New Saw

Review by canoe911 posted 553 days ago 5357 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me start by saying that I only got this saw three days ago. I also had to buy it without looking at a demo model in a showroom as I have none near my home. And my last tablesaw was the Skil 10” Tablesaw w/Stand #3310. Which while worked for me for some time had reached a point that I could not get anything more from it.

First I will speak of the Laguna sales department. I would give them 5 as well. I chatted online with someone and when I asked him some questions that he was not sure about he asked if a sales rep could call me to help me. I agreed and had not even finished logging out of the chat before the phone rang. The salesmen was very pleasant and overly helpful(of coarse he was trying to make the sale). He answered every question I could throw at him (sometimes needing to go look at the saw itself). I was able to get it on sale as well 10% off and that covered most of the shipping. He also discounted the extra cost of the lift gate on the truck for delivery to my home. My total cost was right at $1350.00.

Second lets talk of the delivery. I was so happy to be getting this upgrade that I cleaned out my garage/shop to make plenty room for it. I was a little bummed about the time it took to get to my house. Due to the fact that the salesmen said it should get to my house by the next Friday and it didn’t make it till the Monday. While not a real big deal I would have loved to have the weekend to play on it. But when the truck got to my house I was so happy that the driver took the saw right into the garage/shop for me. He was very friendly and helpful. I would have to give delivery 4 overall due to the small delay.

Third we get to the setup. The manual was very clear and straight forward with many pics. I had asked the sales rep about this as I had seen an older review saying otherwise and he told me how they had updated it. I will say as many others have that a second person is best for the setup. However I was worried about that as my friends would be at work that morning. But my wife was able to help me as I held the wings and she put in the bolts. The saw right out of the box was set pretty close. Better than my old saw could have gotten. But after zeroing in on a few adjustments I was very satisfied. So set up gets 5 as well.

Forth I will speak of performance. I loved the ease with which everything moved. There is a type of Polyethylene on the sliding parts of the fence, so it moves with little effort. The wheels to rise and tilt the blade are smoother than any saw I ever touched, even in the stores. The insert that came with the saw was a zero clearance and was really nice however they cut through it to test the saw before shipping and there saw blade was not the greatest, as are most that come with the saw as it would seem. The dust port being 4” was a little hard for me as I use a 2” on a shop vac, but that is nothing to do with the saw. It does have a catch under the saw to keep dust to a minimum underneath. Being a larger saw I was not sure about the noise level, but it was much more quite than my old saw. Being heavy also cut down the vibration and yes it past the nickle test. I am sure things may change over time but as for now I will give performance 5.

Lastly let me speak of value. I was looking at getting a Saw Stop, But the time I would have to wait to save that much more money would be probably be another year for me. And with this one coming in under half of a Saw Stop helped change my mind. I needed a saw with 110v so it was sure to be around 1.75HP and while I did look at Grizzly and a few others I didn’t like the fact that they come prewired 220v and needed to get an electrician to rewire it or void warranty by doing it myself. I would have to say this saw is either the top of the hybrid saws or the lower end of a true cabinet saws. But I am very happy to say I feel I got my moneys worth.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

looks like a nice setup. congratulations.

looks like it’s cabinet mounted trunnion (good thing). how is the blade to miter-slow and fence to miter slot alignment? any blade runout?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

canoe911

No runout and the alingment was very close right out the box, but I did micro adjust it for myself before I started using it. The trunnions are mounted to the cabinet and not the table (great selling point for me) so that made adjusting it even easier overall.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

Looks like a winner. I have the skil right now. When I upgrade in a few months (hopefully) it will be to this nice of a saw. I have looked at the laguna and was wondering what people have thought of them. Thanks for the review

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View Béla's profile

Béla

Congratulations! Most of us here would agree the tablesaw is a core tool should be the best one can afford. But as you said, the calculus isn’t that easy – there is a lot of soul searching and (often) spouse cajoling involved. It looks like you nailed it though. There is no better feeling that having a major tool delivered that exceeds your expectations!

-- Béla, Memphis TN

View Howie's profile

Howie

Looks good. Enjoy it.

-- Life is good.

View schuft's profile

schuft

Congrats! How do you like the fence-mounted push-stick?

canoe911

Thanks guys. As for the fence-mounted push stick, we will just say that it looks good in the showroom. But as for realworld use it was the first thing I took off. It gets in the way of clamping parts over the fence and such.

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

I’m assuming your Skil TS had a universal motor. It’s interesting to realize how much quieter an induction motor in a saw with good bearings can be. I think most of the bench-top saws reduce blade speed with gearing, which also contributes to the noise. Apparently they do this because universal motors, to generate maximum horsepower, have to really crank up the rpms. Another good reason to upgrade a saw.

Congrats and enjoy….

View michaelsgarage's profile

michaelsgarage

i looking at getting my first table saw, would this be a good saw for a first saw? and would i be able to justify it? i am a first year apprentice in carpentry, this would be a purchase for my home/hobbie garage/shop.

View Lawseeker's profile

Lawseeker

Congratulation on your new saw. Hope to hear how it performs, once you have completed a couple of projects.

-- Marvin, Bakersfield CA -- stay alert, be courageous--

canoe911

Michael while I would say yes this would be a great saw for you to start on. The better thing to say is for you to get the best you can afford. I got this one with the plan that it will last me many years. Whatever you do don’t “settle” for a TS if you are looking with hopes to get another. This is my hobby and among other reasons I could not justify a more costly saw (3-5HP, 220vn, etc.). But I do believe that this is a good investment as I think it is a top of the line hybrid saw.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will surely update in a few months how it is still working.

112010 posts in 2203 days

Good luck on your new saw

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

That is a HUGE upgrade from the Skil. I’m sure you will enjoy this saw for years.

Funny thing…the push stick on the top of the fence…I bought the exact push stick in the San Antonio Woodcraft years ago and still use it every time I’m in the shop. It’s black, and it has the words “Moby-Stick” stamped on it.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View dnick's profile

dnick

Nice review. Looks like this saw will do everything you ask of it.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.