THIS BLADE IS A WINNER

Review by gator9t9 posted 2270 days ago 2633 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
THIS BLADE IS A WINNER No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, at the Seattle Woodworking show ..I watched them slowly push the Forrest blade thru the wood and no burn marks…..I was fascinated …I even came back the next day and watched again ….I finally bought a Chopmaster online from Forrest for my Radial arm saw …I received it and it sat on the saw table for 2 weeks as i was in the middle of other things …I finally installed it on my Craftsman Radial Arm saw and at the first cut ..I was amazed . Yes …oh man …I had some maple ply scraps …and the cuts ..every one …was like glass …

But !!!
There was a burn mark at the bottom of the cut …then i was mad ….thinking the saw blade was not what it was advertised ..then i got out my square and sure enuff my blade was not 90 deg verticle to the table.
I got out my manual for the RAS and proceeded to align my RAS Under the handle assembly (I had to remove the saw handle assembly )were 4 allen headed screws for verticle alignment. Getting it square was simple but an “over and over ” process as holding in the square position while tightening the alignment bolts was not that easy on first try …. But finally i got it square ..now back to the saw blade …
At first cut ..the blade burn was gone ….again I was amazed…oh yes i was happy ….a good blade had forced me to learn the alignment of my saw .
OK the Forrest is not a cheap blade …I am usually a cheap guy ….but this time i do not mind the cost and think i have a winner in my shop…
Forrest blades recommends also that a Dampener/stiffener is purchased with the saw blade ..My cost for Chopmaster 10 in, 80 tooth, 7/64 kerf, 5/8 arbor + Stiffener and shipping and handling was $136.17.
We all know good tools cost money ….
I cannot compare this blade to a Freud, or others that i cannot think of now …
I do have a Freud Dado set …(It cost double what the Forrest Chopmaster Blade cost me ) But its cost was not as much as what the cost of the Forrest Dado Set cost …and i love the Freud Dado set….
All in all i am very satisfied and amazed at the cutting of the Forrest Chopmaster Blade …if you dont mind the price …you will love the cut of the FORREST!
I think what first turned me on to Forrest was reading ”
Mr Sawdust” book HOW TO MASTER THE RADIAL SAW . Way back in the 60’s he was expounding the virtues of the FORREST SAW BLADE …and his book is THE BOOK on Radial ARm Saws ….
I now want a Forrest blade on all my saws …
thanks

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Great review. Thanks

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Mike I have them on all of my saws, except my chop saw, but that blade has been sharpened by Forrest, so it’s almost as good. I think they’re the best around. Thanks for the review.

View Fireball's profile

Fireball

Nice review Gator. I agree 100%. Bit the bullet and bought one for my chop saw a few months back and it’s pretty impressive. Once you make a few cuts with this blade you’ll quit worrying about how much it costs!

gator9t9

Fireball So as i understand it on the Chop saw you dont need the stiffener / dampener…is that correct ?

thanks for your comments

Mike,

This is a nice review. I have them on all my saws and am completely satisfied with their performance.

I put a dampener on my table saw, even though I am running a full kerf blade. Whether it helps the performance or not I really haven’t done a comparison. But I have the stiffener so why not use it. It does reduce the overall height a little but I am generally not cutting anything thicker than 2.5 inches anyway.

Thanks for the post.

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

I have had a Forrest on my radial saw for 20 years and it cuts as good as the day I bought it. One of the best investments I have made.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View skozub's profile

skozub

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

I have a Forrest Chopmaster on my RAS and it works great. However, I was told that it was designed for the slide type miter saws. So when I want a perfect cut on the bottom side of the board I push the blade through the wood. It’s kinda tricky and the dust collector doesn’t catch much dust. I plan to put the chopmaster on my dual slide compound miter saw and use another Forrest blade on my RAS. Good review. I have been sold on Forrest blades once I forked over the cash for the first one.

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. I will definitely keep this in mind when I replace my blade.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

I have 5 Forrest Saw blades!! I just love them!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

gator9t9

To Bob Durnell …..re:I was told that it was designed for the slide type miter saws. yes …The Forrest Website actually says RAS usage is Forrest WW1 and Chopmaster … ..but now that i know Chop (hence the name ) i will put the chopmaster on my Miter saw and get a Forrest 1 for my RAS …and see how that goes …i love them so much I may put one on my Router …

View bobdurnell's profile

bobdurnell

To matt garcia, alright you had to make me go out and count the Forrest blades stored in their shipping holders and the two on my saws. I counted 6, oh my I had no idea that I had that many. To keep them in tip top shape they should be sent back to the factory for sharpening. I’ve sent them back twice and they cut just as good as new. It beats buying a new blade. By the way I think I’ll put one on a router or two too!

-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.

View Bob42's profile

Bob42

Nice review!
I have always heard good things about Forrest blades but never tried one. Maybe now I will.

-- Bob K. East Northport, NY

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19319 posts in 2452 days

Thanks Gator.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

My uncle has one in his table saw, we were so impressed that he bought the Dado set and dampner. They are hands down the best you can buy – nobody even comes close! I will be putting one in my new saw ASAP.

-- --Chuck