Garage Heater

Review by PaulLL posted 02-16-2013 05:37 AM 2954 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Garage Heater No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I installed this heater a couple weeks ago now. So far it’s been awesome! There is no exposed flame and no fumes. It’s natural gas powered, 22,000BTU and uses no electricity. The pilot light is internal, the furnace works with convection, heating an element which draws cold air from the bottom and you can feel the heat blasting off the top! I’ve been dying for heat out there for 3 winters, long, long, cold winters! Hard to do much work when your garage temp matches the outside temp of -20C.

Anyways, this was very easy to install, comes with a poster to hang on the wall and marks all your holes, all 2 of them, one for the natural gas line and one for the exhaust. Only took me 2 hours with an extra set of hands and a few basic tools to install. Because of the convection it did take a little time to get the heat up, since all my tools were cold, but now we can open the door drive the car in and it’s back to t shirt temp in only a few minutes.

An accessory fan can be added to help move the heat if needed, but so far Id say that’s really not needed.

Oh and my garage is a standard 2 car, roughly 25’ x 25’.

View MitchBigglesworth's profile

MitchBigglesworth

#1 posted 02-16-2013 11:38 AM

Do you run the heater constantly or only those times you are working in the garage? Just wondering how quickly this unit could heat up a cold garage. Thanks!

-Dicky

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 02-16-2013 11:43 AM

Thanks for the review, Paul. I’m actually considering how to heat a shop right now since I will be building a shop soon.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#3 posted 02-16-2013 03:31 PM

Nice set up I can see why you bought this. -20 C or -4 F for us yanks,,,, Boy that is cold. I’m whining to Blondie when the shop is 50… I’ll be quiet now… Congrats on more shop time…..

View RobertT's profile

RobertT

#4 posted 02-16-2013 06:11 PM

You will like the direct vent a lot better than a ventless heater. My ventless will run you out of the shop when you open a can of thinner.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#5 posted 02-16-2013 07:27 PM

Looks great. Thanks!

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

#6 posted 02-16-2013 09:23 PM

Still no heat for me, but this maybe an answer

-- Norman

#7 posted 02-17-2013 03:02 AM

Dicky, it has a thermostat, so I leave it on all the time, but turn it down to 10C when I go in at night and then back up to 20 when I head back out there, it only takes a few minutes, maybe 10, to warm it up enough to take my hoody off. My garage isn’t sealed well and heating and cooling causes to much condensation so I don’t want it to fluxuate too much.

Thanks for reading guys

View cso's profile

cso

#8 posted 02-17-2013 05:49 PM

So do you still get some condensation on the cast iron surfaces? I have a portable open flame propane heater that heats up fast, but because it’s not vented, I’m trapping the moisture in the garage. I guess I was looking for the vented style to help solve this condensation problem. Thanks for the review.

#9 posted 02-17-2013 07:09 PM

CSO, I had same thing previously, a little propane heater, that was my same worry with that unit. I have no condensation with this unit, but I also never let it cool down far enough that any of the steel or iron tools get cold to the touch.

View bondogaposis's profile

bondogaposis

#10 posted 02-19-2013 02:48 PM

That is the same one I installed in my shop last year and it changed my life. I can work every day no matter how cold. It really extended the time I can spend in the shop, especially in winter, which is the best time of year for me to be out there. I also opted not to buy the accessory fan and my ambient air cleaner provides all of the air circulation that I need. I don’t run it at night when I am not in the shop, I just get it going about an hour before I go out there and my 2 car garage is nice a toasty when I’m in there. If I’m doing a glue up, I just let it run for a few hours before I shut it down for the night.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View colt's profile

colt

#11 posted 02-19-2013 09:15 PM

Hi Paul,

Did you get your heater from a Canadian supplier and if so who was it? Can’t seem to find much about them here in Ontario but there is a US on line supplier who can ship to Canada.

Thanks, Dave

#12 posted 02-20-2013 04:46 AM

Hey colt, a friend of mine with a plumbing company bought it for me from one of his suppliers here in Calgary, a company called Wolseley. I’m pretty sure they have offices across canada.

View mwill87428's profile

mwill87428

#13 posted 02-20-2013 05:03 AM

A couple of years ago I installed a small pellet stove in my 850 sq ft shop and it works great. One disclaimer, I live in the S.F. bay area and 40 is cold to me.

-- Max

View Glen's profile

Glen

#14 posted 02-23-2013 06:53 PM

If you are looking for a heater you should also look at a HotDawg heater. Its suspended from the ceiling so takes up no floor space, has a fan to move the heat around, power vents through a chimney or through the wall and has a thermostat. Prices vary according to the size of heater you need.