve picked up along the way. Both of these offerings seem to work considerably better than what I had been using.

#8 posted 02-17-2013 01:22 AM

Thanks for the info Marcus

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#9 posted 02-17-2013 02:53 AM

I too have both the Jorgensens and the Besseys and my main plus for the Jorgys is they are more forgiving when you forget and get glue all over the rails. They just keep on working where the Besseys have to be cleaned up or they won’t slide. I bought 39 of the old aluminum shaft Jorgensens (48”) from a stair shop that was closing ($140 for all 39!) and I really like these a lot. But I don’t think they sell them anymore?

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

#10 posted 02-17-2013 07:57 PM

These clamps are great, the only thing that seem to bother me is the wooden handles, Marcus you were right about that. I wish the handles were a little smaller with rubber grips then they would be perfect for me. I also got them on sale at Menards this past Thanksgivings for @22.00 for 24” and $26.00 for 36”. Then took the add to Homedepot and had them match the price and bought another 4 clamps.

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#11 posted 02-18-2013 01:28 AM

I have a few of these Jorgans clamps and I love them, as for the handles bein slick I just take some masking tape and wrap it around the handles and kinda crinkle it up and it works great my hands get really dry working with wood and I got tired of spiitn on my palms all the time to get a grip, but they are great clamps and so are the shopfox clamps from GRIZZLY they are a steal 4 1/2 inch jaw and 12 to 48 inch length very good price on these clamps

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View CL810's profile

CL810

#12 posted 02-18-2013 02:00 AM

Marcus – I purchased my Jorgensens at Menards’ Made in America sale last year. Around $26 for the 36” cabinet masters.

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#13 posted 02-18-2013 02:57 AM

Have the Bessie’s and the Jorgensons. Actually two Bessies and six Jorgensons. I always go for the orange. They have the edge IMHO. They are a little more beefy, the mechanism is better and the bar is easier to clean. Made in USA as well.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View ClampMan's profile

ClampMan

#14 posted 02-18-2013 02:55 PM

Hello Everyone…. this is a good “first post” for me on Lumberjocks. My name is Jim and I am the Customer Service Manager for Adjustable Clamp Company. We manufacture Jorgensen and Pony products. Glad to see all of the positive comments about the Cabinet Master clamps! Just wanted to remove any doubt… they are still made right here in the U.S.A., right across the street from where I am sitting! Some of you may know me as Clamp Man from the Woodnet forum.. thought I would wander over here and browse around. Thanks. Jim

View HickoryHill's profile

HickoryHill

#15 posted 03-11-2013 04:41 PM

Like TechRedNeck, I reach for my Jorgies everytime over my old style Bessies. Don’t have any Revo’s, so I can’t comment on those. Not having to deal with the grooved bars just makes it so much nicer.

-- Jim, Michigan