Reivew of Earlex Spray Station HV5500 HVLP - Buy it now.

Review by CplSteel posted 553 days ago 6994 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Reivew of Earlex Spray Station HV5500 HVLP - Buy it now. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

LINK: http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage2.aspx?id=2083184&ProdId=33566&

Buy it. If you don’t have a spray gun but have been thinking about it, buy it. If you want to spray, but the cost is too high on those fancy/expensive systems, buy it. If every project needs to have a perfect, auto paint gloss finish, no matter how long it takes, then this is not the product for you.

I have had mine for over a year now and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Sure, I could have spent more to get a finer mist, or see through reservoir, or more bells and whistles, but this thing does it’s job without complaint. I don’t like the center of balance on the handle when loaded with paint, it is uncomfortable to hold after a while. It is louder then I like. But I don’t know if spending more money would fix either one of those problems enough to count. Bottom line is a shop sprayer is there to save you time. Don’t confuse these with an airbursh. You are not going to get those kinds of results. This is a substitute for brushes and rollers. That said, this product saves me time, I am pleased with the results, and I don’t know if any cheaper product could make me as satisfied or a more expensive product do that much of a better job to be worth it. When I put a fine finish on a frame this is not the tool. For just about everything else, this is what I use.

Just remember to thin your paint or finish correctly and turn down the volume until you get the spray you want. Just because it is a sprayer does not mean you can do everything in one, 10 second coat. It still takes time, just not nearly as much as a brush or roller.

Why 4 stars and not 5? Because I reserve 5 stars for that which is perfect in every way. This is not perfect in every way, but I highly recommend it.

View CplSteel's profile

CplSteel

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I own a Coleman air compressor that I have had for a long time, 30 gallon, 5HP. If I had to buy it today, it would be about $400. A just decent gun would be about $40 from Lowes. Here, I get the whole thing in a much more compact package for just under $300. Not bad.
Of course, I can’t check the air pressure in my car tires with this…

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2054 days

I just bought that recently and have used it so far to spray latex on all the floor molding. The only negative I can say for now, is the handle. I have medium size hands, and the grip wasn’t long enough to fill like you had good control of the gun.

-- dragondncr

I have had mine for a cpl yrs. Got it right when the 5500 replaced the 5000. I had a Rockler HVLP that I sold as I wasn’t really happy with it. After watching videos by Charles Neil and the Woodwhisper I decided to get it. I was making an entertainment center and the dye was streaking. This machine sprayed it on perfectly. I got the extra needle and tip, which I believe is a 2.0. It comes with a 1.5 if I remember correctly. The bigger one works well with finishes like Enduro Var by General Finishes.

I just used this sprayer yesterday, on a jewelry box. The cup and gun are made of high quality and it’s a little loud but that isn’t really an issue for me. The cup when full with the hose on is better off being put in the base’s holder to prevent tipping.

There are some deals on the internet or you might be able to use that 20% off at Rockler, not positive.
Enjoy. Glad you like yours…

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

Is there a similar system to this that would allow the application of laquer? Or will this work for laquer as well?

-Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

You can spray any material you want with the 5500 – stains, lacquer, poly, shellac, paints, water borne, water based or oil or solvent based all works great. Thanks for the review CplSteel!

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

View CharlesNeil's profile (online now)

CharlesNeil

Earlextech has it right, you can spray anything, you want the 1.5 needle/nozzle for waterbase, ,shellacs and lacquers, and the 2.0 and I think they have a 2.5 for heavier paints, like latex

View chip73's profile

chip73

I’ve had mine about a year and love it. It sprays great price is right and Earlextech is right hear to answer questions. He’s helped me out and that always helps to give the confidence a boost.

-- Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

I have sprayed 3 or 4 gallons over the last 3 years with the earlier 5000 model. I usually thin finish to be at the low end of the timed viscosity gauge. Since the 5500 has more cfm it should spray the finish better.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View BigRedKnothead's profile (online now)

BigRedKnothead

Been eyein one. Guy at the Woodsmith store said they have had problems with peeling in the cannister if they leave oil based products in there very long. Have you guys had this problem?

-- Red -- "That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." W. Whitman

No my canister still looks new! no problems.

View GuyK's profile

GuyK

I have mine now for sometime. It has raised my finishing skills to a new level. I am very happy with the 5500 and also happy with the customer service. Any questions, just ask Sam.

-- Guy Kroll www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org

View vernonator's profile

vernonator

LOML got me one of these for Christmas this year…and I LOVE it…easy to use OTB and puts down a great surface. Have shot oil and water based poly, shellac and just did some Latex paint (picked up the other two needle sizes). I used to hate the finish process, with the Earlex its way easy….

View LOWI's profile

LOWI

Does it REALLY work with paint? If so I might pull the trigger (pun intended).

View CplSteel's profile

CplSteel

To LOWI – I have put a lot of latex through mine. Just clean it before it dries and its fine. I use a 2.0 and have had no problems.

The only real thing that would improve it in my mind is a way to store the paint without drying between coats. I am always afraid that if I give the paint enough time to dry on my project anything in the sprayer and pot will dry too. Therefore, I clean it out after each coat. If I had a spare pot (or earlex made a cheaper small pot for this purpose) I could keep my paint in the first pot (with a lid Earlex could provide, hint) and use the second to move the water or solvent through the gun.

View GuyK's profile

GuyK

CplSteel, I like your thinking on the small pot and lid. That would save a lot of time and paint.

-- Guy Kroll www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org