Darned good fer the money.

Review by Mark posted 557 days ago 3292 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Darned good fer the money. Darned good fer the money. Darned good fer the money. Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so please bear with me. I purchased this saw new back in Dec. and have been using it fairly extensively ever since. It was a toss up between this and the Laguna LTS 220 and I picked this as it is 2 hp compared to the 1.75 and it was $100 cheaper (that paid for the mobile base). It” a fairly high tool with a table height of 36” adding a mobile base brought it to 36 3/4”. As I’m a bit of a short a$$ it means a bit of leaning way over to see the blade. It came pre-wired for 220V. As I have a panel in the garage it wasn’t a big deal to add another outlet. The mobile base was a great investment because I have to roll it in and out every day. I found the assembly and set up a breeze. The Mrs. and my self moved it off my truck, unpackage it and put it on the stand. As for set up, it was pretty basic. No adjustment to the trunnions and just a bit to the fence and miter bar. I find the fence is ok, but If I had the extra cash I would definitely upgrade to something with more precise adjustment. Over all. I find this tool to be good value for the money. Maybe not as good a big cabinet saw, but it does what it was built for and it does it well. The 2 hp motor has power to burn. I would defiantly buy it again. I hope this review helps .

Mark

Nice review and congrats on the saw.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

I have a bunch of General tools and every one has been a solid, well built performer. I’m glad you like the saw, thanks for the review!

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Lawseeker's profile

Lawseeker

Thanks for the review. Congratulations on your new saw. You didn’t mention the price. Since I am in the looking around mode for a table saw, its nice to know what others have paid and where they purchased the saw. Nice you have the 220 easily available to you, some of us are not so lucky.

-- Marvin, Bakersfield CA -- stay alert, be courageous--

Mark

Lawseeker ; Sorry about that. I got it from Canadian Woodworking in South Surrey. Great bunch of guys there. Very knowledgeable and help full. I paid $1059.00 plus about $65 for the mobile base. They were cheaper than any one in the area. I’m pretty sure this saw will preform quite well on 120V as well.

View jeff's profile

jeff

643 posts in 2096 days

congrats on the new saw,thanks for the review…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

”I’m pretty sure this saw will preform quite well on 120V as well.”
Are you saying that the 2hp motor is or can be wired for either 110v and 220 volt ?
How many amps does it draw at 110volts ?
Looks like a nice saw , and I appreciate your real pictures versus some folks using the online ones in their reviews : )

View Howie's profile

Howie

Mark, I have the same saw and have to say I agree with everything you said.
I upgraded the fence to an Incra LS.
Set up was easy and fit finish I thought was superb. One little spot on the extention that was easily rubbed out with some 1000.
Woodcraft here was selling them out and I paid 899 for it plus another 50 for the base.
This saw replaced a Ridgid 3650 and as much as I like it,I’ll admit I miss the old Ridgid sometimes.

-- Life is good.

Mark

Dusty. The motor is tucked way inside the cabinet so I’ll go with the specs on the web site. They say 19.5A @ 120V. That being said ( if that is the FLA of the motor) as per Canadian Electrical Code your going to need a 30A breaker and #10 wire.

Howie. This saw replaced an ooooLd 9” Rockwell Beaver. I don’t miss it a bit. :)

-- Mark

Thanks for the info on the voltage / amps : )

Previous reviews have also agreed that they are dependable saw and do just what they are designed to do. Congrats on the purchase

-- Norman

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

That is a sweet looking saw. Thanks for the pics and review.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

Thanks for the review although it could use more detail. What is your experience level with table saws? Is price/hp the only reason you chose this tool over the Laguna? When say you would buy a more precise fence, what about the original fence is not precise? I’m not trying to needle you, just genuinely curious.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

112014 posts in 2208 days

Thanks for the review it’s refreshing to see a review from someone who did not just open the box and has used their saw ,enjoy

View dnick's profile

dnick

Thanks for a very informative review. Looks like it will do whatever you want it to.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

Mark

Rick. As I said this is my first review so you’ll hafta bear with me. Back in the day I built my dining rm and living rm pieces. Tables and chairs yadda yadda, but that was 30+ yrs ago. I’ve done a few projects since then so I kinda know which end of the saw ya feed the wood into. When I was shopping for a new saw, I found both the Laguna and the General to be good tools. So i guess it just boils down to HP and $. The stock fence isn’t to bad. There is no fine adjustment and the way it hooks on to the rails, when you hit the leaver to hold it in position some times it kinda kicks over to straighten out. There are adjusting screws on the fence so you can true it up to the blade. Not bad …But not great.